Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The JAZZ thread

Nov 14, 2011
Hassocks
Heads up for a free (at the moment) Amazon sample download of "Record Kicks 10th Anniversary Sampler", which contains a fair smattering of modern Club Jazz. It's a steal even if you only like one track. Apparently, they're an Italian record label but have some heavy support from the likes of Craig Charles, Andy Smith & Snowboy.

Disclaimer:- I have no connection to any company mentioned although feel I should be on an Amazon discount scheme.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was hoping someone would start one of these threads on jazz, I'm desperate to get a bit more with it. I've been slowly working my way through most of the jazz classics in recent years. Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Pharoah Saunders, Coltrane, Sun Ra, Herbie Hancock - who am I missing?

I'm very keen on Afrobeat as well, though I understand the officiandos don't consider it jazz. I'd appreciate any reccomendations similar to Fela Kuti (wouldn't we all I guess...)

I've got really hung up on the guys in the last week or so, The Necks from Australia. They sound like nothing else I've heard before, completely minimalist, yet intricate stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Necks

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm a relatively recent convert and have dabbled in the classic names, but am really taken by some more contemporary stuff, such as:
Polar Bear, and anything done by Seb Roachford (drums) and/or Pete Wareham (sax), they have lots of offshoots like Acoustic Ladyland, which merged into Melt Yourself Down, and Sons of Kemet (well done 1066 Family Man for putting up a track)
Esbjorn Svensson Trio
Phronesis
And he's been around for about 50 years now, but Peter Broetzmann is awesome live and still touring.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Some people not so far mentioned, I think:

Eric Dolphy ("Out to lunch" is a classic album).

Don Weller's Major Surgery (released very little, mainly a live band, but a set called Foul Group Practices, recorded mid 70s and reissued last year is worth a listen).

Should also mention Stan Tracey, who sadly died just before Christmas (remember many great gigs in the early 70s at the Plough in Stockwell where he had a residency for a few years).

I'm also partial to a bit of minimalist Nordic/Kraut jazz - the ECM label catalogue is worth a browse

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Miles Davis and Weather Report, of those who have been mentioned.

And of those who haven't:
- Chick Corea, either solo or with his band ages ago Return to Forever, which also included Stanley Clarke, a phenomenal bass player.
- Joe Zawinul - some fantastic bands over the years. I saw him twice before he died comparatively recently a couple of years ago.
- Django Reinhardt has been a favourite of mine for 40years plus. The originator of Gipsy jazz.
- And I particularly like Jazz Clarinet - benny Goodman and Artie Shaw, for example, particularly some Benny Goodman small group stuff.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
OK, I'll be the philistine. I can't stand jazz, because they're clearly making it up as they go along.

There, I said it.
Improvisation is what is is termed as,and therefore is, made up as you go along, but within a sequence of modes (scales) of music. I play jazz myself along with all other kinds of music styles and have always found jazz to be the most interesting to play.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Herbie Mann
Brother Jack McDuff
Jimmy McGriff
Along with selected Miles Davis (although NOT Bitches Brew as I cannot stand that album)
There's a very good album called "Panthalassa" loads of Miles Davis stuff reworked
Basically though I don't think you can beat the old Dixieland stuff - especially Jelly Roll Morton

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If you're into Afrobeat check out The Budos Band, Abdullah Ibrahim and The Shaolin Afronauts. All good stuff

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I used to see Don Weller at the jazz club above The Market pub in Reigate.
Him and Mike Westbrook were quite regularly on there

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Oliver Nelson was a top notch jazz composer, and with a ridiculously strong line up he put out the classic album The Blues and the Abstract Truth in 1961. The track Stolen Moments is something else though: one of the pinnacles of jazz imo.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
QUOTE=spring hall convert;6122074]I was hoping someone would start one of these threads on jazz, I'm desperate to get a bit more with it. I've been slowly working my way through most of the jazz classics in recent years. Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Pharoah Saunders, Coltrane, Sun Ra, Herbie Hancock - who am I missing?

I'm very keen on Afrobeat as well, though I understand the officiandos don't consider it jazz. I'd appreciate any reccomendations similar to Fela Kuti (wouldn't we all I guess...)

I've got really hung up on the guys in the last week or so, The Necks from Australia. They sound like nothing else I've heard before, completely minimalist, yet intricate stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Necks[/QUOTE]

Have you checked out much Mingus? If you're into Sun Ra you might like it. He has at least 10 amazing albums, and a lot of other good stuff besides. Mingus Ah Um is a good place to start.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Heads up for a free (at the moment) Amazon sample download of "Record Kicks 10th Anniversary Sampler", which contains a fair smattering of modern Club Jazz. It's a steal even if you only like one track. Apparently, they're an Italian record label but have some heavy support from the likes of Craig Charles, Andy Smith & Snowboy.

Disclaimer:- I have no connection to any company mentioned although feel I should be on an Amazon discount scheme.

Nice one, thanks, I'll have look into this.

I was hoping someone would start one of these threads on jazz, I'm desperate to get a bit more with it. I've been slowly working my way through most of the jazz classics in recent years. Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Pharoah Saunders, Coltrane, Sun Ra, Herbie Hancock - who am I missing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Necks

Who are you missing from the 'jazz classics'? - You could start off with Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner to name a few. Alternatively you could look for virtually anything on the famour Blue Note label and not be disappointed. Have a dig around into the Impulse! label too.

Afrobeat - probably never going to better the bloke who invented the genre :). However, his sons Femi, and now Seun, are worth a listen. I'd also recommend Lagbaja (I've seen both Femi and Lagbaja live and they were brilliant). You could have a dig around in the Strut record label for some samplers of 1970's Nigerian artists that encompass Afrobeat, Funk & Highlife. Going off into highlife you might want to try Alhaji K Frimpong and also Ebo Taylor (strut have released some of his stuff) who are both from Ghana. Going further afield in Africa and coming back around to Jazz - check out Mulatu Astake (particular his album with the Heliocentrics) and also Samuel Yirga, both Ethiopian. There's also the well known African jazz giants like, Abdullah Ibrahim & Hugh Masakela, both from South Africa, and from Cameroon there's Manu Dibango. Momo Wandel Soumah from Guinea was another old Jazz man and his album - Afro Swing - is absolutely superb! This is a brief runaround Africa off the top of my head from an Afrobeat base of sorts and into Jazz, but the continent has so many superb musical styles to get into that you could spend a life time discovering and still miss countless gems I shouldn't wonder.

I first heard the Necks on either Late Junction or Jazz on 3 probably about 10 years ago. I think I have a live session I recorded off of Radio 3 at the time kicking around somewhere. Good stuff! You might also want to check out Triosk, also from Australia.

Happy listening and discovering.

I'm a relatively recent convert and have dabbled in the classic names, but am really taken by some more contemporary stuff, such as:
Polar Bear, and anything done by Seb Roachford (drums) and/or Pete Wareham (sax), they have lots of offshoots like Acoustic Ladyland, which merged into Melt Yourself Down, and Sons of Kemet (well done 1066 Family Man for putting up a track)
Esbjorn Svensson Trio
Phronesis
And he's been around for about 50 years now, but Peter Broetzmann is awesome live and still touring.

Have a listen out for Soil & Pimp Sessions. Thoroughly recommended :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here