Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could our fans lose us promotion?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Far too jaded and cynical an opinion for me to share!

Sorry, mate. Next I'll by telling you that I don't buy into the idea that the noise of the old Kop at Anfield was worth a goal start and how they literally sucked the ball into the net.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because it makes supporters feel they are participants, and buys into their sense of their own importance, if they feel they can actually affect the outcome of a match. Those supporters are more likely to part with their money if they are glowingly talked of as a '12th man.'

Rubbish. So many players have come out and said it makes a huge difference, are you claiming it's some sort of big conspiracy?

If you're having a bad day at work and your colleagues are all rallying round you and saying 'come on, we'll get through this, we're all in it together' etc are you saying it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever, and that if they were all telling you how useless you were that wouldn't make a difference either?

How can 25,000 people shouting encouragement to someone not make a single bit of difference to the effort level they put in? That's like saying there's no point in having a manager to motivate the players because they are already motivated.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are you related to Hybridx or the Truth per chance?

No, I just don't happen to share the same opinion as you. That's all. No fishing on my part. Just a different perspective.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Rubbish. So many players have come out and said it makes a huge difference, are you claiming it's some sort of big conspiracy?

If you're having a bad day at work and your colleagues are all rallying round you and saying 'come on, we'll get through this, we're all in it together' etc are you saying it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever, and that if they were all telling you how useless you were that wouldn't make a difference either?

How can 25,000 people shouting encouragement to someone not make a single bit of difference to the effort level they put in? That's like saying there's no point in having a manager to motivate the players because they are already motivated.

But the thoughtful, well chosen words of colleagues (or indeed a football manager) are slightly different from the impact of some ditty about Oscar drinking sangria, 'Stand Up If You Hate Palace' and which stand you happen to be sitting at.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Double post.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of myth-making has been created around the Burnley match. Yes, the crowd was loud but it did not tangibly affect the result. We still lost.

The Brighton players played well because they showed tremendous character and worked like crazy to cover the extra space. Any team that is reduced to nine men is either going to fight or surrender. Thankfully, our players chose the former and it is they that deserve the credit for their performance, not us.

Cheering CMS on did not mean he developed better technique in finishing in front of goal. It is technique, organisation, tactics, man management and having the right blend of players, that will win games, not how loud a home crowd is.
When was that Burnley game, sometime between mid Oct and mid Nov, wasn't it a Sunday as well, or am I making that up.

Anyhoo it was a full house, and 'we' had something to get our teeth into.

Prior to the game, I felt (and it was certainly commented on here) 'we' didn't quite no what to do with ourselves.
I don't think Doncaster helped because that was just too much emotion for anyone to take, making anything afterwards seem flat.

It seemed as if the Burnley game, and what happened, was the match that 'we' decided (it's cliche o'clock) 'lets properly see what this thing can do', 'We took it up to 11', 'We went to DEFCON 5', and so on.

Importantly 'we' found our voices and found it to be ok.

The Amex is never going to have it's rafters raised on a Tuesday night v Barnsley, but they will be v Leeds in 4 games time.
It's the games in between that 'we' can occasionally be found wanting.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
When was that Burnley game, sometime between mid Oct and mid Nov, wasn't it a Sunday as well, or am I making that up.

Anyhoo it was a full house, and 'we' had something to get our teeth into.

Prior to the game, I felt (and it was certainly commented on here) 'we' didn't quite no what to do with ourselves.
I don't think Doncaster helped because that was just too much emotion for anyone to take, making anything afterwards seem flat.

It seemed as if the Burnley game, and what happened, was the match that 'we' decided (it's cliche o'clock) 'lets properly see what this thing can do', 'We took it up to 11', 'We went to DEFCON 5', and so on.

Importantly 'we' found our voices and found it to be ok.

The Amex is never going to have it's rafters raised on a Tuesday night v Barnsley, but they will be v Leeds in 4 games time.
It's the games in between that 'we' can occasionally be found wanting.

