Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Agustien 7 (Some silly low marks from people, he played well in my opinion, too well for some of his team mates)

Barnes 3 (At the end of the day, his poor finishing cost us the win regardless of what else he may have done, no excuses)

Kemi Agustien headed straight at the keeper. Is that not poor finishing that cost as win, too? Maybe if he headed a ball back to Barnes that was more controllable Barnes would have finished better than the one the keeper parried at him.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Brezovan: 6 - Wasn't tested, distribution okay mostly

Bruno: 8 - Fantastic second half after I thought it wasn't working for him too well in the first. Had everyone down their left in his pocket - wonderful second half
Upson: 7.5 - Solid as a rock. Didn't put a foot wrong in my eyes
El Abd: 8 - As Upson, but his cross-field distribution was top class. That run he made down the right was fun and the instant foul after he lost the ball. Brilliant exchange with Vaughn in the middle (Vaughn seemed a good guy)
Ward: 7.5 - Defence were all really good. A few dodgy clearances but very good down the left going forward and defensively.

Bridcutt: 6.5 - Probably the worst I've seen him play in a long time. Passes went astray more often than I've seen from him, and he wasn't as dominant in the air as he has been. Broke up play and defended well though, so even on a bad day he played well.
Ince: 7.5 - Love him. Had the pace to track back with some important challenges, his control was sublime and that pass he made whilst he was on the floor was one of the best passes I've ever seen :lolol:
Agustien: 6.5 - Alright. Very trick feet and some good distribution. Feel with a run of games he'll really be important for us. Felt like we missed Crofts in a game like that though.

Buckley: 4.5 - Poor. Decisions and final ball were lacking. He really has seemed to have lost a lot of his pace for some reason.
David: 6 - Linked well with Bruno but his deliveries were still not up to last season's standards. Didn't really think he had a good game.
Barnes: 6 - Put in his shift, got into all the positions to score but just couldn't find the goal. Hold up play very good, distributed it to the wings well but that header really should have been put away.

LuaLua: 7 - Did more in his first 10 mins than Buckley did the entire game. Very dangerous, needs to start at Charlton I think.
Ulloa: n/a

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
t just shows the difference in opinions of people with a number putting a low mark on Bridcutt.

FWIW.

Brezovan 5 A disaster waiting to happen with his mistakes and flaps good job Huddersfield had even less fire power than us.
Bruno 9 MOM very good display
El Abd 7 Lucky to not concede a penalty
Upson 7 Has become Mr Reliable
Ward 7 Good defensively and got forward but not put under any pressure.
Lopzez 8 Looked more like his form last season
Bridcutt 8 Nearly back to his best but needs to get more of his passes to reach trhe right player.
Ince 7 Good performance linking up well and exchanging with Bridcutt.
Agustein 7 Some very good thr passes in first half but tired due to not playing regularly.
Buckley 6 Looked out of place playing down the left.
Barnes 6 Powder puff and offered nothing up front
Subs

Lua Lua 6 Showed some pace but goes over and makes a meal of it too much.
Ulloa 5 Didnt get into the game as not on long enough

Oscar /Jones 5 Poor substitutions and timing of those.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Two bad misses and wasted the few good positions he got himself into. I honestly can't remember him doing anything positive of note.

Have to agree with this. If it had been Billy 'Barn door' Painter playing the same as Barnes did yesterday the opinions would be very different! Seems nobody is even allowed to critisize/have a differing opinion on Barnes now even after a reletively bad game?

Last edited:

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Kemi Agustien headed straight at the keeper. Is that not poor finishing that cost as win, too? Maybe if he headed a ball back to Barnes that was more controllable Barnes would have finished better than the one the keeper parried at him.

Were you at the game or seen that header on player. Hardly a simple header and well saved by the keeper. You tell me how he could have headed that across to Barnes.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Were you at the game or seen that header on player. Hardly a simple header and well saved by the keeper. You tell me how he could have headed that across to Barnes.

Both (well, I was at the game and also saw the highlights on tv this morning).

By turning his head a few degrees to the right. But that wasn't the only option. He coud have headed either side of the keeper, he headed right at the keeper.

Just to be clear, I don't mean to criticise Kemi for his effort. Just point out how you've marked Barnes 3 on the basis he didn't score his chances, then bemoaned others marking Kemy low when he had the next best chance for us after Barnes and he could have done better.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Both (well, I was at the game and also saw the highlights on tv this morning).

By turning his head a few degrees to the right. But that wasn't the only option. He coud have headed either side of the keeper, he headed right at the keeper.

Just had another look on youtube - he was a bit more front on than I noticed earlier or at the game so shall amend this: he could have crossed to barnes by using his foot instead of heading it. He could have headed either side of the keeper (or into the ground like a textbook header).

