Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been demolishing burgers of late. Trolls is still número uno and I was pleasantly surprised by the Meat Liquor burgers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Went to Simply Indian opposite the Royal Oak in Borough last night. Fantastic meal, seemed a lot healthier and more authentic than your typical indian and they let you bring in a jug of Harveys from over the road. What's not to like?

Jul 7, 2003
Been demolishing burgers of late. Trolls is still número uno and I was pleasantly surprised by the Meat Liquor burgers.

...and a very good comparison as you had both on the same day:whistle:

Did you get to try Burger Brothers or are you saving that for your next visit?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to Simply Indian opposite the Royal Oak in Borough last night. Fantastic meal, seemed a lot healthier and more authentic than your typical indian and they let you bring in a jug of Harveys from over the road. What's not to like?
A good phall would probably mask the taste of the Harvey :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lunch at Crescent Road Restaurant in Worthing (http://crescentroad.co.uk) and what a delight it was.

At lunch (http://crescentroad.co.uk/lunch-menu/) they essentially reduce the portion size of their dinner servings (http://crescentroad.co.uk/evening-menu/) and serve them as tapas, of sorts. This suited us well and having being able to sample 6 or 7 dishes, I'd feel a bit restricted having to choose a more conventional starter/main selection.

Everything we had was beautifully presented in a "how was this described on the menu?" kind of way. The truffled mushroom risotto was excellent, and I say that as someone who has a bit of an issue with risotto, as it's often the token veggie offering in lazy restaurants. The Goats cheese 'taco' was also a favourite of mine.

It's certainly more fine dining than fun dining but with no pretensions at all. Remarkably good value which I suspect is largely due to an unfashionable Worthing location. We'll go back and you're unlikely to be disappointed if you give it a go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
64 Degrees is smashing. Lady Pevenseagull doesn't eat meat so we stuck to the veggie and fish options sharing three of each of the four options dishes ranged from very good to excellent. We were first in on a Monday night and it was packed by 7. As first to dine we didn't see any of the dishes and whilst I'd heard and read good things I was a bit hesitant about ordering a dish described helpfully as 'cauliflower' for 6 quid. It was terrific.

Whilst booking is pretty much essential you can't reserve a seat, so if you have an interest in cooking it's a good idea to book for opening time to grab a seat viewing the kitchen (some of the seats are stools at a counter facing a wall which I wouldn't like).

Given the quality of the ingredients and the skills of the chefs I thought £80 for two, including a bottle of wine and a generous (well deserved) tip, represented good value. Looking forwards to returning and eating some meat.

I posted something briefer but similar a few weeks back. And you're right that cauliflower dish is delicious. They also always have a dish with an egg in it, which is well worth a go, we had it with smoked haddock, spinach and a cullen skink smear. It was yum. They also had a delicious oats and barley desert, which featured a whisky ice cream. Yum, again.

I found out that the couple at The Cuthbert Arms are looking to sell. If you like 64 Degrees, Big Black and B&HA, you obviously know your stuff, so give it a go while it's still in good hands.

Tried 64 degrees on the strength of NSC recommendations.

The food is indeed wonderful and reasonably priced, as long as you don't mind background noise and a very hurried pace. You have the "table" for an hour and a half. Note table in inverted commas, as we were perched on a counter in the kitchen.

Useless for groups and I suspect finicky eaters. Also if you are expecting a leisurely lunch and tablecloths, this place is best avoided. Otherwise give it a try. I loved the marrowbone, scallops and the venison, but to be honest we tried nine dishes and all were delicious.

So we have now found another competent babysitter & my Mrs is dying to go out for a meal in town. Both of us love modern food and have been lucky enough to eat at the Fat Duck and Tetsuya's in Sydney and the look of the menu, reviews, ingredients and equipment at 64 degrees is making us very, very hungry. Plus she goes a bit gooey at the sight of Chef's whites. On the other hand she is slightly claustrophobic and likes to choose her restaurant tables herself as a result. Plus we go out rarely so the whole three courses with a couple of bottles of wine, white tablecloth, French waiter and probably a violinist if someone could time travel one from the 70s is her idea of a night out with me (poor deluded cow).

64 degrees seems to tick a whole set of boxes and also scare the bejesus out of me. Is the food and theatre experience SO good that it will negate complaints about lack of space, intimacy and time?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The concept and menu of 64degrees seem very, very similar to that I had at Crescent Road at lunch (but not dinner) which i detailed above.

Obviously, I don't expect anyone from Brighton to head to Worthing for a meal but, you know, I thought I'd mention it.

