Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas in the sun

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If you're worried about not seeing the grandchildren opening their presents, don't buy them any and there won't be anything to miss.

Then you can spend the money on a couple of cheap flights to Benidorm and super-strength lager with a clear conscience. That's Christmas right there, folks!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Alternatively, the whole family could go away. No spending on huge piles of food and presents pre-Christmas. One small token present for each person to open Christmas day (yes, even the children) and the holiday IS the present.
And yes, I have done it. And yes, it was fantastic:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Strange as it may seem yes, yes it does.

"I'm Dreaming of a Howling Wind and Horizontal Rain Xmas" not quite the same is it?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Been away twice for Christmas - San Diego (2004) & Cape Town (2013 Arrived back this morning) Would much rather be away from home and enjoying the experiences of new Cities rather than the usual driving around all of the family homes me and the wife have to visit due to multiple marriage break ups of our parents.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I know you said not those who have moved away, but we used to go to the canaries the week before. Cheaper and then come back. Enjoyed abtrip to Austria and Switzerland once, great to see snow on xmas day.

As for xmas in the sun, have it every year and still is the most disappointing affair. Nobody wants to cook, or eat much and usually too hot for the beach. I would stick with xmas in the UK if I were you, and have the winter sun at anither time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This. England hardly felt like christmas this year either...

Ominous silence from the Express after the much trumpeted White Christmas On Way headline 5 days before the day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Spent Christmas in Bolton once to visit the Ex's family. Her folks were great her Grandma was even more miserable than me. We had to visit her in the old folks home. she opened her gifts. She opened the box of maltesers,

"Eeee, what do I want wi' these? I lost my teeth years back"

On opening the book we got her,

"Eeee, you may as well have it, I'll be dead and buried afore I finish that"

On our departure.

"Aye, off ye go, you've stayed your hour"

Let alone her grandfather slapping my ex's thighs and proclaiming "Ey you could make some butties out a those"

It's grim up North.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Forget Christmas in the sun, January in the Sun's the thing........off to Ethiopia on NYE for January, return for Leeds game on 25th.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I am not talking of people who live abroad but do many go away to the sun for Christmas, I fancy going away next year but wife says what about the grandchildren we wont see them open their presents. What are the general views on this?

I live abroad, and normally come back for Xmas, then go to my misses country for a few days. However, after doing this for the past years and feeling more tired than before the holiday decided to have our own last year. We had a lovely time, but I did miss all the usual things back in England. Hence, this year I returned for Xmas.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you're worried about not seeing the grandchildren opening their presents, don't buy them any and there won't be anything to miss.

Then you can spend the money on a couple of cheap flights to Benidorm and super-strength lager with a clear conscience. That's Christmas right there, folks!

my wife and I have nearly wet ourselves laughing at this ........but please somewhere better than Benidorm

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Go for the best of both worlds if you can. A holiday in the sun - e.g. Kenya, Maldives, Cancun, at the beginning of December then come back refreshed for Christmas with the family. Can recommend it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here