Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went to Giraffe finally last night, not bad but the menu and decor has changed recently according to Mrs Hut who went there a few months back.

Nice meal but they do only appear to do burgers now.

The one in Brighton?

It's not a Giraffe any more, it's now a spin-off called "Burgers and Cocktails". The clue to the menu is in the name.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Three restaurants with Michelin stars in the last fortnight (all in Birmingham I'm afraid) - Simpsons (fine dining - plush surroundings) Opus (large open plan dining - Dover sole to die for!) Purnells (character chef - bustling bistro atmosphere). Recommend them all to anyone visiting this way but for VFM my vote goes to the Cross at Kenilworth last night (Michelin star standard in a country pub setting)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The one in Brighton?

It's not a Giraffe any more, it's now a spin-off called "Burgers and Cocktails". The clue to the menu is in the name.

Indeed, but it seemed confusing on the website which was what. Is it not owned by Tescos anymore ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went to the Glasshouse restaurant at Wickwood's Country Club on Thursday. Quite a posh venue I suppose, but not at all stuffy. The food was really good, I enjoyed pigs cheeks and guinea fowl, but there were less exotic offerings also available. Followed by Casa Don Carlos on Friday, which is an old favourite.

To complete the hat trick this afternoon, will be Days, which is a favourite of the kids. The food gets better, the further back you go into the restaurant, so I tend to avoid the fried stuff at the front.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Drift at The Heron Tower in Bishopsgate yesterday lunchtime for a quick lunch with an old colleague. The steak sandwich contained the toughest piece of meat I have ever had the misfortune to be served. I could have tied it to my foot and walked around all day with no problems. Needless to say it went back and I won't be going back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First (and last) ever experience of Nandos today at the Marina. Why? Why, if you earn thousands of pounds every week for kicking a football around would you eat here? God help me, this is my second rant today but what a pile of bilge. Basically it's a McDonalds with booze and non-plastic decor. The dry, overcooked chicken I was presented with competed in awfulness with the overpriced chips it was served with that were the same colour as when they came out of the McCain bag. You have two jobs - cook chicken and cook fries - and you sod them both up in opposite directions. No wonder they slather it in hot sauce. My son's lego would taste reasonable slathered in hot sauce but I wouldn't pay good money for it.

Not only was the chicken dry - which is a crime if that's all you sell because even KFC manage to make some of their portions moist - but it was tiny. Quarter chicken? My arse. The poor thing had probably never seen the outside of a cage, its neck wringing a merciful end to a shitty existence if only its next journey hadn't been to be overcooked like Polyfilla by a Polish short order cook.

It speaks volumes that a good deal of their business seemed to come from late teen and early twenties blokes with side partings, trousers that were too short and tight and socks that were too long and ugly eating with each other. FFS what's wrong with the pub. At their age me and my mates would have been on our fifth pint of Kronie and arguing over a pool table rather than refilling each other's cokes and trying to make something that died for nothing look like a lifestyle choice.

How utterly depressing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
First (and last) ever experience of Nandos today at the Marina. Why? Why, if you earn thousands of pounds every week for kicking a football around would you eat here? God help me, this is my second rant today but what a pile of bilge. Basically it's a McDonalds with booze and non-plastic decor. The dry, overcooked chicken I was presented with competed in awfulness with the overpriced chips it was served with that were the same colour as when they came out of the McCain bag. You have two jobs - cook chicken and cook fries - and you sod them both up in opposite directions. No wonder they slather it in hot sauce. My son's lego would taste reasonable slathered in hot sauce but I wouldn't pay good money for it.

Not only was the chicken dry - which is a crime if that's all you sell because even KFC manage to make some of their portions moist - but it was tiny. Quarter chicken? My arse. The poor thing had probably never seen the outside of a cage, its neck wringing a merciful end to a shitty existence if only its next journey hadn't been to be overcooked like Polyfilla by a Polish short order cook.

It speaks volumes that a good deal of their business seemed to come from late teen and early twenties blokes with side partings, trousers that were too short and tight and socks that were too long and ugly eating with each other. FFS what's wrong with the pub. At their age me and my mates would have been on our fifth pint of Kronie and arguing over a pool table rather than refilling each other's cokes and trying to make something that died for nothing look like a lifestyle choice.

How utterly depressing.

Other than that ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Erm, the coke machine worked and the hot sauce isn't any worse than I could make at home. Kazenga eats there. It's not Frankie and Bennies. Or Mcdonalds. Errrrr....

My top tip is NEVER attempt a McDonalds breakfast, what you receive is alarming unlike what you would desire a breakfast to be. A rubberised Egg, a "Sausage Meat " patty and a singular Hash Brown is not anyone's opinion of a Breakfast, well, maybe an officious number crunching portion controlling executive.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Last night went to The Schooner on the coast road by Southwick Marina. Had heard it had been done out and was very impressed. Good range of beers including Porter and craft beer, small but very decent wine range.

There were six of us, three couples, catching up, one of whom is pregnant. She ordered her steak medium to well because of this but reported it was still really tasty and tender. The salt cod was apparently 'awesome' and I had a delicious blackened duck dish, the burnt crispy skin working really well with the soft, tender meat. My friends said the squid in their starter of squid and pork belly was a little over cooked but my crab pasta with mussels was bang on, perfectly balanced.

