Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
64 Degrees is disliked by certain people whose opinion on food I respect. One of whom reckons the food just isn't up to much, which I profoundly disagree with. Others say it's somewhat pretentious, and as your post indicates, it is a bit stark and lacking in comfort.
Female plebeian Machiavelli -- that's the Mrs -- and I very much enjoyed sitting at the bar, and watching what the chefs were up to, and conversing with them when appropriate. It brings a bit of theatre or, probably better, an appreciation of levels of technique, preparation, etc to the experience. So if you're interested in such things, go for it, but if you want intimacy try elsewhere. Strangely enough, none of the three places to eat out in Brighton I like best -- Chilli Pickle, The Cuthbert and 64 Degrees -- are terribly comfortable. I don't know The Gingerman group that well, so they might be best on that front, or Hotel du Vin.

I love the Gingerman group but it's become a default hence wanting to try something else. Thanks for the feedback on 64 degrees, much appreciated.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I love the Gingerman group but it's become a default hence wanting to try something else. Thanks for the feedback on 64 degrees, much appreciated.

Two things:
1, if you haven't done so already, try The Cuthbert, especially as the last I heard, those that run it are looking to get out
2, I think I read somewhere that you've got a 7yo. Mine's just reached those giddy heights and we've both got a ST this season. I just wanted to know if you take yours, and to evening games, and to any away games?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Two things:
1, if you haven't done so already, try The Cuthbert, especially as the last I heard, those that run it are looking to get out
2, I think I read somewhere that you've got a 7yo. Mine's just reached those giddy heights and we've both got a ST this season. I just wanted to know if you take yours, and to evening games, and to any away games?

1. Cheers. Noted.
2. Yes I have. I got my ST with a mate when both our kids were too young to go but he goes now when my mate can't make it or to FA Cup home games. I feel evening games are too late for him. He wants to do aways but we haven't yet. Would consider Watford or Charlton next season if we're still playing them but, again, feel he's too young for long trips. In any case if I was going to do a long trip if would be with a big group of friends.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to the Gingerman last night ..... nice food which I can't really fault but a little over priced. The presentation was superb but there was just not enough food.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Was looking for somewhere to go tonight and based on this thread I've gone for 64 Degrees. Hope it does the job.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Hutong up the Shard last night. Waited nearly 3 months for a table and settled for a 6pm Thursday night booking !

We went for a couple of drinks at the bar first, rather than go straight to the table, but when being seated we were reminded bookings are only for 2 hours, so we only had about 1h40 left...!

Ordered 6 starters, 3 mains to share between 4.

Highlights were the Chilli shredded chicken, rack of lamb, soft shell crab & pork ribs.

We had dessert but was very average, so I'd avoid dessert and load up on starters and mains.

Excellent food, great drinks, poor dessert and slightly rushed, although partly our fault.

Also so Leigh Francis / Keith Lemon in there

If I was paying, probably wouldn't go back, but was supplier money so very much enjoyed and great views. We all left feeling still a little bit hungry which was disappointing.

8.5/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gourmet Burger Kitchen, post that debacle Saturday afternoon.

It was OK but would not rush back, bit pricey for what it was.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Bistro Nantais was good, but let down on simple but annoying things.

Great looking restaurant and pretty stylish.

Asked to choose our drinks we had to remind the waiter he hadn't given us a drinks menu.

Gravy on the meat seemed to have been forgotten so we had to ask.

No horseradish offered for my beef so I had to wait for him to come back 2 minutes later to ask for it.

Drinks pretty expensive with Amstel £4.30 per pint.

After we paid and left a decent tip nobody said goodbye or thanks. We just left.

It was a Sunday so we had roast beef and lamb. Nice meat and decent veggies.

Sorry to say we won't rush back until the staff are trained better.

Food 7/10. Service 3/10.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Keep an eye on the Lion & Lobster. Big things are about to happen.
I'm pretty sure the upshot of it all will be much better food.
I know how popular it is but I've always been left underwhelmed by the food there.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Finally, we went to The Snowdrop in Lewes for lunch.
Rib eye and chips which was one of the best I have ever had. Really good cut, cooked to perfection and the garlic and herb butter was just amazing.
Brilliant simplicity.

The main problem is what beer to have with it as there's such an amazing varied range.

10/10 and highly recommended.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I recently went to the Walton branch. Nice burgers but as you say a tad expensive. I wasn't taken by the canteen style of service either - queuing up to order your food made it feel very McDonalds like.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I recently went to the Walton branch. Nice burgers but as you say a tad expensive. I wasn't taken by the canteen style of service either - queuing up to order your food made it feel very McDonalds like.

Having to queue up was pretty poor in my view however cost them a tip so perhaps they should re-think.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Okay a takeaway pizza recommendation from me, that you might need to do some work to track down. There regular haunts are Shoreham to Horsham and all points in between.

http://www.thepizzaoven.co.uk/

Wood fired pizza, served from a van. Grab them from one of their regular touring spots on the website, or at an outdoor event this summer. Last night's prices were from £7 for a Margherita up to £10.50 for a Meat Feast, so not the cheapest, but if you like top quality thin crust pizza from a wood burning oven, these are recommended.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Saw a tweet last night from L'Éligse, they've shut up the restaurant and gone back to France. Sad loss.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Can I just do a little shout out for Oo-My on Boundary Road opposite St Andrews Road. I work from home at least once a week and often get lunch here when I do. It's only open at lunchtime and has two tiny tables but does excellent takeaway. The sushi is fresh and delicious (and he will only make it if he considers he has the correct ingredients) and the katsu curry, Samurai sandwich and spicy yakisobas are all excellent. His gyoza dumplingss are too thick for me, mind you. Having lived in Tokyo for 8 months the majority of the menu and the guides to Japanese culture he has take me right back there. He tends to cook in front of you with Buena Vista Social Club or similar on the stereo and it is REALLY good value. Last time I had the yakisoba it was £3.95 for a large tupperware box.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw a tweet last night from L'Éligse, they've shut up the restaurant and gone back to France. Sad loss.

What ever happened to The Arrogant Frog? Did he make a go of his seafront city-centre location?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having to queue up was pretty poor in my view however cost them a tip so perhaps they should re-think.

I was very underwhelmed when I went there which admitedly was some time ago now. They are a long way behind the current UK and Brighton burger scene.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

If you choose to go back there are often money off vouchers available online.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not sure if already mentioned, but a couple of months ago I went to Cote (opposite Corn Exchange) and I thought it was fantastic. Not overly priced and excellent service. I had the lemon sole for main, on their specials board for about £13 and it was huge, overlapping the ends of a big oblong plate.:D Everyone that I was with, 5 people, all enjoyed it but all wished they had ordered the lemon sole!

Definitely going back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here