Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I missed the Brum game (bad fan, I know) to eat at Noma over the weekend; if anyone's at all interested, I'll post a review (hmmm, or maybe even start a blog and post a link)...

Interesting read. The important thing you have missed is telling us how you got the table? What was your secret? Or did you just get lucky when reservations opened?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks! I'll do some amendments....

Ta for the feedback.....

Interesting stuff. Sounds like the kind of thing where you could murder a bag of decent fish and chip shop chips afterwards and think "Now THAT'S real food". As i get older, I find myself gravitating towards simple stuff done well. I think I had my fill of Michelin-starred flim-flam when I lived in London in my twenties and early thirties. Don't really fancy it nowadays.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
La Galleria, Shoreham - 7/10

Pretty good but the calamari was slightly disappointing but the main was excellent

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Had lunch in chilli pickle today. I've been before and wasn't fussed but thought I'd give it a another try. Me and companion both had the thali, both were fine, but as before the service lets things down. I was missing a popadom which was eventually dumped on top of my nann which was strangely salty. Food was ok , but we both agreed Indian summer is better. Don't really get the fuss about chilli pickle if I'm honest.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
We're a family of 4 season ticket holders who live about 140 miles away, and I've been trying for years to get the chance to dine in casa Don Carlos. We went for lunch before the Huddersfield game and it was as good as we hoped. between the 4 of us we had 7 tapas dishes, 4 from the specials board and 3 from the menu. All were superb, authentic, good choice of beers and wines, good service, nice authentic food and atmosphere. Not cheap, shelled out 95 quid for lunch for four, but I will go back, and cannot wait for that chance to come. Match day is normally a 10 or 11 hour round trip for us so we don't often get the chance to dine out there, but this was top drawer.

Thank you CDC.

Wedgee

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For splashing the cash for some top nosh, Graze Restaurant on Western Road is superb. The taster menu is expensive, but well worth it for a special occasion treat.

I've not been for a year but personally I think Graze has gone down hill. There is now less choice than say 3 years ago. I also don't appreciate the 12% service charge on top of a price that is already on the high side.

Been to a couple of decent places this weekend :

The Foragers - as usual fantastic service and very good food. The Guinea Fowl was one of the best dishes I've tasted in a long long time. 9/10

Woodies - great burgers if a little on the expensive side. 8/10

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Piccolo's in the Laines the other week, they have a £3.60 lunch menu! Large bowl of Spaghetti Bolognaise for me and large pizza or the wife. Great Value!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Mada Deli/Restaurant on Bridge Road in Hampton Court. A brunch type place with rustic tables. There's quite a lot of choice this end of town and this place looks the most pleasing. Don't be fooled. Very odd place.

I've had coffee in there before and the likes of Mathew McFadden, Tom Hardy and Keeley Hawes can oft be spotted but not the other day. It looks like any normal gaff, bit of effort to make it look a bit retro, nice deli counter, wood. But heavens! The staffing arrangement is most bizarre. Despite some pretty high prices and at my count, 5, maybe 6 staff, they don't do table service even if you are eating. By the time I had got to my table I had seen no less than 4 different menus not counting A boards out the front. We eventually found the relevant menu and had a gander.

Breakfast pie, Breakfast in a pie? I could tell they would have made a **** up of that so we both opted for bacon scramble. Then I had to go to the counter where I was left standing despite no queue, just kind of being eyed up by 3 staff. I picked the one nearest the till. Viking looking woman.

Me "Hello, how are you"
Her " "
Me "Hello How are you"
Her " "
Me "HOW. ARE. YOU"?

Her "yes"

I wanted to leave but was hungry.

She took my order and asked for payment. I got my card out and as she was gazing out of the window she kind of wobbled the chip and pin in my general direction. Then she swiped my card really violently through it for some reason, 4 times until I told her to stop as she was going to snap my card. I ended up signing a receipt thing.

Fair play, quite quick service but disappointing food. Soft, limp bacon, only 2 thin rashers, I would estimate not much more than a desert spoon of scramble and then 4 huge slices of white toast to make it appear like you were getting value for money. Crap.

Took about 2 mins to eat as neither of us eat much bread. Then the weird staffing thing was on show again. A didgy little man came over to clear the table and my friend asked him for an espresso. He didn't lift his head just said "I don't take orders". My friend went to the counter to order it as I was starting to lose my rag. She came back to the table some time later followed by the plate clearer carrying her espresso. Followed a minute later by the Viking who tossed a bill on the table "You must sort this at the end".

I paid the exact amount for the espresso in as much change as I could find and left. Not paying enough there to make a huge fuss but it's hardly budget. 4 rashers of bacon, 2 spoonfuls of scramble, a cup of tea and espresso for about 19 quid is a con job in my opinion especially with the bizarre/rude/ignorant/inefficient staff.

