Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Was going to write about our experience in The Swan, next door to The Globe on the South Bank, but it's a bit long and fist-gnawing.

Suffice to say, the thing that stuck in my head most was my partner asking for a 'latte', but being corrected by the waitress saying "... a lot of people say 'latte', but we need to correct them to saying 'lartay'. We refuse to serve people who insist on saying 'latte'..."

£19.00 for a plate of cheese, meat and bread. £14.00 for burger and chips etc.

I'd have ordered the most expensive dish on the menu and walked out before it arrived. South Bank is overrated I think. Might be better once they've got shot of that manky skater bit and the cheap chain restaurants. I may check out the new SWT once they have sorted that lot out. Always enjoy a trip to the globe but the surround is just ghastly 60's concrete depression. There doesn't seem to be that many fit women there either. Just middling Italian birds with greasy boyfriends and Chinese, who are not my cup of tea at all, all straight up and down and nervous looking. Never seen a fit one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd have ordered the most expensive dish on the menu and walked out before it arrived. South Bank is overrated I think. Might be better once they've got shot of that manky skater bit and the cheap chain restaurants. I may check out the new SWT once they have sorted that lot out. Always enjoy a trip to the globe but the surround is just ghastly 60's concrete depression. There doesn't seem to be that many fit women there either. Just middling Italian birds with greasy boyfriends and Chinese, who are not my cup of tea at all, all straight up and down and nervous looking. Never seen a fit one.

The irksome thing was that Borough Market was only a further five minutes away.

And I do like Borough Market.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Quote Originally Posted by Birdie Boy View Post
large pizza or the wife. Great Value!
I hope you went for the pizza.....

Lol.. the ffffing bloody f key don't fffing work!

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
64 Degrees is smashing. Lady Pevenseagull doesn't eat meat so we stuck to the veggie and fish options sharing three of each of the four options dishes ranged from very good to excellent. We were first in on a Monday night and it was packed by 7. As first to dine we didn't see any of the dishes and whilst I'd heard and read good things I was a bit hesitant about ordering a dish described helpfully as 'cauliflower' for 6 quid. It was terrific.

Whilst booking is pretty much essential you can't reserve a seat, so if you have an interest in cooking it's a good idea to book for opening time to grab a seat viewing the kitchen (some of the seats are stools at a counter facing a wall which I wouldn't like).

Given the quality of the ingredients and the skills of the chefs I thought £80 for two, including a bottle of wine and a generous (well deserved) tip, represented good value. Looking forwards to returning and eating some meat.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
64 Degrees is smashing. Lady Pevenseagull doesn't eat meat so we stuck to the veggie and fish options sharing three of each of the four options dishes ranged from very good to excellent. We were first in on a Monday night and it was packed by 7. As first to dine we didn't see any of the dishes and whilst I'd heard and read good things I was a bit hesitant about ordering a dish described helpfully as 'cauliflower' for 6 quid. It was terrific.

Whilst booking is pretty much essential you can't reserve a seat, so if you have an interest in cooking it's a good idea to book for opening time to grab a seat viewing the kitchen (some of the seats are stools at a counter facing a wall which I wouldn't like).

Given the quality of the ingredients and the skills of the chefs I thought £80 for two, including a bottle of wine and a generous (well deserved) tip, represented good value. Looking forwards to returning and eating some meat.

I posted something briefer but similar a few weeks back. And you're right that cauliflower dish is delicious. They also always have a dish with an egg in it, which is well worth a go, we had it with smoked haddock, spinach and a cullen skink smear. It was yum. They also had a delicious oats and barley desert, which featured a whisky ice cream. Yum, again.

I found out that the couple at The Cuthbert Arms are looking to sell. If you like 64 Degrees, Big Black and B&HA, you obviously know your stuff, so give it a go while it's still in good hands.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Was going to write about our experience in The Swan, next door to The Globe on the South Bank, but it's a bit long and fist-gnawing.

