Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Charlton

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I will add to the Crofts fan club, was a proper box to box midfielder. But AEA, Lopez and particularly Buckley were poor. First two goals were on our left channel and Ward should have got across but maybe he was drawn more central due to AEA being out of position. When Barnes came on I thought we looked good with two up top (except when they got in each other's way!) bad day at the office defensively but did enough upfront to deserve something.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Watched the goals on television and we seemed to be all over the place. I have read the thread and its disappointing to see that the word lazy, lack of effort, still full of Christmas dinner, head elsewhere. I'm hoping its not like this and feel that to blame the pitch when these guys are professionals with a backroom staff to help and advise each individual is poor. It is disappointing to lose and I feel Nathan Jones interview indicated to me that this was a game that we targeted for a result. Too many bad days at the office could ruin our attempt to make the playoffs. However, we are within touching distance and need to take some points over the next four games as we enter the new year.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Buckley was awful both today and last week, today he hardly ran or took on anyone, he found himself in the centre and not on the wing causing trouble like he should of been, and he looked like he was knackered by 60th min or so.

Ulloa was doing his best Berbatov impression, moaning and complaining and hardly moving, but still getting goals.

Liam ended up getting back into his groove as the game went on, he still made a few dodgy passes and not winning some of the challenges he would of last season, but he seems to be finding his form again and looked to of stepped back up, good to see he was giving instructions out like a captain to.

The pitch was up to Sunday league standard, a mud bath! Though I liked the ground, I love visiting the old stadiums, its like going back in time walking through the turnstiles and into a sh!t hole, its brilliant, it feels like a real football game especially when your an away fan making a noise, especially when you are able to stand the whole game. Its nice heading back to The Amex though haha

Alot of people turned up late, me and my mate included, we turned up about 2 or 3mins into the game, the fu*king traffic was awful. We had a clear run up to Pease Pottage, so stopped off to grab some coffees, then as we got back on route it hit us! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I will add to the Crofts fan club, was a proper box to box midfielder. But AEA, Lopez and particularly Buckley were poor. First two goals were on our left channel and Ward should have got across but maybe he was drawn more central due to AEA being out of position. When Barnes came on I thought we looked good with two up top (except when they got in each other's way!) bad day at the office defensively but did enough upfront to deserve something.

The good news is that at Blackpool expect LuaLua to replace Buckley, Orlandi to replace Lopez and maybe Greer to replace AEA. IMO Barnes should also go up top with Ulloa!

Aug 23, 2011
Well said. Professional 'athlete' unable to perform twice in 5 days, or on about 50 occasions in a season IF picked for all games. Will young people need to rest their sperm before trying to start a family in future......

I don't get this being rested thing either. I work full time and play footy. I used to play up to two 90 min games in a weekend. In the summer now I work 8 hours and then play 90 mins in the evening and I'm not as fit as professionals should be and they are younger than me

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
This rotation is a bit of a red herring IMO. It's an easy way to drop a player but not have to admit that fact. Without knowing the actual stats, and am hoping someone will be able clarify, I'm guessing ince has been used more for home games than away? We like to set up not to lose games and I think Andrews is seen as a safer option than ince away from home.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This rotation is a bit of a red herring IMO. It's an easy way to drop a player but not have to admit that fact. Without knowing the actual stats, and am hoping someone will be able clarify, I'm guessing ince has been used more for home games than away? We like to set up not to lose games and I think Andrews is seen as a safer option than ince away from home.

Ince was last dropped for Barnsley at home - a game that we wouldn't have been playing safe.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well said. Professional 'athlete' unable to perform twice in 5 days, or on about 50 occasions in a season IF picked for all games. Will young people need to rest their sperm before trying to start a family in future......

It's not just two games in 5 days though is it. It's 6 games in 21 days starting with Huddersfield.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Did someone say that he didn't start ince as he has to rest players?

FFS.

So Ince plays one game a few days ago and is too tired to play again a few days later

Wouldn't have happened in my day

It's not just about resting players it's also about giving other players game time to keep them match fit as well, It wouldn't surprise me to see a bit more squad rotation against Blackpool.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Feeling very frustrated after today.

A few observations:

Pitch was appalling and played a factor as the game went on. Made us more direct.
Charlton fans were very poor - they had a drum, that seemed to be bashed incessantly.

Team Selection.
I don't understand why Kuszczak is not starting, as undoubtedly we defend deeper (esp at set pieces) because of a lack of confidence in Brez.
Team looked considerably weaker without Ince, but again rotation to save energy etc.... accordig to Jones.

Performance.
Defensively - atrocious. If Upson had not made numerous last ditch tackles we would have conceded more.
AEA - Oh dear, as committed as ever, but was lucky to stay on today IMO and he seemed to be easily outpaced and dived in a lot.
Ward - for the first 2 goals shifted to the middle to cover leaving his man wide open.
Bridcutt - don't know if he has been told to drift wide at times, but every time he does we are very weak down the centre. His passing was poor at times as well, but he worked hard.
Bruno - please don't be injured, as Calderon is awful. Calderon run ragged in the second half.
Ulloa - welcome back, great player and defended well. However, it made us slightly more direct, though that could have been the pitch as well (as per opening comment)
Looked stronger when Barnes came on.

Crofts - immense. If Player of Season was now, he'd get my vote.
Agree with this.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Surprised no one has mentioned Buckley yet, worst player on the pitch for me. Bottled out of tackles, poor passing, no creativity, no effort.

Correct. Showed absolutely no belief when he was clear to shoot. Also for me Bridcutt,although he worked hard his passes were going astray. Yes the pitch was shite but it was the same for both sides.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
On the plus side, our support didnt have to witness this sort of scene...

Attachments

• 22yard shit.jpg
    22yard shit.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 231

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Love the way people are blaming the pitch. The ball ran ok and there wasn't that much bobbling. We were just shit.

Nonsense the ball was getting stuck in the middle the longer the game went on, that is why we were direct.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Nonsense the ball was getting stuck in the middle the longer the game went on, that is why we were direct.

The pitch was poor but it wasn't what lost us the game.

Poor defending and sub-par performances from key individuals lost us the game. Also, credit where its due: Charlton played very well.

We need to get some pace and creativity back, we just look turgid at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here