Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor on Twitter

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Ive never quite understood why 'a local rag' that clearly relies on Albion fans to help it fill its coffers, employs a non Brighton fan that clearly annoys some people.Surely it would make practical business sense to employ somebody that would attract customers not put them off?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ive never quite understood why 'a local rag' that clearly relies on Albion fans to help it fill its coffers, employs a non Brighton fan that clearly annoys some people.Surely it would make practical business sense to employ somebody that would attract customers not put them off?

He wants success for Brighton as much as we do.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

You could say the same for managers - why not employ someone who loves the club rather than some random foreigner? They're all employed and they'll take their job seriously - Naylor has been covering the Albion for years so whilst he may support another team he definitely wants success for us.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Andy Naylor is fine as a local news journalist - one ingredient he misses is a poetic flourish in his work that John Vinicombe had.

I think the best local football journalist is still Jon Colman who reports for Carlisle.
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-united/jon-colman

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

How many local newspaper reporters cover the team they support, do you think? If nothing else it's a bit of a barrier in the interview process: "Do you support the Albion?" "No." "Sorry, you've not got the job."

I'm not sure it "relies on Albion fans" either.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I might be wrong but over the years whenever any fans have voiced an opinion that he disagrees with, be it Mcghee, Poyet or Ashley Barnes he seems to me to be very quick to dismiss the fans view point and as the local journalist covering the club I don't think he should do that. An example was last week over Barnes, he tweeted: "Last word on the Barnes debate. GP + OG valued him, Burnley admire him, Leeds wanted him and yet some #bhafc fans naively glad to get rid".

Did he need to say that? I'm one of the fans who rated Barnes highly but those who didn't are entitled to their opinion and shouldn't be labelled as "naive" by him.

I think he just put into perspective the view that the people in the game, managers and ex-players, and the fairly persistently vocal lot of fans who had issues with him. You cant blame Barnes for going.

Is it me but some of these posts about Naylor are pretty precious and sadly pathetic. For the record I don't care whether he supports us I just care how accurately he reports our games and us as a club and I think he has improved beyond belief after a dodgy start. I don't think his is an enviable job, even though it would have been my dream job when I was 16.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Would you be happier if they employed a Brighton fan that clearly annoys some people instead? From the perspective of having unbiased journalism it's probably better to have a non-Brighton fan.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Would you be happier if they employed a Brighton fan that clearly annoys some people instead? From the perspective of having unbiased journalism it's probably better to have a non-Brighton fan.

Dear god...the bloke could be an NSC user in the past :eek:

Imagine the amount of GOLD threads that would appear :facepalm:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Far better to have a non-Brighton fan on the local paper than someone who always spouts the club line. You can go to the website for that. It's a tricky job staying onside enough to get access but also occasionally putting out stories that the club and sometimes the fans would prefer not to hear.

As for the idea that all his stories are on NSC first - well, yes, the rumours are. But for every one that's correct on here there are 9 that are b******. At least when I read it Naylor's twitter feed, I know it has some substance and has been checked. Of course it's slower because finding someone who will stand up the story takes time. It's a bit like the difference between Sky News and the BBC. One prioritises speed - the other accuracy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here