Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schumaker ski injury

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He'll be ok as he's got such a big head. Never forget him running Damion Hill of the circuit so he could win. The bloke is a cheat and couldn't care about him to be honest. I'm sure if it was a nobody in the same situation then they would of gone by road in the ambulance.

Well done you.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You really are a ****, aren't you?

I've been in an air ambulance in Zermatt. I think I qualify as Mr. Average.

This on both accounts, air ambulance is standard practice on a lot mountains that you can ski on, especially in critical injury situations which this clearly was, Footsoldier does indeed come across as a very nasty person, seen it on a few occasions now.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think not. So why make such a comment?

At the point Vegster made his remark, the medical bulletins on TV suggested that Schumacher's life was not in danger and would make a full recovery. Therefore, while it was irreverent, there did not appear to be any cause for alarm and so it was OK to make a quip. By the same token, I also wouldn't have made the comment about his chin if the medical bulletin at the time was saying he was in a critical condition. Hindsight's wonderful, isn't it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think not. So why make such a comment?

Read the timeline,my comment was made while the news reports said " not life threatening "

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the point Vegster made his remark, the medical bulletins on TV suggested that Schumacher's life was not in danger and would make a full recovery. Therefore, while it was irreverent, there did not appear to be any cause for alarm and so it was OK to make a quip. By the same token, I also wouldn't have made the comment about his chin if the medical bulletin at the time was saying he was in a critical condition. Hindsight's wonderful, isn't it?

Not having your first reaction to someone needing medical attention after an accident being: to make fun of them, is also a wonderful thing. Well, I say 'wonderful thing', 'decent human behaviour' could also be used to describe it.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

F All to do with hindsight. He said that he hopes it is serious enough ...... Well it obviously is. Best to think before you speak in certain circumstances, on this occasion it was probably best to. Anyway, each to there own, you are always going to get people that want to be different and rock the boat, and this time it will possibly come back to bite him (vegster ).

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Not having your first reaction to someone needing medical attention after an accident being: to make fun of them, is also a wonderful thing. Well, I say 'wonderful thing', 'decent human behaviour' could also be used to describe it.

It wasn't my first reaction to it. I wrote the quip several hours after the news broke believing the patient concerned to not have their life in danger. My initial reaction to it was concern because of recalling Natasha Richardson's accident a few years ago, but once I heard the same bulletins that everyone else did where he was said to be conscious and talking, I believed he was going to be OK.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thats ok then, carry on.

Thanks, If ever I need an irate self righteous lynch mob leader I'll look you up,only if you are squeaky clean of course though ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not wishing ill on the chap but I wonder if I could ask?

Is going off piste a responsible thing to do with a minor? I ask as a complete novice to skiing.

Also in regard to this the way he conducted himself, and his disregard to those around him, during his career (especially the Hill incident) does make me question his responsibilities.

Apart from that I hope he makes a full recovery. Life is precious.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It wasn't my first reaction to it. I wrote the quip several hours after the news broke believing the patient concerned to not have their life in danger. My initial reaction to it was concern because of recalling Natasha Richardson's accident a few years ago, but once I heard the same bulletins that everyone else did where he was said to be conscious and talking, I believed he was going to be OK.

Fine. Not making thoughtless digs at someone who is currently in hospital with a head injury with no real details other than that he is currently stable since head injuries are tricky to deal with, something highlighted by the recent tottenham/Lloris' controvesy, is a wonderful thing, especially if you've had a couple of hours to compose your thoughts.

Really, it doesn't take hindsight to realise making such quips with what was "known" at the time isn't a the done thing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Is going off piste a responsible thing to do with a minor? I ask as a complete novice to skiing.

Also in regard to this the way he conducted himself, and his disregard to those around him, during his career (especially the Hill incident) does make me question his responsibilities.

I would imagine the danger level depends on your skiing experience/ability and the conditions on the day, and exactly where it was. That minor was 14, he might have 10 years experience skiing. In which case it probably isn't that dangerous. I don't know the area or conditions so can't comment, but 'off piste' is a pretty generic term for skiing anywhere that isn't a marked ski path.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

If they are both confident skiers and properly equipped (helmet, avalanche transceiver, probe, shovel, possibly abs system) it doesn't matter how old they are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would imagine the danger level depends on your skiing experience/ability and the conditions on the day, and exactly where it was. That minor was 14, he might have 10 years experience skiing. In which case it probably isn't that dangerous. I don't know the area or conditions so can't comment, but 'off piste' is a pretty generic term for skiing anywhere that isn't a marked ski path.

This. Off-piste can mean anything from skiing along the side of a marked piste to the wilderness. Going off-piste isn't irresponsible per se with a 14 year old.

It is also worth noting that every skier/snowboarder falls over. Falling over and banging your (helmeted) head on a rock strikes me as just very bad luck.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Thanks for that. I have little or no knowledge on the subject.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It is also worth noting that every skier/snowboarder falls over. Falling over and banging your (helmeted) head on a rock strikes me as just very bad luck.

Sounds reckless to me. (we're both assuming he has a helmet on) I'm a pretty proficient skier but I don't make a habit of traveling fast off piste where there is a danger of me crashing into rocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here