Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Festive Food - Winners and Losers

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Winner a bizarre two dozen squashed fig effort the size of a cricket ball wrapped in raffia £4.50 from Infinity foods. Remarkable
Loser a 'finest ' Sicilian mouse at Tesco's reduced from 90p to 11p with a day to go and tasted of burnt plastic

Surely that should taste of cheese ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Winner: My honey roast gammon. Always ready to hone and refine, boiled in cider this year after a tip. Superb.

Loser: Another one for forgetting bread sauce. Schoolboy.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Winner - Sainsbury's turkey crown, first supermarket meat in recent times to actually taste of what it's supposed to!

Loser - The Pinot Grigio served in my local, had to drink 3 pints of Harveys to take away the taste of the sip I had from Mrs Owl's glass!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Winner - Sainsbury's turkey crown, first supermarket meat in recent times to actually taste of what it's supposed to!

Loser - The Pinot Grigio served in my local, had to drink 3 pints of Harveys to take away the taste of the sip I had from Mrs Owl's glass!

Really? Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me :)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Winner - Rick Stein Nutmeg and Cardamon chicken and stuffing recipe.

Loser - Lanson pink champagne won in a raffle......dire.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Winners - a dead heat for the home-made gravy and bread sauce

Loser - Tesco mince pies, especially as I'm the only family member that will eat them.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Loser, the gluten free sausages and turkey crown ordered from my local butcher. When I turned up on Christmas Eve to collect them it turned out he hadn't made the sausages and the turkey "crown" had been boned and rolled. Apparently I should have said if I wanted it "on the bone" - I suggested I would have asked if I wanted it boned and rolled.

Winner, last minute purchase of a free range Norfolk turkey from Waitrose which tasted lovely after some clever cooking by yours truly.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just about to pour the Harrods brandy onto the pud to light it when there was a confession from a younger member of the family that we may want to check as there was a possibility it had been watered down........

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Winners:

Waitrose turkey crown and the excellent wrap in towels for an hour before serving method that kept it moist and tasty.

Bread sauce with everything.

Black bomber cheddar from the Snowdonia Cheese Company

Losers:

Waitrose Gammon with apricot glaze - dull, insipid and none of that home made clovey goodness.

Winner: Butterfly Turkey Breast from Bookers (5kg of pure breast meat for £25), Gravy made from the juices, Sprouts.

Loser: Forgot the Bread Sauce.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Loser- tesco chocolate coins. Really poor quality chocolate- binned them in disgust.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
winners... for the first time in years.. everything that I had served up for Christmas dinner was really tasty.. well done mother! covered in bread sauce of course!
oh and my mates homemade pickled onions on boxing day.. mmmm

loser.... mothers homemade sausage rolls.. shame really as her pastry is superb, yet she chose to use shop bought puff crap! yuk..

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Winner: Dad's homemade Christmas cake; homemade stuffing; homemade mince pies.

Looosser: Homemade gravy - runny, watery and flavourless.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Winner - Huge Goose for Dinner (and with only 6 people, still some meat left !)

Loser - Langoustines, part of the starter. Bit like celery, use more calories getting to it than you do eating it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here