I will also say the header at the far post was a harder chance than I originally thought it was. Even if he'd have got it on target there were two defenders and a keeper to get past. If that had gone in it would have been an 'eye of a needle' thing. Harder to score from than Kemy's (though Barnes should have got his header on target, at least).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Brezovan 7
Bruno 8
El-Abd 7
Upson 7
Ward 7
Bridcutt 7
Ince 7
Agustien 7
Lopez 7
Buckley 6
Barnes 7

Subs:

Lua Lua 6
Ulloa - 6

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Brezovan 7
Bruno 8
El-Abd 7
Upson 7
Ward 7
Bridcutt 7
Ince 7
Agustien 7
Lopez 7
Buckley 6
Barnes 7

Subs:

Lua Lua 6
Ulloa - 6

So in your opinion Buckley gets only two points less than Bruno and one less than the rest of the team? That can't be possible. He was truly woeful yesterday.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Two bad misses and wasted the few good positions he got himself into. I honestly can't remember him doing anything positive of note.

Would you mark Ulloa that low if he had missed those same chance probably not .... Barnes was a 6 for me not his fault that he had no support

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Just had another look on youtube - he was a bit more front on than I noticed earlier or at the game so shall amend this: he could have crossed to barnes by using his foot instead of heading it. He could have headed either side of the keeper (or into the ground like a textbook header).

I will also say the header at the far post was a harder chance than I originally thought it was. Even if he'd have got it on target there were two defenders and a keeper to get past. If that had gone in it would have been an 'eye of a needle' thing. Harder to score from than Kemy's (though Barnes should have got his header on target, at least).

Well on that basis, if Barnes' header was as 'impossible' as you say why did HE not put it back across goal to waiting players rather than totally waste it like you're suggesting Kemy did?... Of course, it doesn't work both ways then does it?... You really make me laugh sometimes Ash.

:D

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At least everyone agrees on who were our best (Bruno) and worst (Buckley) players...

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well on that basis, if Barnes' header was as 'impossible' as you say why did HE not put it back across goal to waiting players rather than totally waste it like you're suggesting Kemy did?... Of course, it doesn't work both ways then does it?... You really make me laugh sometimes Ash.

:D

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it would be eye of the needle stuff. i.e. that it is possible to score, but the gap was small and the accuracy needed downgrades it significantly from a sitter, and certainly more difficult to score from than Kemy's chance.

Of course it works both ways. I've said Barnes could have done better. He could have got the shot on target. I'd have to watch again, it's been a few hours to see what sort of option was on for the pass, I suspect the three players blocking his shot at goal may have been an obstacle in any cross he had a chance with.

Regardless, I'm not marking Kemy ridiculously low on the basis of one moment in the game then marking Barnes higher than everyone else is (and bemoaning the fact other people aren't marking Barnes higher) despite him having a similar moment. In fact, I gave them the same mark. Both had pretty decent games, both had a chance to score and didn't do as well as they should have. Both have excuses.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Brezovan - 6 Not much to do so an average mark.
Bruno 8 Very good.
El-Abd - 7.5 Played very well. I've missed seeing him play.
Upson- 7
Ward - 6.5 One mistake. After that he had a good game. Nothing spectacular but solid.
Bridcutt - 6 Still not back to his old self.
Ince - 7 Gets better every game.
Agustien - 7 Made a few good balls and showed his strength in the midfield.
Lopez - 8 He's back! He put in some nice crosses and the back heel to Barnes in the first half was the sort of pass he was making in the second half of last season.
Buckley - 5 Not up to speed and wasted a couple of chances that his former self would have been very dangerous with.
Barnes 6 - He worked hard as usual but it just wasn't his day. Unlucky with the bounce of the ball when there was an open goal and looked frustrated from then on.

Subs:

Lua Lua - 7 Only on for a short while but looked dangerous.Let's just hope he stays fit.
Ulloa - Not on long enough to rate.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So in your opinion Buckley gets only two points less than Bruno and one less than the rest of the team? That can't be possible. He was truly woeful yesterday.

Yes, and not just my opinion, as posts #20 & #59 agree with me.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Brezovan 6 - Did what he had to do well. Solid.
Bruno 8 - Excellent especially 2nd half
El-Abd 7 - some great tackles
Upson 6 - Solid and dependable
Ward 6 - ditto Upson
Bridcutt 6 - Ince - 6 Agustien - 6 all did okay and looks like the three of them will gel brilliantly, but on this occassion just okay.
Lopez 7 - Some great crossing (if he had pace...)
Buckley 4 - Sorry, one of my fave players but had a shocker (perhaps harsh?)
Barnes 8 - general play - excellent all round striking play
Barnes 3 - chances, no more comments on this part needs to be said!
(Overall Barnes rounded 6)

Subs (no really enough time for full markings):

Lua Lua 6 - some nice touches
Ulloa - 6 - impressed with chasing back when necessary

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
Haven't read the whole thread but we weren't anywhere near as bad on Sat as against Barnsley. I was, for only the second/third time this season, in agreement with OG that the performance fully merited a win. I was much more entertained than against Barnsley and we looked the classier team. We had confidence but not arrogance and were just sloppy in front of goal.

Carry on playing like that and we have a real shout at getting into the playoffs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here