Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Hi all,

I put this in the 2013 thread but figured it was more relevant here.

My first Radio show of the new year featuring local bands, forthcoming gigs, recent releases & classics.

http://www.mixcloud.com/jamesmclarnon562/19th-january-2014/

Tracks played by White Denim, Conan Mockasin, Mugstar, East India Youth & Warpaint who all play Brighton in the near future.

I had a listen yesterday and passed it on. Good stuff. One thing I learnt was my Soft Walls vinyl hasn't had enough plays!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hi all,

I put this in the 2013 thread but figured it was more relevant here.

My first Radio show of the new year featuring local bands, forthcoming gigs, recent releases & classics.

http://www.mixcloud.com/jamesmclarnon562/19th-january-2014/

Tracks played by White Denim, Conan Mockasin, Mugstar, East India Youth & Warpaint who all play Brighton in the near future.

I've got to say, the psych-rock didn't go well for me in the morning - almost lulled me to an unpleasant sleep on the train. However, it went much better with walking through London in the evening. Iggy sounded great in the evening too. Liked the Warpaint track, but was struggling with the whole album - not very hummable (don't worry - I AM joking). Maybe need to give it some more plays. Will you squeeze in any indiepop in future episodes (I know it's not a request show!)??

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've got to say, the psych-rock didn't go well for me in the morning - almost lulled me to an unpleasant sleep on the train. However, it went much better with walking through London in the evening. Iggy sounded great in the evening too. Liked the Warpaint track, but was struggling with the whole album - not very hummable (don't worry - I AM joking). Maybe need to give it some more plays. Will you squeeze in any indiepop in future episodes (I know it's not a request show!)??

I don't think the Warpaint album is all that good to be honest, like the first it seems a bit of a half album. Put the two of them together and you'd have a winner. I also used to like their abililty for making tracks that should be 4 minutes, last 6 minutes. Now I'm just finding it tiresome. I might be filing them next to Crystal Antlers in the box marked "debut EP was the best thing they did."

As for indie pop, I want to play some Keel Her when that album is released (Feb 10, I think) so I'll likely fit some other stuff around that. I really liked the Keel Her track I heard on 6 Music the other night. It was definately the one I really got on with live. I can't remember the name though... Any recent indie-pop names worth me delving into or should I just step into the time vortex of the other thread!

Ps - The Great Escape original announcement was a little underwhelming I thought. I remember thinking that thuis time last year though and still ended ended up having a fine time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I had a listen yesterday and passed it on. Good stuff. One thing I learnt was my Soft Walls vinyl hasn't had enough plays!

That in particular is a blinding track. Cold Pumas (Dan Reeves main gig) are supporting The Ex at Sticky Mike's Frog bar in April. It'll be their first gig for sometime. I will certainly be in attendence, love Cold Pumas me. Did you like the Androgynous Mind track? That's very much up the same street.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I don't think the Warpaint album is all that good to be honest, like the first it seems a bit of a half album. Put the two of them together and you'd have a winner. I also used to like their abililty for making tracks that should be 4 minutes, last 6 minutes. Now I'm just finding it tiresome. I might be filing them next to Crystal Antlers in the box marked "debut EP was the best thing they did."

As for indie pop, I want to play some Keel Her when that album is released (Feb 10, I think) so I'll likely fit some other stuff around that. I really liked the Keel Her track I heard on 6 Music the other night. It was definately the one I really got on with live. I can't remember the name though... Any recent indie-pop names worth me delving into or should I just step into the time vortex of the other thread!

Ps - The Great Escape original announcement was a little underwhelming I thought. I remember thinking that thuis time last year though and still ended ended up having a fine time.

A bit of Keel Her would be very welcome. Two things from the indiepop thread: one that sadly everyone ignored from 2013 is "Black Sail" by Chastity Belt, which is just great, and the new EP2 by The Drink, which you can listen to on their bandcamp page - http://thedrinkk.bandcamp.com. I don't usually like Wild Beasts that much, but I'm taken with Wanderlust. As far as jangly is concerned, looking forward to the new album by Real Estate in March.

Let us know when the next show is up...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
That in particular is a blinding track. Cold Pumas (Dan Reeves main gig) are supporting The Ex at Sticky Mike's Frog bar in April. It'll be their first gig for sometime. I will certainly be in attendence, love Cold Pumas me. Did you like the Androgynous Mind track? That's very much up the same street.

