Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Travel Subsidy Tomorrow

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It can stop you getting a US visa ? Christ never knew it could stop you getting one of those - it's almost as if it isn't worth being so right and skip a few quid.

Of course it will not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You will , try checking out the law of the land and railway byelaws

It will not stop you getting a visa. Serious crime yes. Minor crime no.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
It will not stop you getting a visa. Serious crime yes. Minor crime no.

It prevents you using the Visa Waiver Programme, meaning you need to go to the embassy if you want to go on a brief holiday. It will also make it extremely difficult to get a multi-entry working visa.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It prevents you using the Visa Waiver Programme, meaning you need to go the embassy if you want to go on a brief holiday. It will also make it extremely difficult to get a multi-entry working visa.

True about the waiver. But the point was it will stop you getting a visa. Which it will not.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Usual Southern lickers wrong again. NO checks at Falmer

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Usual Southern lickers wrong again. NO checks at Falmer

Probably because most stations HAVE barriers, the ones at Brighton certainly stopped people, as would have the ones at Lewes - so not actually wrong.

Seaford line could have done with some checks though, Southern neglected that.

Probably because most stations HAVE barriers, the ones at Brighton certainly stopped people, as would have the ones at Lewes - so not actually wrong.

Seaford line could have done with some checks though, Southern neglected that.
The queues for the ticket machine at the car park entrance to Lewes station were ridiculously long (mainly down to folk who seem to have no idea how to use a ticket machine). I wasn't prepared to wait 20 minutes to buy a ticket, so just operated the "Push this Button for Assistance" button at the unstaffed barrier, and it let me and about 20 other people into the station.

No ticket checks on the journey - but I was happy to buy a ticket from the staffed ticket office at Falmer for the return journey.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
They're still working on this. Key Cards are issued by B&H Buses, Metrobus Buses and Southern Rail - but they are not interchangeable even among these three companies (even though they are all part of the Go Ahead Group). I believe the first steps towards interavailability will happen later this year.

Why so slow? God knows. I was a member of a regional working group back in the 1990s that was trying to ensure that a single smartcard might be developed to cover all bus, tube and rail services throughout the South East (including London) - but nothing much came of this, largely because of squabbles about detail, that focused on technical issues, rather than customer convenience. Eventually, London Buses and London Underground got fed up with the lack of progress and went their own way with Oyster. That now leaves everyone with the problem of integrating Oyster with The Key.

Getting other smartcard systems (like Albion season tickets, Nectar Cards and Costa Coffee Cards) all working the same way is a dream - but I'm not holding my breath. I guess someone might invent a universal system sooner or later. I've got a great idea for the brand name. It could be called "Cash".

I know you can use the Southern issued cards on Brighton and Hove buses when you have Plus Bus, although you're right in that you can't have a single card and load arbitrary products from any of the travel providers you've listed. I assume that'll be the end game as they're using the ITSO standard. Obviously you know more about this than me, but that's my current understanding.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here