Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I went to Squid on the Tuesday (I had to give my ticket to Crack Cloud to a friend, who said they were superb) it was a brilliant gig and the crowd was fantastic.

I went to the Idles last night and they and the crowd took it up yet another notch, thought they were both fantastic. I would love to go to Pom Poko but I am totally skint.

Not seen Cracked Cloud live but would love to at some point-were they playing locally? Shame you can’t do Pom Poko. Saw them for the first time at Great Escape Festival a few years back as part of a Bella Union night. They were fantastic.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Still smiling after last nights Pom Poko gig. The energy of the lead singer and her ability to get everyone involved from the start was a joy to behold. Set list covered tracks from both the albums and a new song as well. all sounding so much better live and all over by 9.45. Very respectable. If you get a chance to see them on this tour then go for it and get there early for the support. Also very good.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Still smiling after last nights Pom Poko gig. The energy of the lead singer and her ability to get everyone involved from the start was a joy to behold. Set list covered tracks from both the albums and a new song as well. all sounding so much better live and all over by 9.45. Very respectable. If you get a chance to see them on this tour then go for it and get there early for the support. Also very good.

Also thought they were very good and energetic, had a chat with Legss after the show as knew the drummer through my cousin, didn't realise they were unsigned, definitely something to be tapped into there, off to see a band called Bull tonight at Green Door Store, with a lead singer who sounds like the second coming of Stephen Malkmus.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
DJ Shadow tonight at the Dome supported by Grime super producer Future Utopia. Probably won't bother with Future Utopia though like. Shadow is playig for nearly two hours which is plenty long enough to spend in the Dome if you ask me.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Not seen Cracked Cloud live but would love to at some point-were they playing locally? Shame you can’t do Pom Poko. Saw them for the first time at Great Escape Festival a few years back as part of a Bella Union night. They were fantastic.

Yes they played the Hope and Ruin the same night as Squid and Keg played the Concorde 2 (sadly)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Little Simz at Chalk last week...she was superb, with a celebratory crowd. This was one of Resident's Outstore gigs, a pre-date for her major venue tour.

So good to be at a large, energetic gig again.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to see Little Simz whenever she's playing down here. Laura Marling tomorrow. And went to the first indoor gig last week at the Rose Hill Tavern: Vula Viel made a great re-introduction to indoor gigging.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
An on-stage but necessary manicure repair, a somewhat truncated set without an encore and some high note struggles took nothing away from a beautiful evening at The Dome with Laura Marling.

Aside from a couple of spanners fidgeting in front, I could have listened to her all night.

I hope she makes it through the upcoming London gigs, the voice was, as I say, sounding a little dry in the extreme sections.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Last Wednesday saw The Professionals in Tunbridge Welles Forum...

Pretty small venue, beautifully done out (an ex public toilet I believe)

The support Desperate Measures were great fun & Cookie etc blasted out stuff from the new album SNAFU and old favs...

Great time had, looking forward to going back to the venue...

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Off to see Fontaines D.C. next week up at Alexandra Palace, such a superb band to watch live really captivate the entire room. Have really enjoyed so many gigs recently especially in Brighton seen so many good bands, like The Lounge Society, Honeyglaze and Do Nothing. They seem to be absolutely chomping at the bit to play live and they seem to be over the moon to be back playing again.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Three very different bands next week Teleman, Gaffa Tape Sandy and The Skids.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
An on-stage but necessary manicure repair, a somewhat truncated set without an encore and some high note struggles took nothing away from a beautiful evening at The Dome with Laura Marling.

Aside from a couple of spanners fidgeting in front, I could have listened to her all night.

I hope she makes it through the upcoming London gigs, the voice was, as I say, sounding a little dry in the extreme sections.

I liked it largely. Occasionally I drifted into: this is all a bit same-y. But that never lasted long. She got through quite a number of songs in that 90 minute set -- 30?, 35?, 40? This only came because it was Laura and her acoustic guitar (rather than playing with a band). It also showed what a catalogue she's produced in the past c15 years.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I liked it largely. Occasionally I drifted into: this is all a bit same-y. But that never lasted long. She got through quite a number of songs in that 90 minute set -- 30?, 35?, 40? This only came because it was Laura and her acoustic guitar (rather than playing with a band). It also showed what a catalogue she's produced in the past c15 years.

Having loved the Celtic Connections and BBC Proms gigs, I'd love to see her live with an orchestra.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having loved the Celtic Connections and BBC Proms gigs, I'd love to see her live with an orchestra.

Seen neither of those. I was at the previous Dome gig that she mentioned, which was the Semper Femina tour -- that's probably my favourite of her albums. She was with a four piece then. Have seen her at least once before but can't remember where, when or who with.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Positive review: https://www.contactmusic.com/laura-marling/music/laura-marling-live-at-brighton-dome-19th-october-2021

"Hearing Laura Marling sing is akin to a religious, spiritual experience; you are held transfixed by a performance of such devastating purity."

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
I managed to avoid the Newcastle depression by venue hopping around the city via Mutations Festival. I saw 7 full sets which works out at £3.97 per act! Excellent value and well run - all stages ran to time.

Clear and obvious highlights were local band KEG and Yard Act. The latter were quite aggro with the crowd at first which was very entertaining. Anyone else attend? Highlights I missed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here