Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Travel Subsidy Tomorrow

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Would there be any way to make Season Tickets compatible with the new Southern Key system (the Oyster card equivalent)?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Same as above, but overall throughout the season we are paying MORE with the 'subsidy'. I, and many others from the East, pay more with the subsidy rather than less. I pay about £30 extra in travel.

It is about time we had the option of opting out - for those that it benefits then go for it, for others that do not benefit then opt out. I know you are going to get people on here saying leave it, or its great, but those will be the people that are getting a benefit from it. IMHO

Absolutely this. Anyone east of Lewes will be better off tomorrow than had a travel levy been added to the ticket. There are two options next season to make the scheme farer:

1 - Scrap it altogether.

2 - Shuffle the free travel boundaries. For Example, they could start at Polegate, Newhaven, Wivelsfield and Southwick. The boundaries were drawn up to reflect the location of Withdean. With the stadium being located at Falmer, the scheme is unfair to those east of Lewes as the travel levy they pay is more than the difference of a return ticket between Lewes and Falmer.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
But this is just because there is bugger all after Lewes until you get to at least Polegate, and even that isn't exactly a substantial town. You've got to travel 20 miles east from The Amex until you find any population of note, with the exception of Lewes, which is included. Go the same distance in the other direction and you'll find far larger populations in places like Shoreham, Southwick, Lancing and Worthing. So it's just BHAFC serving its customers and providing for the majority, rather than drawing an even circle around The Amex and then finding out no sod lives in half of it.
Polegate station also caters for all those from Hailsham. That is a substantial enough population.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
But this is just because there is bugger all after Lewes until you get to at least Polegate, and even that isn't exactly a substantial town. You've got to travel 20 miles east from The Amex until you find any population of note, with the exception of Lewes, which is included. Go the same distance in the other direction and you'll find far larger populations in places like Shoreham, Southwick, Lancing and Worthing. So it's just BHAFC serving its customers and providing for the majority, rather than drawing an even circle around The Amex and then finding out no sod lives in half of it.

Perfectly put! If they extended the zone to Polegate, then I'd want it extended to Goring as well. It's only fair. But to be honest, they should just scrap it all together.

lenny

Jul 19, 2005
BEXHILL-ON-SEA
I don't know how many people will be using the Park and Ride at Mill Road and Mithras House but it could cause a lot of problems. Where will the £4 tickets be sold as you drive into the car park or as you enter the bus. Either way it is going to cause delays. Also the stewards selling the tickets are going to be carrying a lot of cash. A big security issue!

You do realise that those directions were for coming FROM the East, don't you?

Traveling Eastbound, I imagine the best place to come off the A27 is at the university / stadium junction and then re-join it heading West. You can then follow those directions. You might want to be early, though, as that junction gets very busy. Alternatively, get off at the Coldean / Hollingbury junction and head down Coldean Lane.

Yeah I did realise that after I read the reply . Thanks for the eastbound directions sully.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Would there be any way to make Season Tickets compatible with the new Southern Key system (the Oyster card equivalent)?

They're based on the national standard (that's why they work on Brighton Buses too) so I would think that it is possible at some future point. I don't know if there'd be an issue with providing two systems in one card though.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yeah I did realise that after I read the reply . Thanks for the eastbound directions sully.

Apols me being dim ... here's the directions from West. A lot depends on the time but assuming you're aiming to arrive 1-30 - 2.00 I'd go this way. If the Hollingbury ramp is really jammed up (not often) then I normally go straight past the stadium as the off ramp there is always choca and down to Kingston roundabout and back up. Anyway here you go

Come off the A27 at the Hollingbury turn off. There will be 2 lanes of traffic queuing up the ramp and go on the inside lane. At the roundabout at top carry on straight across and up over the hill and then bear right down to the hill (Coldean Lane) which go's back under the A27. At the bottom by the Hikers rest pub turn left at the lights and go about 500 yards before turning left at the next lights into Stanmer Park. Carry on this lane for about 700 yards going past the park and into the University. Stewards will be at entrance and tell you which number car park to use

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Nothing, I get my own personal taxi service too and from every game anyways..

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Given that I am 9 times out of 10 greeted by complete bemusement from bus drivers (and unbelievably STILL sometimes refused) when I jump on and show the ticket, I reckon there is no chance that they will be briefed to not accept them tomorrow.

So I am blatantly just going to show my season ticket and travel free anyway.

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
Berwick-Lewes rtn - £4.80
Berwick-Falmer rtn - £6.70

So £1.90 extra for me tomorrow, no idea how much the season subsidy is.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They're based on the national standard (that's why they work on Brighton Buses too) so I would think that it is possible at some future point. I don't know if there'd be an issue with providing two systems in one card though.

I suppose the problem is anyone coming from outside the zone would have to get off the train to tap in and get back on another train (for example anyone coming from Worthing would need to tap in at Shoreham).

Not a bad idea for anyone whose journey is contained in the travel zone though.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The way things are going tonight what are the chances of trains tomorrow ???

Since no one has the ability to look into the future - who knows.

Full revenue protection at stations too - and you can't exactly plead ignorance to not knowing as the club has provided info for over a month. British Transport Police and Southern RNOs will be involved in the operation too so people don't kick off.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Since no one has the ability to look into the future - who knows.

Full revenue protection at stations too - and you can't exactly plead ignorance to not knowing as the club has provided info for over a month. British Transport Police and Southern RNOs will be involved in the operation too so people don't kick off.

What's the betting someone will be on here tomorrow night moaning because they copped a penalty fare ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here