Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squad Rotation / Keep Shirt

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'm not so much concerned about the GK situation, more the wingers, consistent dreadful performances are being rewarded with start after start, I'd like to see that changed, Lopez and Buckley have pretty much been 75% percent woeful this season, although Buckley really shouldn't be being used on the left/middle, sticking him back on the right may work but so might a rest, whatever, they both need replacing in their current positions ASAP.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You need to rotate the squad - simple as that. If you just going to have your top players featuring each game - regardless of performance - then they wont care how they perform.

If they know they perform badly and that they would be dropped if that was to happen, then it encourages good performances and also encourages the entire squad to give their all.

That and players do of course need resting.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If a player is playing well then they deserve to play. If we continued with the ethos of 'our best starting XI' then we would end up with players playing based purely on their reputation...and we'd have a team like England in the mid 2000's.

I think it's good for competition if players *know* they're not guaranteed a spot and therefore should try harder to earn their starting spot.

The point of Ince being rested is important - while he's still young it is his first full season in the senior squad - so everything is more intense and it may be taking its toll more than the other, more experienced players.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Excellent post.

On balance, I think it creates division and damages morale within a squad if some players believe others are the 'chosen ones'. Generally, I think players will understand why an understudy who is seen to have done well will be given a run. At the same time, the best managers are ones who can manage the egos of star players and make them feel they are valued and will regain their place, even though for the time being they are out of the side.

No they won't.
Footballers aren't the caring, understanding type :)
The best players get picked, it's a tough game, that's the way it is, that's the way it has to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here