I went there as I had a lady with me, I dunno why. It was the morning after, I'd already put the effort and drained my balls. I shall stick to my Romanian shit hole in future. That place was for dicks. I'm one of God's mistakes.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Had a trip back to Blighty last week and ate in a few new places incl

- Meat Liquor. amazingly fun place to eat on a Friday night. Loads of young hipsters. 90's hip hop soundtrack was playing - struck a chord. Cool waitress. Can't remember much about the food as I was half cut. Cold cans of beer good.
- Nandos, Crawley - first ever visit to a Nandos. Hyped by Albion footballers. Thought it was a bit shit to be honest. Probably haute cuisine for Crawley
- Giggling Squid Hove - pretty good Thai. It was heaving it down outside. The door kept blowing open.
- The Station pub - Hove Station. Surprisingly excellent pizzas - they've got the formula spot on. Large pizza for a fiver during January too. Went back the following day.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Mada Deli/Restaurant on Bridge Road in Hampton Court. A brunch type place with rustic tables. There's quite a lot of choice this end of town and this place looks the most pleasing. Don't be fooled. Very odd place.

I've had coffee in there before and the likes of Mathew McFadden, Tom Hardy and Keeley Hawes can oft be spotted but not the other day. It looks like any normal gaff, bit of effort to make it look a bit retro, nice deli counter, wood. But heavens! The staffing arrangement is most bizarre. Despite some pretty high prices and at my count, 5, maybe 6 staff, they don't do table service even if you are eating. By the time I had got to my table I had seen no less than 4 different menus not counting A boards out the front. We eventually found the relevant menu and had a gander.

Breakfast pie, Breakfast in a pie? I could tell they would have made a **** up of that so we both opted for bacon scramble. Then I had to go to the counter where I was left standing despite no queue, just kind of being eyed up by 3 staff. I picked the one nearest the till. Viking looking woman.

Me "Hello, how are you"
Her " "
Me "Hello How are you"
Her " "
Me "HOW. ARE. YOU"?

Her "yes"

I wanted to leave but was hungry.

She took my order and asked for payment. I got my card out and as she was gazing out of the window she kind of wobbled the chip and pin in my general direction. Then she swiped my card really violently through it for some reason, 4 times until I told her to stop as she was going to snap my card. I ended up signing a receipt thing.

Fair play, quite quick service but disappointing food. Soft, limp bacon, only 2 thin rashers, I would estimate not much more than a desert spoon of scramble and then 4 huge slices of white toast to make it appear like you were getting value for money. Crap.

Took about 2 mins to eat as neither of us eat much bread. Then the weird staffing thing was on show again. A didgy little man came over to clear the table and my friend asked him for an espresso. He didn't lift his head just said "I don't take orders". My friend went to the counter to order it as I was starting to lose my rag. She came back to the table some time later followed by the plate clearer carrying her espresso. Followed a minute later by the Viking who tossed a bill on the table "You must sort this at the end".

I paid the exact amount for the espresso in as much change as I could find and left. Not paying enough there to make a huge fuss but it's hardly budget. 4 rashers of bacon, 2 spoonfuls of scramble, a cup of tea and espresso for about 19 quid is a con job in my opinion especially with the bizarre/rude/ignorant/inefficient staff.

I went there as I had a lady with me, I dunno why. It was the morning after, I'd already put the effort and drained my balls. I shall stick to my Romanian shit hole in future. That place was for dicks. I'm one of God's mistakes.

I hate that. If I'm eating in a restaurant (not cafeteria style), I want to be served, not walk all around the shop myself. Whenever I go somewhere like that, I don't go back - I'm paying for service.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I hate that. If I'm eating in a restaurant (not cafeteria style), I want to be served, not walk all around the shop myself. Whenever I go somewhere like that, I don't go back - I'm paying for service.

Quite. Really lazy bunch mate. It's as if they thought it was good enough to be a good looking place so they can relax and let you get on with it. No excuse for it really. It's all a bit ****ing Regatta around there anyway. Jodhpurs and Gilet set you know?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've not been for a year but personally I think Graze has gone down hill. There is now less choice than say 3 years ago. I also don't appreciate the 12% service charge on top of a price that is already on the high side.

I'd have to disagree, went for a Xmas lunch which was amazing, and a couple of weeks ago. The menu is down to a fine art, much prefer less choice if the chef is perfecting a set amount of dishes. Don't disagree with the service charge, although the service was excellent and a thorough run through of each dish and the origin of the wine served with it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Has anyone tried that French place on Church Road near the floral clock? Can't remember what it's called.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Has anyone tried that French place on Church Road near the floral clock? Can't remember what it's called.

If you mean L'Eglise then yes. It's OK. A bit overpriced and not particularly French. The Arrogant Frog in Brighton is much better.
[h=3][/h]

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Was going to write about our experience in The Swan, next door to The Globe on the South Bank, but it's a bit long and fist-gnawing.

Suffice to say, the thing that stuck in my head most was my partner asking for a 'latte', but being corrected by the waitress saying "... a lot of people say 'latte', but we need to correct them to saying 'lartay'. We refuse to serve people who insist on saying 'latte'..."

£19.00 for a plate of cheese, meat and bread. £14.00 for burger and chips etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here