Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did BHA make from yesterdays game?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
It appears you don't have a clue either, so dougdeep is as entitled to his opinion as you are yours. A loss isn't unfeasible but the prize money probably means we at least break even. All the stuff you mentioned doesn't bring in as much money as you'd imagine, we have to pay for use of the car parks, and food+drink is on a contract where we probably only make a small % of profit, and programmes probably fetch about £7,000 max per game, about half of a weekly wage.
I think you find I do have a clue. I responded by listing all the revenue streams that would MAKE THE CLUB MONEY!! Even you have admitted that the programmes will make a profit. I never said it he club would make huge amounts but it will be a profitable afternoon not a loss making occasion.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
In FA Cup games the home club has to pay travel expenses for the away team , it is set out in the competition rules (rule 23 - matchday expenses). These are claimed back as matchday expenses and deducted from the gross takings.

I'm sure it's worked out on a milage and standard night rate formula. If not a ceiling will be in force.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oops. I shall eat my humble pie then.

Although I was sitting with a club employee at the time I wrote that and he was unaware. Given his position I was pretty sure he would know. I will save him the blushes and take the wrap myself.
If you think about all the small clubs who might have to play half a dozen preliminary rounds just to make it to the 1st round proper some of them wouldn't be able to take part if they didn't get reimbursed for their travelling expenses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Given that wages are paid no matter what then we really should be including the prize money. There's also the fact that we'll now get income from the 4th round tie (though not much). Set against that if we paid win bonuses then that'll be the prize money gone, plus midweek v Leeds will make less than Saturday v Leeds.

Anyway, my personal tally from yesterday was £30 on tickets, two programmes (never normally get one but had two kids with me), two Albion wristbands, one pair of gloves, a burger, a pie and a hot dog with soft drinks. No Harvey's as I had the kids and I'm doing dry January but that's more than I'd usually spend on extras plus the club has two, new, confirmed young fans.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think you find I do have a clue. I responded by listing all the revenue streams that would MAKE THE CLUB MONEY!! Even you have admitted that the programmes will make a profit. I never said it he club would make huge amounts but it will be a profitable afternoon not a loss making occasion.

You didn't list the advertising revenue for the electronic hoardings, that would have been extra over what they advertisers pay for league games.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Given that wages are paid no matter what then we really should be including the prize money. There's also the fact that we'll now get income from the 4th round tie (though not much). Set against that if we paid win bonuses then that'll be the prize money gone, plus midweek v Leeds will make less than Saturday v Leeds.

Anyway, my personal tally from yesterday was £30 on tickets, two programmes (never normally get one but had two kids with me), two Albion wristbands, one pair of gloves, a burger, a pie and a hot dog with soft drinks. No Harvey's as I had the kids and I'm doing dry January but that's more than I'd usually spend on extras plus the club has two, new, confirmed young fans.

So numbers on the back of a fag packet tells me you spent around £40 on extras,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So numbers on the back of a fag packet tells me you spent around £40 on extras,

About 40. Programmes were £2.50 yesterday & there was a sale at the shop.

The best thing though was the text I got from my son's mate's mum thanking me for taking him & saying what a great time he'd had. You literally cannot buy that!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

The best thing though was the text I got from my son's mate's mum thanking me for taking him & saying what a great time he'd had. You literally cannot buy that!

Priceless, could take him to a cat c game still very cheap for kids especially under 10

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Paul Barber is pleased by the number of first timers who went to the game yesterday , many of them children who will now hopefully have a lifelong addiction to The Albion.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Didnt they say 12k a game was needed to break even on match days in our first season when tickets were a bit cheaper? (Obviously ignoring revenue of 55% lost)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Paul Barber is pleased by the number of first timers who went to the game yesterday , many of them children who will now hopefully have a lifelong addiction to The Albion.

It was great to see, especially as quite a few looked to be buying tickets to a future fixture as well as our having big queues in the club shop before and after the game so it must have been good for the club to have a different mix of fans to the crowd of mainly ST holders at league fixtures

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

For a tenner and your mobile number I'll send you a text saying the same thing!

We only lose 55% of revenue in FA cup games.

Don't forget though, for league games we don't lose any revenue yet we still make a loss of £8m a year!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting about paying the visiting teams accommodation and transport, I never knew that, is that the case for all matches, or just FA Cup games?

I wonder how much extra revenue was generated from the electronic advertising hoardings. The adverts yesterday will have been extras for the regular advertisers, so would have to be paid for. And the FA Cup specific ads would have generated additional revenue too.

That intrigued me too. So it's being claimed that Reading are getting 45% of the gate receipts AND we're paying their travel and accommodation costs (why not their wages?) too. If that's the case, it's a good job we got an away draw for the fourth round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here