Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stargazing Live

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If Stephen Hawking was on NSC, I think he might be able to expand on this a bit more than I can.

I dread to think of the binfest on here if that happened. I have a feeling there are a number of regulars on here who would insist they know more than he does.

More than a tube of Pringles required for that one.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Basically this: the distant galaxies aren't moving away from us through space, the space between us is expanding (imagine dots on an expanding balloon: they're getting further apart not by moving through the rubber but by the rubber's expanding). So although nothing can travel THROUGH space faster than the speed of light, the space itself can expand faster than this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I dread to think of the binfest on here if that happened. I have a feeling there are a number of regulars on here who would insist they know more than he does.

More than a tube of Pringles required for that one.

I did a bit of Physics that involved The Universe, Speed of light and sub-atomic particles etc. It is very demanding and complicated and it is difficult to get your head around the scale of things on a Universal/Sub-Atomic level. I know the basics but much is beyond my ability to comprehend. That's before we start on the real cutting edge stuff like string theory, I used to buy New Scientist and that was a favourite topic but baffled me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While galaxies cannot travel faster than the speed of light, the space between them can expand faster....or something.
Ah, that's what I was after. Maybe that's the answer, thanks.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I did a bit of Physics that involved The Universe, Speed of light and sub-atomic particles etc. It is very demanding and complicated and it is difficult to get your head around the scale of things on a Universal/Sub-Atomic level. I know the basics but much is beyond my ability to comprehend. That's before we start on the real cutting edge stuff like string theory, I used to buy New Scientist and that was a favourite topic but baffled me.

Love the subjects of Cosmology and particle physics. Have read a lot, and say I can follow it roughly - whether I understand it or appreciate the consequences is something else entirely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here