Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls January Transfer Thread

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I genuinely do not believe he is that good. The Yeovil game, he got a ridiculous amount of praise for two decent crosses, when the majority of the game he was appalling, culminating with him falling over the ball when through. It was certainly noticeable in that game, when he was taken off and Buckley played out wide we created eve better chances.

Yes, I accept he started to play better after this game and when he scored at The Amex, he took it well, but he is incredibly one footed, if it means using his left he will immediately pass back to Ward. He may be good enough for this league, but if we are looking to progress he is not the answer long term.

Perhaps Oscar should play him on the right, but then he still wouldn't cut inside on to his left.

The biggest plus with him is that at least he is on the pitch the majority of the time unlike Buckley and KLL.

Not that good, but would be happy to be proved wrong at the end of the season.

I don't know why people get worried about our better players leaving. I'm quite sure that with the way we are set up these days we are not going to lose a player we want unless (a) the player wants to go or (b) we get offered silly money.

No longer are we a selling club.

It's my understanding that Bridcutt doesn't especially want to get away so unless we get offered silly money I think he'll stay.

In any case, the January window is less likely to see a good player leave to a Premiership club than in the summer. For example, if Bridcutt goes to Sunderland now he may well find himself back in the Championship at the end of the season when we are promoted. So leaving now is a risk for him; if he left in the summer to go to a premiership club at least he would know he'd get a full season there.

It wouldn't suprise me if Barnes went to Burnley. Personally I think they won't get promoted, I think they've over-acheived and if he did go there he would at best be third choice striker. But I just wonder if he might think it's worth a try, especially as he gets loads of crap from some people - not all. If I was him I would be tempted. He's also going to have a problem if and when CMS is back as he'll be down to third choice with us.

I can't see Ulloa wanting away, he hasn't been here long enough and I'm pretty sure we can give him all he wants at the moment. And I don't see anyone paying silly money for him as he hasn't proved himself consistently at this level, let alone one level up. Not yet, anyway.

I don't think we should forget that we are an attractive proposition for decent players these days. How times have changed!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I genuinely do not believe he is that good. The Yeovil game, he got a ridiculous amount of praise for two decent crosses, when the majority of the game he was appalling, culminating with him falling over the ball when through. It was certainly noticeable in that game, when he was taken off and Buckley played out wide we created eve better chances.

Yes, I accept he started to play better after this game and when he scored at The Amex, he took it well, but he is incredibly one footed, if it means using his left he will immediately pass back to Ward. He may be good enough for this league, but if we are looking to progress he is not the answer long term.

Perhaps Oscar should play him on the right, but then he still wouldn't cut inside on to his left.

The biggest plus with him is that at least he is on the pitch the majority of the time unlike Buckley and KLL.

In all fairness, you say that Conway isn't the long term answer, but looking at our current squad, I'm struggling to name more than 4 players who are capable of playing for us longer term, whether it be in the Premier League or the Championship or whether it be because of their age.

I can see why you say what you do about Conway. However, you are missing the fact that had Ulloa had been playing up front then he would have scored plenty of goals, as Conway's crossing is far superior than Buckleys or Lua Lua's and that's not a criticism of either player as they provide a different type of option.

The one thing that wins it for me for Conway over Buckley though is consistency. Whilst Buckley will do one or two amazing thing during a game that occasionally pays off, Conway's crossing, position and overall passing is far better in that position than any other player we currently have.

In fact, if Buckley and Spanish Dave had a baby, then it would be Craig Conway!!!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

You're a tough guy to please, clearly. The Leicester game should really have been enough to convince you that he'll be a big asset for the rest of the season. As for next year, who cares right now? We're unlikely to sign him permanently anyway, though if we do not achieve promotion then I believe we should do.

Decent crossing, decent shooting, decent pace and isn't injured every five minutes. Without him, we have only Kaz as a 'natural' (in that he isn't really) left winger. Ash and Orlandi CAN play there, but it isn't where they are most effective.

Entitled to your opinion and all that, but I think it's a fairly unusual one at this point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're a tough guy to please, clearly. The Leicester game should really have been enough to convince you that he'll be a big asset for the rest of the season. As for next year, who cares right now? We're unlikely to sign him permanently anyway, though if we do not achieve promotion then I believe we should do.

Decent crossing, decent shooting, decent pace and isn't injured every five minutes. Without him, we have only Kaz as a 'natural' (in that he isn't really) left winger. Ash and Orlandi CAN play there, but it isn't where they are most effective.

Entitled to your opinion and all that, but I think it's a fairly unusual one at this point.

There's quite a few others who feel similarly to me - not everyone is on NSC. As I said his performances did improve as he went on, but any decent defender will continue to show him on to his left foot and then he will completely ineffective. Leicester was a good game for him, lets hope he can maintain that level.

In terms of the future, it would not be sensible to sign players with only a short term view.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
When is CMS going to be fit ? I think that we have to cover that position with a loan ,Obika (spelling !) seems to be the one that at least Jones wants.IMO Lita was (is a better bet ),a proven goalscorer !

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Ankergren to join Orient on an initial one month loan deal as cover for their number one who is currently injured. (Or so I have seen on Twitter anyways)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When is CMS going to be fit ? I think that we have to cover that position with a loan ,Obika (spelling !) seems to be the one that at least Jones wants.IMO Lita was (is a better bet ),a proven goalscorer !

It said in the Argus that the Seagulls' German medic expects striker Craig Mackail-Smith, out since March with a ruptured Achilles and ankle trouble, to return before the end of January.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10905429.Buckley_blow_for_Albion/

Having said that it looks like Buckley came back too soon.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Several newspapers (31st) suggesting Sunderland have now made a bid of £2.5m for Bridcutt. Another £1m and I'd sell.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Especially noteable as two of journos (John Cross and Sam Wallace) are great mates with Gus, and he's leaked stories through them before.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
OUT
Barnes
Bridcutt
Buckley

IN
Lita
Conway
New contract for Ince
1 other ?

???

If when lose those 3 it will consign us to the championship for another season unless the money is all reinvested which is highly unlikely with our FFP mandate.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If when lose those 3 it will consign us to the championship for another season unless the money is all reinvested which is highly unlikely with our FFP mandate.

Not sure I get that? If all of the fees received are used to buy replacements/additions then the net impact is zero .... so unsure what FFP has to do with it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure I get that? If all of the fees received are used to buy replacements/additions then the net impact is zero .... so unsure what FFP has to do with it

If our losses look to be more than 8 million, any sales won't be used to buy replacements.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If our losses look to be more than 8 million, any sales won't be used to buy replacements.

Right I get that, but the vibes coming out of club are that we are within the limit. Also remember hearing that because of the great work by PB, Oscar had a bit more in his playing budget than originally planned. Of course TB may just decide not to fund to the limit which is totally understandable

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Gone :

Barker
Barnes

Going? :

Bridcutt
Buckley ?

In :

Obika

Contract Extension :

Ince

We need a new striker now clearly, maybe also to bring back Conway.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So the latest :

Gone :

Barker
Barnes

Going? :

Bridcutt
Buckley?
Dickenson
ElAbd