Jul 7, 2003
Lunch at Crescent Road Restaurant in Worthing (http://crescentroad.co.uk) and what a delight it was.

At lunch (http://crescentroad.co.uk/lunch-menu/) they essentially reduce the portion size of their dinner servings (http://crescentroad.co.uk/evening-menu/) and serve them as tapas, of sorts. This suited us well and having being able to sample 6 or 7 dishes, I'd feel a bit restricted having to choose a more conventional starter/main selection.

Everything we had was beautifully presented in a "how was this described on the menu?" kind of way. The truffled mushroom risotto was excellent, and I say that as someone who has a bit of an issue with risotto, as it's often the token veggie offering in lazy restaurants. The Goats cheese 'taco' was also a favourite of mine.

It's certainly more fine dining than fun dining but with no pretensions at all. Remarkably good value which I suspect is largely due to an unfashionable Worthing location. We'll go back and you're unlikely to be disappointed if you give it a go.

Cheers for sharing - hadn't seen this lunch menu option for there. Missus is a bit fussy on her food so this looks like a great chance to try some of their dishes at lower cost.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
So we have now found another competent babysitter & my Mrs is dying to go out for a meal in town. Both of us love modern food and have been lucky enough to eat at the Fat Duck and Tetsuya's in Sydney and the look of the menu, reviews, ingredients and equipment at 64 degrees is making us very, very hungry. Plus she goes a bit gooey at the sight of Chef's whites. On the other hand she is slightly claustrophobic and likes to choose her restaurant tables herself as a result. Plus we go out rarely so the whole three courses with a couple of bottles of wine, white tablecloth, French waiter and probably a violinist if someone could time travel one from the 70s is her idea of a night out with me (poor deluded cow).

64 degrees seems to tick a whole set of boxes and also scare the bejesus out of me. Is the food and theatre experience SO good that it will negate complaints about lack of space, intimacy and time?

64 degrees is terrific food; BUT it is definitely not a classic, fine dining experience. I will certainly return if they maintain the standard of the food .......... bu you ain't going to have an intimate romantic meal in the place. . ............ and the cocktail bar next door is a cocktail bar (i.e. staffed by ********.,************,***********s)

"Is the food and theatre experience SO good that it will negate complaints about lack of space, intimacy and time?" ? I couldn't say, I will state that it's not in the realms of 'Alain Ducasse' but it is in Sussex and good luck to them.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
64 degrees is terrific food; BUT it is definitely not a classic, fine dining experience. I will certainly return if they maintain the standard of the food .......... bu you ain't going to have an intimate romantic meal in the place. . ............ and the cocktail bar next door is a cocktail bar (i.e. staffed by ********.,************,***********s)

"Is the food and theatre experience SO good that it will negate complaints about lack of space, intimacy and time?" ? I couldn't say, I will state that it's not in the realms of 'Alain Ducasse' but it is in Sussex and good luck to them.

Cheers, exactly what I wanted to know :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...and a very good comparison as you had both on the same day:whistle:

Did you get to try Burger Brothers or are you saving that for your next visit?

I did have Burger Bros in mind but I was actually heading to The Hobgoblin for another Trolls. It was to busy and too loud and Meat Liquor was almost next door so I dropped in there. Took Russ to The Bird last night :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Glad you enjoyed it, great little family run place. They do breakfast club once a month, which is amazing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pinocchio, Brighton - post match met the Mrs

Decidedly underwhelming to say the least but think we were undercharged, would not really recommend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If your drunk its not so bad ;)

Last time I was there we were very drunk and I was a student; my friend stole one of those comedy 2' pepper mills from them as well. Not sure why he did this as we were going to a club and he had to sling it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Toscas, Shoreham.

Last went around two years a go, very poor so won't go back for another two years or so and stick to La Galleria forthwith.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

64 Degrees is disliked by certain people whose opinion on food I respect. One of whom reckons the food just isn't up to much, which I profoundly disagree with. Others say it's somewhat pretentious, and as your post indicates, it is a bit stark and lacking in comfort.
Female plebeian Machiavelli -- that's the Mrs -- and I very much enjoyed sitting at the bar, and watching what the chefs were up to, and conversing with them when appropriate. It brings a bit of theatre or, probably better, an appreciation of levels of technique, preparation, etc to the experience. So if you're interested in such things, go for it, but if you want intimacy try elsewhere. Strangely enough, none of the three places to eat out in Brighton I like best -- Chilli Pickle, The Cuthbert and 64 Degrees -- are terribly comfortable. I don't know The Gingerman group that well, so they might be best on that front, or Hotel du Vin.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here