Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Since La choza have set up home at the hare and hounds I have paid a few visits. Just as good as in their restaurant and if anything foid seems to come out a lot quicker.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I forgot to report back after visiting 64 Degrees. I liked it - the food was good and it was something a bit different. Not sure I'd go there on a whim if I was in town and hungry though

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Took the lady to the new Byron (posh burgers) in Milton Keynes and it was pretty dire. £30 for two average burgers, decent chips and two 330ml bottles of Coke.

Food was not in the same league as Five Guys- which I rate as the best burger I've had in a restaurant-and cost a fair bit more. The service is also pretty irritating and overwhelming, though I guess some prefer it that way? Feels like you have 10 sets of eyes on you watching over your every bite just longing for some positive feedback.

In conclusion, from my visit I found that Byron is overpriced, overhyped, pretentious garbage and I won't be going back.

Just a final point, neither of us were drinking alcohol as I was driving and she is pregnant, but a 500ml bottle of London Pride was FIVE POUNDS.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My other half introduced me to La Choza the other night. I liked what I had, although could have done with bigger portions. I had some kind of open duck fajitas, nice but there was one particularly hot chili hidden deep within the flayed duck flesh that stopped me in my tracks. I had told the manager I wasn't into really hot food so whether he was testing me or was a genuine mistake I don't know but I recovered and enjoyed the meal. I'd need a couple of return visits to judge properly.

On the burger thing, I like a nice filthy burger but getting bored of the new wave now. I liked the Trolls Pantry on FB and for the next month was bombarded with a tsunami of annoying self promotion and irritating clamouring for feedback. Put me off the whole place.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Can I just do a little shout out for Oo-My on Boundary Road opposite St Andrews Road. I work from home at least once a week and often get lunch here when I do. It's only open at lunchtime and has two tiny tables but does excellent takeaway. The sushi is fresh and delicious (and he will only make it if he considers he has the correct ingredients) and the katsu curry, Samurai sandwich and spicy yakisobas are all excellent. His gyoza dumplingss are too thick for me, mind you. Having lived in Tokyo for 8 months the majority of the menu and the guides to Japanese culture he has take me right back there. He tends to cook in front of you with Buena Vista Social Club or similar on the stereo and it is REALLY good value. Last time I had the yakisoba it was £3.95 for a large tupperware box.

That's a hella good recommendation - Def going to try that

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Just bringing you back to this place. It opens on Monday and should be fantastic. Food looks reasonably priced too.

http://www.craftychooks.co.uk/

The beers have been decided but I can't remember what they are, apart from Conqueror Stout. Sorry !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bringing you back to this place. It opens on Monday and should be fantastic. Food looks reasonably priced too.

The beers have been decided but I can't remember what they are, apart from Conqueror Stout. Sorry !

"CRAFT BEER STEAMED MUSSELS
Tomato and saffron broth, chargrilled flat bread, £12.95"

:facepalm:

Supreme band-wagon jumping.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

£17 for a cooked chicken ? What a mark up. I'm obviously not earning enough money for this place.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
"£17 for a cooked chicken ? What a mark up. I'm obviously not earning enough money for this place."

Not a great mark up at all really, considering it's a free range chicken.
You'll find the GP% won't be very much above 50%.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
"£17 for a cooked chicken ? What a mark up. I'm obviously not earning enough money for this place."

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. No way on God's green earth would that cost 8.50 to produce. If it does and I'm indeed wrong then they obviously have the wrong suppliers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Are you saying that GP% is Gross Profit ? if so even 50% profit is one hell of a profit. Most supermarkets make only 30-40% gross profit and the likes of Aldi and Lidl work to much lower gross profit thereby undercutting the likes of Tesco, Sainsburys etc.
The menu states that their chickens are free range, locally sourced so I'm assuming they have cut a deal with a local producer ? So, a quick check on the Aldi web site, a 1.5 Kg free range whole chicken is £4.99, I would assume that buying direct from the local producer would mean paying about £3.50 max for the chicken. So after being cooked by the minimum waged employees this chicken becomes £17. I got to get in to this business.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Spent a very pleasant evening at Langshot Manor in Horley at the weekend. Five course taster menu is very very good. The pork 3 ways main and the mushroom tagliatelle were both fantastic. The garden vegetable starter was .... well .... unusual but clever nether the less ( the malt used for the earth wasn't a brilliant taste ).

Stunning truffle desert. Wine a bit pricey but all in all worth an 8/10.
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - you'll like this as you like Ockenden.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Are you saying that GP% is Gross Profit ? if so even 50% profit is one hell of a profit. Most supermarkets make only 30-40% gross profit and the likes of Aldi and Lidl work to much lower gross profit thereby undercutting the likes of Tesco, Sainsburys etc.
The menu states that their chickens are free range, locally sourced so I'm assuming they have cut a deal with a local producer ? So, a quick check on the Aldi web site, a 1.5 Kg free range whole chicken is £4.99, I would assume that buying direct from the local producer would mean paying about £3.50 max for the chicken. So after being cooked by the minimum waged employees this chicken becomes £17. I got to get in to this business.

Typically when referencing GP on food costs such as staff or energy is excluded. Most places generally operate to at the minimum 60%.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spent a very pleasant evening at Langshot Manor in Horley at the weekend. Five course taster menu is very very good. The pork 3 ways main and the mushroom tagliatelle were both fantastic. The garden vegetable starter was .... well .... unusual but clever nether the less ( the malt used for the earth wasn't a brilliant taste ).

Stunning truffle desert. Wine a bit pricey but all in all worth an 8/10.
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - you'll like this as you like Ockenden.

:thumbsup: I will look this up. Thanks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Typically when referencing GP on food costs such as staff or energy is excluded. Most places generally operate to at the minimum 60%.

Well, that's helped a lot. Lets start again, what is the profit margin after costs, IE, the profit margin ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Admittedly a few years ago now but when I worked in hotels the Head Chefs were targeted on 80% GP.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Well for a start you need to take the VAT off the £17 before working it out. They're actually taking £14.16.
It all depends on the quality of the chicken you buy. Looking at the Aldi website and then
deciding you can buy one for £3.50 is rediculous.
A really big, top quality free range chicken will cost north of £6. Let's say they cost £6.25 which will be pretty close. Even before you add any coating let alone staff costs, energy bills etc, it's a GP of 55%.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well for a start you need to take the VAT off the £17 before working it out. They're actually taking £14.16.
It all depends on the quality of the chicken you buy. Looking at the Aldi website and then
deciding you can buy one for £3.50 is rediculous.
A really big, top quality free range chicken will cost north of £6. Let's say they cost £6.25 which will be pretty close. Even before you add any coating let alone staff costs, energy bills etc, it's a GP of 55%.

Thanks for that. But, I bet you don't get a " really big,top quality free range Chicken " for your £17.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here