Bill was circa £30 per head with 5 of us getting fairly well oiled and one not drinking (obvs). VERY good value. The overcooked calamari aside the only complaint I have is that they have squeezed the menu on a one, two-sided, A4 page. In doing so they've had to use a small font which in the dark basement is a little hard to read.

Nevertheless we'll be back, probably a lot. There is literally nothing like it until you get to Shoreham travelling west or Hove east. Craft beer withing a stone's throw of Fishersgate Rec? Who'd have thought it. Does need to be supported by the locals too as not much parking.

On the strength of your recommendation, and good reviews, we tried out the Schooner last night. A mixed bag. It's a really nice pub and they are clearly attracting a good crowd. Very reasonable bar and food prices. Good atmosphere. The problem last night was that they'd clearly taken too many bookings - there were 3 large tables eating upstairs, which were taking all of the front of house and kitchens time. The 4 couples downstairs felt a little abandoned.

Had a lovely duck rillette starter and good mussels. Then we waited around 75 minutes for a main. We both had the Portugese salt cod. It was nice but nothing special - by half 10 when it arrived you have to wonder if it was a true representation of the dish or a bit of an afterthought, as I'm sure the kitchen are not still cooking at that time. The waiter was very odd as well - one of those arrogant jokey types who just comes across as rude. He told the table next to us that their food might be a while, 'so you might as well go upstairs and listen to the band'. We finished and he said 'finished already? You must have been hungry' (we were - we'd waited a long time!), then wandered to the next table and exclaimed 'still going?!'. I asked to move our tab upstairs and he took my card and disappeared, not very professional!

We'd go back because of atmosphere and prices, and many of the mains looked lovely. Just a bit of a shame last night - especially when I told the boss that we'd waited a long time and he did the old 'we're very busy', but conspicuously no apology routine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

How utterly depressing.

I have only ever been to Nandos once and that was enough, ghastly place

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Surprised how good Bill's in Brighton's North Road was. I had not been for a number of years and in the past always thought it overated. Went with the family lots of choice on the menu, steaks, burgers, salads and good choice of specials. Nice range of bottled Harvey's and non alcoholic drinks including ice cream floats. Very attentive and friendly service.

If you like the Indian Summer and Chilli Pickle give the Curry Leaf a go, informal surrounding but high quality curries. Meantime beer on draught, they also do special menus including Indian style brunch Sunday lunchtimes. Well worth a visit.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Recent outings :

Terre a Terre - OK, nice food but too 'rich' for my liking. Can't put my finger on it but I was full but not full. Fantastic flavours for veggie food though - 6/10
Sini - had the Lamb main - wow - tonnes of meat with veg. Girlfriend had the seafood stew and that was fantastic. 9/10

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sunday lunch at the China Palace in Worthing.

http://www.chinapalacerestaurant.co.uk/china_palace_dim_sum_menu.html

15 dishes, plus Chinese tea for 4 and the bill was less than £60 including service.

Considering this was all freshly cooked food to order and the quality was excellent, I can thoroughly recommend this. The restaurant was busy with a nice buzz, but not full. It seems that many people are put off, as the restaurant is on the first and second floors in Chapel Street. They also have a buffet menu, which if the dim sum is anything to go by, must be a better bet than Interwok, which is decidedly average.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I mentioned on another thread a couple of weeks ago about The Coopers Cask in Hove's roast dinner looking amazing. Yesterday, the parents came to visit for the day so decided to test how good the food actually tasted. Not disappointed in the least. A phenomenal piece of beef, couple of Yorkshires, beautiful roasties cooked to perfection, and parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, swede and peas all on one plate. Couldn't eat it all, which is unlike me. At £10.50 it was ridiculous value, and I can honestly say that it is far and away the best roast that I've ever had in a pub/restaurant. If I could have a whinge at all, it's that the pub itself is very small, and possibly got a bit overcrowded. But I'd happily give them a 9/10, and recommend to anyone

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not tried The Schooner yet but heard the roast on a Sunday is very good.

Going to Kaspar's in The Savoy on Saturday night, all the reviews look good, so really looking forward to this.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Took the Family to Into The Blue in Shoreham tuesday night after a couple of recommendations. Strange little place but absolutely superb food including one of the nicest paellas i have had in years. Excellent service and very reasonably priced. Highly recommend this little hidden gem.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I tried Curry Leaf Cafe the other day. It's good, but not as good as Chilli Pickle. Had mackerel for starter and pork vindaloo as a main, which was a pretty good choice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I mentioned on another thread a couple of weeks ago about The Coopers Cask in Hove's roast dinner looking amazing. Yesterday, the parents came to visit for the day so decided to test how good the food actually tasted. Not disappointed in the least. A phenomenal piece of beef, couple of Yorkshires, beautiful roasties cooked to perfection, and parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, swede and peas all on one plate. Couldn't eat it all, which is unlike me. At £10.50 it was ridiculous value, and I can honestly say that it is far and away the best roast that I've ever had in a pub/restaurant. If I could have a whinge at all, it's that the pub itself is very small, and possibly got a bit overcrowded. But I'd happily give them a 9/10, and recommend to anyone

A mate worked there until a couple of months ago. She always raved about the food. Roast is stunning as is most if their menu.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here