Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Reading cup player ratings

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought Ashley Barnes had a decent game yesterday. One of the better players certainly. But scores of eight upwards? I think people are over-generous on here sometimes.

I wouldn't give anyone more than a seven. Reading were poor. We played quite well.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Brezovan (7) Confident, good display
Calderon (7) Busy, accurate and workmanlike, another good overall display
Greer (7) Solid, tidy and gave confidence
El Abd (7) As above but a little hesitant at times
Chicksen (7) Good runs in first 20 mins not noticed or delivered too, but bodes well for the future
Andrews (7) Good overall performance
Crofts (8) Excellent work rate, great shooting and good goal
Agustien (6) Good work, not enough confidence and hesitant in front of goal
Forster-Caskey (7) Good display but not his busiest, good tackling
March (8) Looking forward to seeing more, great display, solid performance and very workmanlike (MoM)
Barnes (7) Good display, held the ball up well and great work rate

Subs

Orlandi (5) Looking forward to seeing him match fit
Dunk (5) Understandably rusty but reasonable performance
Lua Lua (7) Great run, especially when left two defenders standing looking at each other, drop the show boating someone will break your legs!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Agustien (6) Good work, not enough confidence and hesitant in front of goal

What you saw as hesitancy I saw as the most encouraging sign of the whole match. Kemy instead of blasting the ball goalwards at the first opportunity used a bit of nous. My MOM and I thought he was very mobile, and like Andrews, played all over the park. Agustein looked like the answer to many of our deficiencies at home.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What you saw as hesitancy I saw as the most encouraging sign of the whole match. Kemy instead of blasting the ball goalwards at the first opportunity used a bit of nous. My MOM and I thought he was very mobile, and like Andrews, played all over the park. Agustein looked like the answer to many of our deficiencies at home.

I agree with all of this apart from one thing. It wasn't hesitancy in front of goal, it was over-elaboration, something that he's prone to, but I'm willing to live with, given his unquestionably advanced ability, alongside what appears to be a commitment to get into shape.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I agree with all of this apart from one thing. It wasn't hesitancy in front of goal, it was over-elaboration, something that he's prone to, but I'm willing to live with, given his unquestionably advanced ability, alongside what appears to be a commitment to get into shape.

Sometimes over elaboration (in the case of Lopez) is because Lopez is only good on his right foot. So I was looking at this with Agustien, and this did not appear to be the case. He just lined for a shot and when the defender committed he tried to find a gap to try and shoot through. He covered a lot of ground as well, spotted back in defensive midfield. Favourable signs.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages

Starters - 24 Votes
March 7.67 (80mins)
Barnes 7.52
Crofts 7.42
Andrews 7.21
Brezovan 7.21
El-Abd 7.13
Chicksen 7.10
Greer 6.83 (67min)
Calderon 6.71
Agustien 6.67 (65min)
Forster-Caskey 6.54

Subs - 17 Votes
Lualua 7.15 (15min)
Orlandi 6.53 (30min)
Dunk 6.47 (28min)

Squad Average - 7.01

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

What you saw as 'nous' I saw as show-boating.......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Averages

Starters - 24 Votes
March 7.67 (80mins)
Barnes 7.52
Crofts 7.42
Andrews 7.21
Brezovan 7.21
El-Abd 7.13
Chicksen 7.10
Greer 6.83 (67min)
Calderon 6.71
Agustien 6.67 (65min)
Forster-Caskey 6.54

Subs - 17 Votes
Lualua 7.15 (15min)
Orlandi 6.53 (30min)
Dunk 6.47 (28min)

Squad Average - 7.01

Harsh on Forster-Caskey he had a very good game.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Understand what you are saying but I feel it's a balance, I fully appreciate he's not a player who just tries to get his stats up by whacking it towards the goal, however, I feel he had opportunities to strike the ball. Some players wait for the perfect moment and they do have success doing that, but the real goal scorers take chances. That said, I agree he's a good prospect for us.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure how so many players averaged over seven in what was, in reality, a pretty standard performance against a poor Reading side. I can only imagine the sky-high scores if we won a game three or four nil.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought Ashley Barnes had a decent game yesterday. One of the better players certainly. But scores of eight upwards? I think people are over-generous on here sometimes.

I wouldn't give anyone more than a seven. Reading were poor. We played quite well.

Other than the missed header I don't think he literally put a foot wrong. Worked harder than anyone on the pitch in getting forwards and back constantly to both break up play and then spearhead an attack.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure how so many players averaged over seven in what was, in reality, a pretty standard performance against a poor Reading side. I can only imagine the sky-high scores if we won a game three or four nil.

We dominated the first half and could've easily been 2 or 3 up. We hit the bar 3 times. On paper that Reading side should've beaten us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He was one of the better players. But in a very average game.

A fairly boring game for the neutral but in the first half we showed plenty of quality. He should've had two assists as well, if Kemy had been bothered to shoot.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We dominated the first half and could've easily been 2 or 3 up. We hit the bar 3 times. On paper that Reading side should've beaten us.

Agree with this. Alongside hitting the bar three times, we had a host of good chances in the first half. It was probably the best first half we've played at home all season, and was great to see March play, Agustein developing into the team, etc. I think Walt is being a tad harsh.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Maybe we're just a bit starved of decent performances at home. Reading weren't great but that was partly down to how well we played and they played a better than some teams we've failed to beat this season

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here