Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stopping users on your ignore list posting on your threads

Should ignored users be prevented from posting on your threads?

• Yes, great idea, stop them

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • No, poor idea, they should still be able to contribute

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure about this, although blocking quotes is a great idea. I also like the thumbs up/down.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bloody brilliant idea.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All of this. There's no such thing as 'your threads'.

I disagree. With this new feature I will be able to ignore everyone who ever disagrees with me until eventually I will have my own mini NSC where everyone agrees with every single word I say and all posts below mine will just read "Great post, Commander", "Top work sir", "Spot on as always" etc etc. I'd like that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I am, for the first time since joining NSC, on the fence. I can see that a thread you start isn't "yours", so that would lead to a"no". On the other hand, presumably some folk have people on ignore because of a spat. Here, the risk is that the blocked poster may deliberately derail the threads started by the blocker. Is there any evidence of this?

Personally, I have no-one on ignore, though 3 or 4 have come close. If I did ever put someone on ignore, I'd probably not want to see their posts on threads I'd started, and I'd obviously look more frequently at a thread I'd started than some other threads.

Tricky - perhaps a trial, as Tony suggests?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Personally think the current ignore function is sufficient for those who want to avoid certain posters comments.

This enhanced function would allow the OP to control who posts on a thread. Not good.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What a terrible idea.

I have never used the ignore list, on account of being mature enough to ignore wind-up merchants. Besides, where would NSC be without Binfests.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't have anyone on my ignore list, but think it's not a good idea.

Not too fussed as don't have anyone on ignore...... but seems reasonable if people want to use it

But if you are on the ignore list of the thread starter, it means you won't be able to contribute to the thread.

Seems one step too far for me. It is, at the end of the day, JUST an internet forum – albeit a very good one. But then, not having anyone on ignore, maybe I wouldn't feel as strongly about it as others?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
How would it work with merged threads? What if users on one thread-starter's ignore list start a similar thread that is then merged with the original? Which takes priority?What's to stop someone with a clear ignore list restarting threads to ensure everyone has a voice (other than loads more work for mods)?

There are some users who I tend to ignore, but I don't own the internet so have no right to decide what others comment on.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have never ignored anyone and dont intend to. I refuse to let anything that takes place on this site to annoy me. So definately a NO from me.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I think it'll cut back on the number of binfests, which spoil the forums for the majority.

On the other hand, and maybe I'm just being a bit cynical here, but people could block someone who has a differing view, just before starting a thread, to stop legitimate debate taking place.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The vast majority of people put someone on ignore for no other reason than their contributions on a thread are nothing more than “trolling” reasons, the main amount of reported posts we get are people reporting “trolls” so if you start a thread and you know that the trolls you have on ignore can’t contribute within that public thread it will create the thread/s to flow with far more reasoned healthy debate and will prevent the trolls from derailing the thread and turning it into a binfest.

I also believe that it will increase the use of the vastly underused “ignore” function, it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread starter “owning” the thread, just about everyone starts a thread for it to cause open healthy debate and for sensible contribution, as indeed this very thread is doing!

If anyone does have individuals on ignore purely because they don’t agree or like their opinions (trolls aside) they are the ones who have a problem, they clearly don’t want to listen to other peoples opinions or reasons, I doubt many people like that actually start threads anyway.

This function should be given a trial run in my opinion, use it for say a 3 month period and we can then monitor it and see if it is an asset to the board or not.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Firstly, I don't see how making it impossible for someone to post in a thread makes the conversation flow, especially if they then start their own thread and you get two threads going.

Secondly, if people are reporting actual trolls, the mods will be banning them and they won't be able to post anywhere, if they are not being banned it's because they are not trolls, so you are stopping people who simply annoy the OP from posting in a thread and contributing to a conversation with others who don't find that poster annoying and would like his contribution on the discussion in that thread. It therefore does become important who starts a thread, as their ignore list dictates who can join in the discussion.

I also think it's odd to criticise people for having anyone other than trolls on their list while also talking about wanting to get more people using their ignore function.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I disagree. With this new feature I will be able to ignore everyone who ever disagrees with me until eventually I will have my own mini NSC where everyone agrees with every single word I say and all posts below mine will just read "Great post, Commander", "Top work sir", "Spot on as always" etc etc. I'd like that.

Great post, Commander, top work sir and spot on as always!! :whistle:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Great way to ruin a healthy forum.

If there be trolls tolling, ban them.

If you don't like someone's opinion or the way the express themselves, ignore them.

If you want to be in a place where everyone agrees on everything, everyone is always cordial, and all view and opinions are to your own tastes, then the internet is probably not for you.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Great way to ruin a healthy forum.

If there be trolls tolling, ban them.

If you don't like someone's opinion or the way the express themselves, ignore them.

If you want to be in a place where everyone agrees on everything, everyone is always cordial, and all view and opinions are to your own tastes, then the internet is probably not for you.

what he said

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If the blocking of post quotes of ignored listees works, then no need for this.

I also think that ignore lists should be publically viewable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here