Suffice to say, the thing that stuck in my head most was my partner asking for a 'latte', but being corrected by the waitress saying "... a lot of people say 'latte', but we need to correct them to saying 'lartay'. We refuse to serve people who insist on saying 'latte'..."

£19.00 for a plate of cheese, meat and bread. £14.00 for burger and chips etc.

So the waitress bought you a glass of milk?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I posted something briefer but similar a few weeks back. And you're right that cauliflower dish is delicious. They also always have a dish with an egg in it, which is well worth a go, we had it with smoked haddock, spinach and a cullen skink smear. It was yum. They also had a delicious oats and barley desert, which featured a whisky ice cream. Yum, again.

I found out that the couple at The Cuthbert Arms are looking to sell. If you like 64 Degrees, Big Black and B&HA, you obviously know your stuff, so give it a go while it's still in good hands.

Thanks for the heads up, just had a peek at their website. Looking at going out for a treat at the end of the month and that looks ideal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks for the heads up, just had a peek at their website. Looking at going out for a treat at the end of the month and that looks ideal.

The Cuthbert is not as inventive as 64 Degrees, but the cooking is very accomplished and executed, they pair ingredients together well, the portions are big, and the prices are very reasonable for the quality. It's a perfect neighbourhood restaurant/gastro-pub.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Anyone been to kambis out hove? The lebonesse place?
Thinking of going for lunch

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone been to kambis out hove? The lebonesse place?
Thinking of going for lunch

Yep, nice little place with decent food. Food is very reasonably priced and it's BYO so you don't get stung with over priced drinks.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not tried 64 but of the others would only rate The Gingerman, Chilli Pickle and Terre de Terre. Ones we go to regularly are Cote, Pinocchio's. Loved Twenty four in Kemp town. Breakfast at The Farm, North Road is excellent. Burgers trolls pantry in the Hoggoblin and takeaways Burger brothers. For fish I like the Melrose, simple and very good value.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It had a few mentions in last years edition but if you haven't been to hove place yet get yourself along. Excellent inventive dishes with good relaxed service. For cheap eats La choza is always a winner. Inadvertently they will also be based out of the re launched hare and hounds on London rd.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tried 64 degrees on the strength of NSC recommendations.

The food is indeed wonderful and reasonably priced, as long as you don't mind background noise and a very hurried pace. You have the "table" for an hour and a half. Note table in inverted commas, as we were perched on a counter in the kitchen.

Useless for groups and I suspect finicky eaters. Also if you are expecting a leisurely lunch and tablecloths, this place is best avoided. Otherwise give it a try. I loved the marrowbone, scallops and the venison, but to be honest we tried nine dishes and all were delicious.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Off to my fave Tapas restaurant in Sussex tonight... will report back

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Andalucia in Worthing. Absolutely my fave Tapas place in Sussex. Menu slightly smaller than a lot of place, but absolute excellence. Service is typical Spanish style, and can be patchy, but suffice to say stuffed our faces, and all washed down with a lovely Rioja. Consistently full on Fridays + Saturdays, would advice booking ahead by 2 weeks at least.

Also surprise lunch today in Shoreham, after a walk along the beach and then into the town for a coffee, but we stumbled across The Beach House. Really liked this place, proper set up, chefs are visible and seem to be really enjoying what they do. Some great local produce choices, but I went for the Chorizo burger. I'm not really a burger fan unless I am going to a burger speciality place, and not that keen on chips (I know) but this burger was excellent. Hand made patties, lots of flavour (seemed to be horseradish in it possibly), great bun. Missus had the haddock fishcakes which were excellent, with a poached egg and some hollandaise on top.

All in all would recommend it, had a nice 'Saturday' vibe to it today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a new Tapas Bar/restaurant opening or just opened in Haywards Heath in what was Blue India must give it a try, although I am not an authority on Spanish food or Tapas Bars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here