Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did BHA make from yesterdays game?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think the club would have done well out of pies and pints etc.

They don't share that revenue.

TB

The caterers might have done well, the club only receive a percentage of profits unless this new lot have a different contract.

Considering how often they run out of pies and beer their profits won't be that good.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That intrigued me too. So it's being claimed that Reading are getting 45% of the gate receipts AND we're paying their travel and accommodation costs (why not their wages?) too. If that's the case, it's a good job we got an away draw for the fourth round.

Doesn't quite work like that as the Albion can deduct their costs too before splitting the net receipts

The net gate receipts due from a match (except replayed matches in consequence of a
breach of the Rules) shall be the total ticket sales for the match less VAT, the travelling
(and possibly accommodation) expenses of the Visiting Club, the fees and expenses of the
Match Officials, and other match expenses allowed under the Competition Rules (which
include costs relating to gate attendants, turnstile operators, stewards, weather reports,
police charges, floodlighting in accordance with the Competition Rules, contributions to the
costs of First Aid Helpers and any costs relating to clearing the ground of snow and water
provided the Visiting Club is consulted beforehand on the approximate costs)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
On the gate receipts, realistically had the prices not been reduced, we could only have expected 10,000 maximum at a £35 average so c.350k vs 20,000 @ £12 a ticket = 240k. Leaves a shortfall of 110k, this means that the extra 10,000 would only have to spend £10 per head to cover it.

There are 2 other things a little less easy to calculate. Had we only attracted 10,000 fans then there would have been no need to have the whole ground open so we have a reduced cost there vs the very difficult to calculate long term benefit of attracting new fans courtesy of having the opportunity to attend at a reduced rate.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
On the gate receipts, realistically had the prices not been reduced, we could only have expected 10,000 maximum at a £35 average so c.350k vs 20,000 @ £12 a ticket = 240k. Leaves a shortfall of 110k, this means that the extra 10,000 would only have to spend £10 per head to cover it.

There are 2 other things a little less easy to calculate. Had we only attracted 10,000 fans then there would have been no need to have the whole ground open so we have a reduced cost there vs the very difficult to calculate long term benefit of attracting new fans courtesy of having the opportunity to attend at a reduced rate.

I'm not sure your numbers stack up because

1: 1901 members don't have to pay for Cup games, as it is part of their fee.
2: There is no way we would have averaged £35 a ticket because of concessions for kids and seniors.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I went up on Sat with a bunch of people who attend maybe 1 or 2 games a season. They spent £15 a pop on tickets, a fair bit in the club shop and loads at the bar. None would have gone if it was north of £30 to get in.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not sure your numbers stack up because

1: 1901 members don't have to pay for Cup games, as it is part of their fee.
2: There is no way we would have averaged £35 a ticket because of concessions for kids and seniors.

Fair play, do we accept the overarching theme that the per head spend wouldn't have to be huge to cover the shortfall from the reduced ticket price? Factor in the long term "new fan" value and I suspect the decision made sense commercially.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
The caterers might have done well, the club only receive a percentage of profits unless this new lot have a different contract.

Considering how often they run out of pies and beer their profits won't be that good.
You could be right but I suspect Mr Barber has got a far better deal than the pre Barber mob negotiated.

In respect of profits on sales, I suspect they are far better when selling out than when having a large stock left at the end.

However all that said, the club put tickets at a tenner a piece for good reason, they didn't do it as a late Xmas present.

TB

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair play, do we accept the overarching theme that the per head spend wouldn't have to be huge to cover the shortfall from the reduced ticket price? Factor in the long term "new fan" value and I suspect the decision made sense commercially.

I agree with you entirely. The pricing for the match generated nearly universal approval, (compared to the Newcastle FA Cup game last season) and generated goodwill. PB got it spot on IMO.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Given that wages are paid no matter what then we really should be including the prize money. There's also the fact that we'll now get income from the 4th round tie (though not much). Set against that if we paid win bonuses then that'll be the prize money gone, plus midweek v Leeds will make less than Saturday v Leeds.

Anyway, my personal tally from yesterday was £30 on tickets, two programmes (never normally get one but had two kids with me), two Albion wristbands, one pair of gloves, a burger, a pie and a hot dog with soft drinks. No Harvey's as I had the kids and I'm doing dry January but that's more than I'd usually spend on extras plus the club has two, new, confirmed young fans.