If we beat Reading then Leeds will become one of those rubbish Tuesday nights

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A poor referee normally helps....and the team starting on the front foot..for example Leicester...unless its Palace or a very important match, what happens on the pitch will effect what happens off it...always has been in my experience following the Albion always will be...unless you go to away matches...now thats another story

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A poor referee normally helps....and the team starting on the front foot..for example Leicester...unless its Palace or a very important match, what happens on the pitch will effect what happens off it...always has been in my experience following the Albion always will be...unless you go to away matches...now thats another story
It feels like 'we' always want to be a few decibels louder than the away fans, but nothing more than that.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I actually thinl against the chavs from crodon it wasnt nearly intimidating as it should of been . We hate that lot and ended up with bl..dy paper clackers issued by our club at least now with ffp i hope they wouldnt do such a thing as it was sh.t .
At wembley against man u we had none of that and where outnumbered 3-1 and i think we made a difference but maybe thats just my opinon?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Putting the fishing aside from the OP, anyone know how many Albion fans turned up at Blackpool , Wigan and Boro when we won, I know it wasn't thousands cheering us on to wins, so if anyone agrees with Rev how did it work at The 3 away games I mentioned?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I actually thinl against the chavs from crodon it wasnt nearly intimidating as it should of been . We hate that lot and ended up with bl..dy paper clackers issued by our club at least now with ffp i hope they wouldnt do such a thing as it was sh.t .
At wembley against man u we had none of that and where outnumbered 3-1 and i think we made a difference but maybe thats just my opinon?

Paper clackers didn't seem to affect Crystal Palace players' performances. The Albion players and manager needed to look at their own personal performances rather than blame the paper clackers or opera singer. Paul Barber made a telling point in that if Albion had played well and prevailed, both ideas would have been seen as good ideas.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
A lot of myth-making has been created around the Burnley match. Yes, the crowd was loud but it did not tangibly affect the result. We still lost.

The Brighton players played well because they showed tremendous character and worked like crazy to cover the extra space. Any team that is reduced to nine men is either going to fight or surrender. Thankfully, our players chose the former and it is they that deserve the credit for their performance, not us.

Cheering CMS on did not mean he developed better technique in finishing in front of goal. It is technique, organisation, tactics, man management and having the right blend of players, that will win games, not how loud a home crowd is.
Who really know if it made a difference. All I know is that it was one of the most enjoyable matches I've been to.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Who really know if it made a difference. All I know is that it was one of the most enjoyable matches I've been to.

Certainly was for me too! It was a defeat, but it certainly didn't feel like one. The result became secondary :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Putting the fishing aside from the OP, anyone know how many Albion fans turned up at Blackpool , Wigan and Boro when we won, I know it wasn't thousands cheering us on to wins, so if anyone agrees with Rev how did it work at The 3 away games I mentioned?

Because as already stated it makes a small difference, not enough to overturn significant differences in ability, poor refereeing decisions, or luck. But as said before, if it can give us an extra 1%, then do it.

We were louder than the home teams for those games you mention too!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Because as already stated it makes a small difference, not enough to overturn significant differences in ability, poor refereeing decisions, or luck. But as said before, if it can give us an extra 1%, then do it.

We were louder than the home teams for those games you mention too!

So we should be ok at home then with 300-500 singing out of a crowd of 26,000+.
I would very much like to hear more singing at home.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A vociferous home crowd not only motivates the team but can influence the referee into making the correct decisions.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It'd be interesting to figure out what impact a noisy home support has on away players. Are they really 'intimidated' by a noisy crowd singing a few songs, most of which don't relate to them? And, in so far as home players may get a jot of an adrenalin rush from a noisy crowd, could it be said that away players do as well?

I suppose we'd have to get into the world of brain science if we did. It's surprising that there hasn't been a lot of well-known research into this.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Burnley at home, with 9 men for 75 minutes, meant that the players needed a lift from somewhere to give them extra energy as the opposition took advantage of the gaps.

That lift came from the stands, it showed that we could create an atmosphere that was both uplifting and intimidating. We had genuine chances at the end of the match to get at least a point from it too, but profligacy in front of goal meant we lost 1-0.

My view is that if we can create at environment that tips the balance in the Albion's favour, even if it's only by 1%, then we should get off our backsides and give the team additional vocal support.

I fully understand the alternate view is that some people go to matches to be entertained, and want to sit and watch in relative comfort and clap only when something has inspired them to do so, but I'd rather get behind the team and shred my tonsils for 90 minutes.

i agree with this. although i've read and heard several times from players who say how good the atmosphere, so it must get through to the players. however the burnley game is a great example of how good the atmosphere can be. it was the most fun i've had at a defeat in my life. i dont understand why we as a whole unit dont 'go for it' a bit more often.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
i agree with this. although i've read and heard several times from players who say how good the atmosphere, so it must get through to the players. however the burnley game is a great example of how good the atmosphere can be. it was the most fun i've had at a defeat in my life. i dont understand why we as a whole unit dont 'go for it' a bit more often.

I've heard this said too. I wonder if the acoustics at the Amex is such that, although it may sound quiet from each stand, if you're in the centre of it all, you can really hear the noise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here