Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Brighton player you have seen play in each position?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Grummitt
Lawrenson
Vicente
Ward

Zamora played for QPR first half against Forest.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Eric Steele
Mark Lawrenson
Brian Horton
Peter Ward

Maybe through rose tinted nostalgic glasses, but at a glance on here of some footage of the way we played in the late seventies, it would fit into todays game, Quick accurate passing, breaking quickly on the counter and very entertaining. Many who think that we played the best we ever did under Poyet never saw that side in the seventies. I'm thinking man for man we were better in every position and Tony probably knows that as well.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Kusczack
Lawrenson
Vicente
Ward

If the question was most influential players Vicente would make way for Horton or Sully. But for pure talent - a brief shining moment - Vicente is in.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Eric Steele
Mark Lawrenson
Brian Horton
Peter Ward

Maybe through rose tinted nostalgic glasses, but at a glance on here of some footage of the way we played in the late seventies, it would fit into todays game, Quick accurate passing, breaking quickly on the counter and very entertaining. Many who think that we played the best we ever did under Poyet never saw that side in the seventies. I'm thinking man for man we were better in every position and Tony probably knows that as well.

As a teenager in the seventies - I concur with everything written above. Never expected anything but wins and was shocked when we dropped points home or away. If Peter Ward (in his pomp) was playing now, he'd be up there with Suarez.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Kusczack - although Keeley still my favourite
Lawrenson - best player in any position (and worst pundit)
Case - was really struggling for this until I saw Case in someone else's. Only saw Vicente a couple of times as was living abroad, and don't think I ever saw him play particularly well. Horton was great, but Case for me.
Zamora - only saw Ward a few times and he was definitely passed his best. My favourite again though is Nelson

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Eric Steele
Mark Lawrenson
Brian Horton
Peter Ward

Good choice of players, and I agree with your comments about that team in the 70s, I think I was very lucky to have watched the Albion back then.

Anyone here remember him?

and how good was he?

Don't know. I never saw your dad play :jester:

My four would be.

PIG - fond memories of others, but I think technically the best I have seen

Lawro - No contest.

Case - for various reasons I never actually got to see Vicente play in the flesh (and that was what the OP asked), so for me as a lad of about 10 or 11, the arrival of Case from the all conquering Liverpool side was huge news. Hard as nails, a shot like a sledgehammer but could play as well.

Ward - Was Zamora better ? Possibly, but difficult to quantify. For me, nothing yet in 40 years of watching the Albion has beaten the buzz that used to go around the Goldstone when Wardy was on his game.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Moseley - quality keeper

Lawro - best defender I've ever seen play for anyone - world class

Case - not many players left Liverpool in that era - huge coup signing for us

Wardy - made things happen every time he had possession

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bl**dy difficult, this, so I'll have to include 'nearly's'.......all selections at their peak.

GK Corrigan (near misses: PIG, Moseley)
Defence Lawro (near misses: Shanks, Keown, Stevens, Bridge)
Midfield Mortimer (near misses: Curbishley, Lawton, Bromley, Horton, Case, Vicente and Bridcutt)
Forward Ward (near misses Bobby Smith, Dawson, Zamora, Robinson)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ooh, I like this one:

Goalkeeper: Kuipers. Sure his kicking was less than peerfect, but he was capable of making some truly insane saves;
Defender: Upson. Real class and a massive influence on those around him.
Midfielder: Vicente. Just absolute magic.
Striker: Zamora. I love Ulloa but Zamora gave me chills whenever he got the ball. You knew he would score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here