Priceless.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You could be right but I suspect Mr Barber has got a far better deal than the pre Barber mob negotiated.

In respect of profits on sales, I suspect they are far better when selling out than when having a large stock left at the end.

However all that said, the club put tickets at a tenner a piece for good reason, they didn't do it as a late Xmas present.

TB
The £10 ticket price didn't apply to all parts of the stadium. My seats were £15 and that price went along the East and West Lower-not sure how far exactly but a fair few adult seats at that price, at least two blocks either side of the half way line. Probably more.

When I said pies had run out, that was 25 minutes before kick off in the 2 large kiosks in the East Lower. No excuse for that level of poor planning. They did re-stock but like many many more I was already in my seat so they lost loads of sales.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dont know if we made or lost money on the day but 2 of the 8 people i went with who hardly ever go , will be season ticket holders next season , might not sound much on its own but i would wager these 2 will not be the only newbies next season buying a season ticket .

Probably would'nt of gone myself if it was more than £20 a ticket so in the long run the club got it right imo .

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Have not read all through the thread...everybody seems to focus on the gate money and sales....but do not the club get £67,000 for going through from the FA.?

Dec 29, 2011
I think you find I do have a clue. I responded by listing all the revenue streams that would MAKE THE CLUB MONEY!! Even you have admitted that the programmes will make a profit. I never said it he club would make huge amounts but it will be a profitable afternoon not a loss making occasion.

So you know all the operating costs then? Electricity, overheads, part time staff, appearance fees etc? Didn't think so, you can't say for sure we made a profit.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
So you know all the operating costs then? Electricity, overheads, part time staff, appearance fees etc? Didn't think so, you can't say for sure we made a profit.
When have I claimed I knew all the operating costs?The players contracts will include FA cup games so appearance fees won't be a issue . Regarding bonus payments I'm sure the club have factored in bonus fees payments based on a realistic attendance for a third round tie. Seeing that you can't guarantee a home draw it has to be based on the prize money for that round. I would of thought the this comes more into play if you go deeper into the tournament. I'm sure the electric bill can be paid out of a crowd of 20,000 and it's been mentioned costs are taken out before the the gate receipts are split. All other revenue streams we collect 100% of the profit .
So a question to you how can you know a loss will be made on this one game?

Dec 29, 2011
When have I claimed I knew all the operating costs?The players contracts will include FA cup games so appearance fees won't be a issue . Regarding bonus payments I'm sure the club have factored in bonus fees payments based on a realistic attendance for a third round tie. Seeing that you can't guarantee a home draw it has to be based on the prize money for that round. I would of thought the this comes more into play if you go deeper into the tournament. I'm sure the electric bill can be paid out of a crowd of 20,000 and it's been mentioned costs are taken out before the the gate receipts are split. All other revenue streams we collect 100% of the profit .
So a question to you how can you know a loss will be made on this one game?

1) I didn't say we made a loss, I was responding to you calling another poster clueless when your post had no more fact than his.
2) Appearance fees wouldn't have been paid if we didn't play the FA cup game. Appearance fees are only paid when a player makes an appearance. Who'd have thought?
3) You listed all revenue streams, but without knowing overheads you couldn't possibly know if we made a profit or not.
4) We don't collect 100% of profit from all revenue streams, this is a bit of a silly statement.

This is boring now, the fact is we probably made a slight profit, but we can't know for sure so it's probably not clever to call other posters clueless when you yourself haven't presented much of an understanding to the situation either.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
1) I didn't say we made a loss, I was responding to you calling another poster clueless when your post had no more fact than his.
2) Appearance fees wouldn't have been paid if we didn't play the FA cup game. Appearance fees are only paid when a player makes an appearance. Who'd have thought?
3) You listed all revenue streams, but without knowing overheads you couldn't possibly know if we made a profit or not.
4) We don't collect 100% of profit from all revenue streams, this is a bit of a silly statement.

This is boring now, the fact is we probably made a slight profit, but we can't know for sure so it's probably not clever to call other posters clueless when you yourself haven't presented much of an understanding to the situation either.

Appologies for saying you said we made a loss but I responded to a blank statement saying we made a loss with no explanation, that to me seems clueless. I listed the areas we would make money but realise costs are involved and I can't see Reading taking a cut of the pies sold for example.
Best we agree to differ. Cause you are 100% right it's getting very boring lol

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here