Page 3 of 359 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recommend Polar Bear, who are playing at the Komedia in March. It's a perfect venue for their music, which is broadly highly accomplished avant-garde jazz with a punk ethic and aesthetic. Don't let that put you off though.

This with bells on, it will be my first time seeingn them, can't wait.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simgull View Post
      Wooden Shjips at Audio ... bit disappointing, love the album but it all seemed a bit subdued possibly Monday night blues.
      Strange - my experience was the exact opposite. I went with pretty low expectations as I'm not so keen on their last couple of records (they all kind of merge into one - that's the idea I guess) but they were as good as I remember live. I proper zoned out repeatedly, very hypnotic stuff.

Also that projection they were using was amazing. It camoflaged the drummer's body (as he was wearing a white t shirt) so it just looked like a head and some arms drumming.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Only have Chvrches in March at London Forum.
      "She turned me into a newt!"

0 Not allowed!
      2013 isn't quite over for me yet.

Tomorrow - Mazes, Traams, GAPS - Green Door
      Saturday - Outer church feat. Grumbling Fur - Green Door
      NYE - Physics House Band and a mega supporting cast - Sticky Mike's.

Warpaint
      Conan Mockasin
      Mugstar
      East India Youth
      Forest Swords
      of Montreal
      Goblin
      John Murry
      Anais Mitchell

0 Not allowed!
      Fair enough. I don't think you're quite such an old man as I am, but when you get there, you might take more kindly to jazz. You might also think that, as good as the music is at The Great Escape, queuing for hours to see a band is not the best way to spend the few hours you get to go out. I remember getting a ticket six years ago, and was the only nights I'd had out since my son had been born (his bowled over at the mo, because he got photographed with his favourite player, KLL, on Sunday). While my two friends were in The Pressure Point witnessing Bon Iver play his For Emma set, I was stood right at the front of the queue all the way through his set. I do approve of most of what you recommend on here, however.
      I strongly recommend you give The Great Escape another chance. During the early years a few miscalculations were made regarding the number of venues, tickets sold and more importantly which band played where. It was I agree difficult if not impossible to get into some places and queuing was a real pain. Things are much better now and the event has expanded to include bands playing during the daytime. There is also a lot of free stuff thanks to promoters such as One Inch Badge and The Alternative Escape which is just as good as the main festival. Having said this there is a golden rule that must be adhered to for full enjoyment. That is do not pin all your hopes on seeing one particular act. You need to have a few per evening that you would be happy to see in case venues are full. If there is someone you really want to see and they are the last band of the evening then get there early. Personally I see the whole festival as an opportunity to catch new acts and am happy to base my weekend on that aim. At around 40 for three full days and evenings of music its top value for money
      "Unemployments rising in the Chigley end of town.
      And it's spreading like pneumonia.
      Doesn't look like going down"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CorgiRegisteredFriend View Post
      I strongly recommend you give The Great Escape another chance. During the early years a few miscalculations were made regarding the number of venues, tickets sold and more importantly which band played where. It was I agree difficult if not impossible to get into some places and queuing was a real pain. Things are much better now and the event has expanded to include bands playing during the daytime. There is also a lot of free stuff thanks to promoters such as One Inch Badge and The Alternative Escape which is just as good as the main festival. Having said this there is a golden rule that must be adhered to for full enjoyment. That is do not pin all your hopes on seeing one particular act. You need to have a few per evening that you would be happy to see in case venues are full. If there is someone you really want to see and they are the last band of the evening then get there early. Personally I see the whole festival as an opportunity to catch new acts and am happy to base my weekend on that aim. At around 40 for three full days and evenings of music its top value for money
      Ta for this CRF. You might just have persuaded me. I shall now enter negotiations phase.

0 Not allowed!
      While my two friends were in The Pressure Point witnessing Bon Iver play his For Emma set, I was stood right at the front of the queue all the way through his set. I do approve of most of what you recommend on here, however.
      I was in that same bloody queue, about 5 from the front as I remember.

I kind of concur with CRF but with a big caveat. If you don't want to get caught up in queuing hell, you have to get organised. I tend to put a lot of time into my plan beforehand and it usually pays off, if you haven't got the time or someone else to do it for you I can imagine it can be a pretty frustrating 3 days.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CorgiRegisteredFriend View Post
      Having said this there is a golden rule that must be adhered to for full enjoyment. That is do not pin all your hopes on seeing one particular act. You need to have a few per evening that you would be happy to see in case venues are full. If there is someone you really want to see and they are the last band of the evening then get there early. Personally I see the whole festival as an opportunity to catch new acts and am happy to base my weekend on that aim. At around 40 for three full days and evenings of music its top value for money
      Or if there is a band you simply can not miss, be prepared to see the 2 bands on before them. If they are the first or second band on you need to get down to the venue a good half hour before it opens.

Having the local knowledge is a massive advantage though. Knowing where venues are, how many they hold & what the best routes between them are is invaluable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      Or if there is a band you simply can not miss, be prepared to see the 2 bands on before them. If they are the first or second band on you need to get down to the venue a good half hour before it opens.

Having the local knowledge is a massive advantage though. Knowing where venues are, how many they hold & what the best routes between them are is invaluable.
      Agree entirely- local knowledge is vital. For example I have only once gone along to the Concorde 2 and that was to see I Like Trains. It is so far out from the other venues you would only bother if it was someone you were desperate to see- and with sets only half an hour long you really do have to be keen.
      "Unemployments rising in the Chigley end of town.
      And it's spreading like pneumonia.
      Doesn't look like going down"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      Strange - my experience was the exact opposite. I went with pretty low expectations as I'm not so keen on their last couple of records (they all kind of merge into one - that's the idea I guess) but they were as good as I remember live. I proper zoned out repeatedly, very hypnotic stuff.

Also that projection they were using was amazing. It camoflaged the drummer's body (as he was wearing a white t shirt) so it just looked like a head and some arms drumming.
      Fair enough - it may have been that I was in a bad position- towards the side (see 2013 thread about the problem with Audio as a venue) - I could certainly see how the projection would have been much more effective with a front on view.