Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could our fans lose us promotion?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Then again, it didn't seem to affect the Crystal Palace players at all. Massive cop-out if Brighton fans or players are blaming the clackers for their team's inept performance.

We were rubbish full stop that night, clackers or no clackers, but we all know that and are trying to forget about it.:rant:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Rubbish. So many players have come out and said it makes a huge difference, are you claiming it's some sort of big conspiracy?

If you're having a bad day at work and your colleagues are all rallying round you and saying 'come on, we'll get through this, we're all in it together' etc are you saying it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever, and that if they were all telling you how useless you were that wouldn't make a difference either?

How can 25,000 people shouting encouragement to someone not make a single bit of difference to the effort level they put in? That's like saying there's no point in having a manager to motivate the players because they are already motivated.

Ok,hard to get back to Brighton,so i watch Leek Town. Town played Altrinham in 1st round of FA Trophy,Alty in Blue Sq Nth top six,on a gate of 900 Leek took 100+ and roared them on over 90 minutes. Town won 2-1 at the whistle all Leek players ran to the fans,those players thanked the fans.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We were rubbish full stop that night, clackers or no clackers, but we all know that and are trying to forget about it.:rant:

Przykro mi, bn9 bha!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Burnley at home, with 9 men for 75 minutes, meant that the players needed a lift from somewhere to give them extra energy as the opposition took advantage of the gaps.

That lift came from the stands, it showed that we could create an atmosphere that was both uplifting and intimidating. We had genuine chances at the end of the match to get at least a point from it too, but profligacy in front of goal meant we lost 1-0.

My view is that if we can create at environment that tips the balance in the Albion's favour, even if it's only by 1%, then we should get off our backsides and give the team additional vocal support.

I fully understand the alternate view is that some people go to matches to be entertained, and want to sit and watch in relative comfort and clap only when something has inspired them to do so, but I'd rather get behind the team and shred my tonsils for 90 minutes.

The point is to generate such an atmosphere you need a spark the sense of injustice at having two men sent off in 8 mins got the crowd going. Occasionally a great period of pressure will do the same thing. I am vocal in my support home and away. I have been to 55 away grounds none very loud or intimidating the Amex is pretty loud as home grounds go if you ask me.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Almost all the interviews by our players and Oscar/Nathan have congratulated the fans for their support. So no I don't think the fans will lose us promotion.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder how much of the drop in 'atmosphere' at grounds has occurred due to the modern obsession for singing. I didn't join a choir when I started going to football matches over 50 years ago!

Fans didn't use to burst into song when their team scored but the noise in the ground was basically made up of cheers and yes clackers, albeit wooden ones that wouldn't be allowed in grounds these days, and possibly a single team song that all the fans knew the lyrics of.

'Organised' noise consisted mainly of very simple chants as well as ad lib humorous retorts and yet I defy anyone to claim that the atmosphere in grounds was less in the 50s and 60s than it is today.

Words of songs, started say in the North Stand, are unintelligible by the time they reach the East Stand so complaints about the rest of the ground not joining in with them are groundless - for example why does "Oscar Garcia thinks you're queer" - makes no sense!!!
Modern obsession with singing? I've been going to football matches since 1965 and fans have always sung! The North Stand in the late 60s early 70s sung about a dozen regular songs.

What HAS killed the atmosphere is not all-seater grounds per se (although they have been a major factor) but the TRUE modern obsession that football should be a safe, fun family day out. Now no match can take place unless there are dozens of officials on hand to make sure that everybody sits quietly, and any utterances are carefully scrutinised for racist, sexist or homophobic content. Even bad language of the sort that was commonplace twenty years ago is now frowned on, and any transgression can see you not merely ejected but banned.

So what do you want? Happy families sitting down only saying nice things and only thinking pure thoughts or do you want an atmosphere?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Leeds have a huge and vociferous away following but are rubbish away. At home they have a 25k crowd which is quite quiet but they are very strong. Explain this one please.

OK

a. They are not "rubbish" away. They've won 5 games on the road.
b. Even if they were rubbish, there is always an exception that proves the rule.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How about we use this thread to organise making our home games noisier and more intimidating for the opposition? All it would take is to get a few people in each stand (NS, SS, WSU, WSL, ESU, ESL, etc) to get together, print the words to songs (maybe those that are specific to each stand, alongside those that are appropriate for the whole stadium) and distribute them to the fans, arrange for songs to be instigated at strategic points in the game (after 5/10/15/... mins, when B&HA/the opposition have a corner), and so on.
It's quite simple: home advantage yields more victories; let's make the most of home advantage; to make the most of home advantage we need to make more noise; to make more noise we need to get more organised; if we make more noise we'll be doing our bit to help the club maximise its chances of making the play-offs, and succeeding in the play-offs.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How about we use this thread to organise making our home games noisier and more intimidating for the opposition? .

There's nothing intimidating about football fans singing some songs, at least not our songs!

What kind of professional footballer is going to melt away from battle because of 'We're the North Stand, we're the North Stand, we're the North Stand Brighton boys'? Which one will have the stuffing knocked out of them by 'Sea-sea-siders'?

There's nothing intimidating about football fans singing some songs, at least not our songs!

What kind of professional footballer is going to melt away from battle because of 'We're the North Stand, we're the North Stand, we're the North Stand Brighton boys'? Which one will have the stuffing knocked out of them by 'Sea-sea-siders'?

Dan Harding melted away, granted not because of the songs but in no small part because of the fans.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I believe we'd have been relegated in 1997 if it weren't for the incredible noise from the North Stand so for once I agree with the OP.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Dan Harding melted away, granted not because of the songs but in no small part because of the fans.

Dan Harding is a vastly overrated player. While I do think the occasion against playing his former side (and one where he went through the ranks) has got the better of him, he was making mistakes for us even when we were on his side.

Dan Harding is a vastly overrated player. He was making mistakes for us even when we were on his side.

Leeds, Ipswich, Southampton and Forest management thought he was good enough, do you know more than they do about players ability?

Harding was having a torrid time against Buckley and the fans were almost frothing at the mouth to him. He left the pitch in tears, are you suggesting that had nothing to do with the hostile atmosphere?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Leeds, Ipswich, Southampton and Forest management thought he was good enough, do you know more than they do about players ability?

This is the equivalent of saying 'Titus Bramble joined Newcastle for £6m but you think he's overrated. Do you think you know more about football than Sir Bobby Robson did?'

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't think it's a unique issue with Albion fans. My wife is a United fan, so I sometimes attend matches at OT, where the atmosphere is also quite sedentary. The possible introduction of safer standing (we effectively do have a standing area in the North these days) does help improve the noise levels. It's just a shame that the North is probably ten rows too shallow to really crank up the volume.

It pains me to say it, but one of the best atmospheres last season was at Selhurst for the playoff match, where both sets of fans gave it their best.
Really? I literally only heard the drum from the Palace fans. I was very surprised how poor the atmosphere was at Selhurst and thought it was infinitely louder and mire intimidating at the Amex, until Palace scored. In fact I would go so far as saying the atmosphere at the start home leg of the playoffs was the best I've ever experienced DESPITE the clackers.

This is the equivalent of saying 'Titus Bramble joined Newcastle for £6m but you think he's overrated. Do you think you know more about football than Sir Bobby Robson did?'

No it isn't the same at all.

No point trying to debate with you if you're going to just make stuff up to suit your agenda, goodbye.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Leeds have a huge and vociferous away following but are rubbish away. At home they have a 25k crowd which is quite quiet but they are very strong. Explain this one please.

Again, we're only saying the crowd plays a small part so this is really irrelevant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here