I listened to the Androgynous Mind track in November or whenever it was first aired by Faux, as I'm a fan of Women, but I wasn't that enamoured with it. Listening to it again though it's starting to stick. It's heavily Women orientated isn't it.

I've seen Cold Pumas a fair amount of times, loved the album. I may pop along. Never heard of The Ex (terrible name!).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I listened to the Androgynous Mind track in November or whenever it was first aired by Faux, as I'm a fan of Women, but I wasn't that enamoured with it. Listening to it again though it's starting to stick. It's heavily Women orientated isn't it.

I've seen Cold Pumas a fair amount of times, loved the album. I may pop along. Never heard of The Ex (terrible name!).

The Ex are a Dutch band, similar to the Fall, they've been around nearly as long as well, their album last year - The Ex and Brass Unbound was very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ex_(band)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

And if you are a fan of Women, there are plenty of young Canadian things trying to emulate their sound. The pick of which is Faux Fur, who I believe have a Fliegal of some description in the ranks.

I miss Women sooo much. Public Strain is in my top 5 of the decade to date. I only saw them 3 times but they were an unbelievable live band. Chris Reimer RIP, etc...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
And if you are a fan of Women, there are plenty of young Canadian things trying to emulate their sound. The pick of which is Faux Fur, who I believe have a Fliegal of some description in the ranks.

I miss Women sooo much. Public Strain is in my top 5 of the decade to date. I only saw them 3 times but they were an unbelievable live band. Chris Reimer RIP, etc...

I only saw them once, I think at the free butt.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I saw this. The NME tour has visited Brighton every year it has existed-along come a band worth watching and guess what? No Brighton date. I would have loved to have seen Interpol. Moan, moan, moan.

Grab a Brixton ticket instead, so easy on the train and a great venue. I just bought mine through o2 priority £31.30 with fees. Plus the added advantage of a Friday night, my only issue is it's just before the Brighton Marathon so it will be a dry concert for me.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
So did anyone see Warpaint last night? I was seriously impressed - the new album is only half-working for me but it all sounded impressive live. The sound was excellent, the set was varied. And most importantly, oh my GOD they're hot. Especially the singer on the left!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
So did anyone see Warpaint last night? I was seriously impressed - the new album is only half-working for me but it all sounded impressive live. The sound was excellent, the set was varied. And most importantly, oh my GOD they're hot. Especially the singer on the left!

I really wanted to get along to this but couldn't. They are a pretty attractive bunch indeed- not heard much of the new album but it has has good reviews. Were there many people there watching? I did hear that they struggled to sell tickets to fill the venue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just noticed The War on Drugs are back and on the road in May. Will get some tickets for this. Great band that I'd forgotten all about. I'm also eyeing up Melt Festival.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have just noticed The War on Drugs are back and on the road in May. Will get some tickets for this. Great band that I'd forgotten all about. I'm also eyeing up Melt Festival.

Seems a while since they have released anything. Will have a look out for what is hopefully some local dates. Is Melt a European festival?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems a while since they have released anything. Will have a look out for what is hopefully some local dates. Is Melt a European festival?

It's near Liepzig an hour from Berlin at the site of an open-air industrial machinery museum and on the banks of a huge lake which you're allowed to swim in. It's a great location. The line-up tends towards electronic and what swung it for us is you can hire an already erect tent (all my camp gear is in the UK at present). The total price for the luxury tent and chairs plus two tickets is about 500 euros. You can get a cheaper tent but the price is great and at my age I need a few luxuries if I'm out with nature.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's near Liepzig an hour from Berlin at the site of an open-air industrial machinery museum and on the banks of a huge lake which you're allowed to swim in. It's a great location. The line-up tends towards electronic and what swung it for us is you can hire an already erect tent (all my camp gear is in the UK at present). The total price for the luxury tent and chairs plus two tickets is about 500 euros. You can get a cheaper tent but the price is great and at my age I need a few luxuries if I'm out with nature.

Sounds pretty perfect to me. I have often thought about Sziget in Budapest as a good festival to visit but the line up is not always the best. I have to say the already set up tent would be a real draw though- that and some guaranteed warm weather.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here