Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I recommend Polar Bear, who are playing at the Komedia in March. It's a perfect venue for their music, which is broadly highly accomplished avant-garde jazz with a punk ethic and aesthetic. Don't let that put you off though.

This with bells on, it will be my first time seeingn them, can't wait.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wooden Shjips at Audio ... bit disappointing, love the album but it all seemed a bit subdued possibly Monday night blues.

Strange - my experience was the exact opposite. I went with pretty low expectations as I'm not so keen on their last couple of records (they all kind of merge into one - that's the idea I guess) but they were as good as I remember live. I proper zoned out repeatedly, very hypnotic stuff.

Also that projection they were using was amazing. It camoflaged the drummer's body (as he was wearing a white t shirt) so it just looked like a head and some arms drumming.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
2013 isn't quite over for me yet.

Tomorrow - Mazes, Traams, GAPS - Green Door
Saturday - Outer church feat. Grumbling Fur - Green Door
NYE - Physics House Band and a mega supporting cast - Sticky Mike's.

Warpaint
Conan Mockasin
Mugstar
East India Youth
Forest Swords
of Montreal
Goblin
John Murry
Anais Mitchell

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Fair enough. I don't think you're quite such an old man as I am, but when you get there, you might take more kindly to jazz. You might also think that, as good as the music is at The Great Escape, queuing for hours to see a band is not the best way to spend the few hours you get to go out. I remember getting a ticket six years ago, and was the only nights I'd had out since my son had been born (his bowled over at the mo, because he got photographed with his favourite player, KLL, on Sunday). While my two friends were in The Pressure Point witnessing Bon Iver play his For Emma set, I was stood right at the front of the queue all the way through his set. I do approve of most of what you recommend on here, however.

I strongly recommend you give The Great Escape another chance. During the early years a few miscalculations were made regarding the number of venues, tickets sold and more importantly which band played where. It was I agree difficult if not impossible to get into some places and queuing was a real pain. Things are much better now and the event has expanded to include bands playing during the daytime. There is also a lot of free stuff thanks to promoters such as One Inch Badge and The Alternative Escape which is just as good as the main festival. Having said this there is a golden rule that must be adhered to for full enjoyment. That is do not pin all your hopes on seeing one particular act. You need to have a few per evening that you would be happy to see in case venues are full. If there is someone you really want to see and they are the last band of the evening then get there early. Personally I see the whole festival as an opportunity to catch new acts and am happy to base my weekend on that aim. At around £40 for three full days and evenings of music its top value for money

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I strongly recommend you give The Great Escape another chance. During the early years a few miscalculations were made regarding the number of venues, tickets sold and more importantly which band played where. It was I agree difficult if not impossible to get into some places and queuing was a real pain. Things are much better now and the event has expanded to include bands playing during the daytime. There is also a lot of free stuff thanks to promoters such as One Inch Badge and The Alternative Escape which is just as good as the main festival. Having said this there is a golden rule that must be adhered to for full enjoyment. That is do not pin all your hopes on seeing one particular act. You need to have a few per evening that you would be happy to see in case venues are full. If there is someone you really want to see and they are the last band of the evening then get there early. Personally I see the whole festival as an opportunity to catch new acts and am happy to base my weekend on that aim. At around £40 for three full days and evenings of music its top value for money

Ta for this CRF. You might just have persuaded me. I shall now enter negotiations phase.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
While my two friends were in The Pressure Point witnessing Bon Iver play his For Emma set, I was stood right at the front of the queue all the way through his set. I do approve of most of what you recommend on here, however.

I was in that same bloody queue, about 5 from the front as I remember.

I kind of concur with CRF but with a big caveat. If you don't want to get caught up in queuing hell, you have to get organised. I tend to put a lot of time into my plan beforehand and it usually pays off, if you haven't got the time or someone else to do it for you I can imagine it can be a pretty frustrating 3 days.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Having said this there is a golden rule that must be adhered to for full enjoyment. That is do not pin all your hopes on seeing one particular act. You need to have a few per evening that you would be happy to see in case venues are full. If there is someone you really want to see and they are the last band of the evening then get there early. Personally I see the whole festival as an opportunity to catch new acts and am happy to base my weekend on that aim. At around £40 for three full days and evenings of music its top value for money

Or if there is a band you simply can not miss, be prepared to see the 2 bands on before them. If they are the first or second band on you need to get down to the venue a good half hour before it opens.

Having the local knowledge is a massive advantage though. Knowing where venues are, how many they hold & what the best routes between them are is invaluable.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Or if there is a band you simply can not miss, be prepared to see the 2 bands on before them. If they are the first or second band on you need to get down to the venue a good half hour before it opens.

Having the local knowledge is a massive advantage though. Knowing where venues are, how many they hold & what the best routes between them are is invaluable.

Agree entirely- local knowledge is vital. For example I have only once gone along to the Concorde 2 and that was to see I Like Trains. It is so far out from the other venues you would only bother if it was someone you were desperate to see- and with sets only half an hour long you really do have to be keen.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Strange - my experience was the exact opposite. I went with pretty low expectations as I'm not so keen on their last couple of records (they all kind of merge into one - that's the idea I guess) but they were as good as I remember live. I proper zoned out repeatedly, very hypnotic stuff.

Also that projection they were using was amazing. It camoflaged the drummer's body (as he was wearing a white t shirt) so it just looked like a head and some arms drumming.

Fair enough - it may have been that I was in a bad position- towards the side (see 2013 thread about the problem with Audio as a venue) - I could certainly see how the projection would have been much more effective with a front on view.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
So far only booked 1- Nine Inch Nails in Birmingham. Hoping to get tickets for Pearl Jam at Milton Keynes Bowl when they go on sale.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Keep an eye out for Royal Blood this coming year :thumbsup: some good support slots on the way, alongside the Arctic Monkeys Finsbury Park dates.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fair enough - it may have been that I was in a bad position- towards the side (see 2013 thread about the problem with Audio as a venue) - I could certainly see how the projection would have been much more effective with a front on view.

Top stair in front of the mixing desk, best sound/ best view. Once I found that little nugget out, it went from being one of my least favourite to one of my more appreciated venues in Brighton.

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
Top stair in front of the mixing desk, best sound/ best view. Once I found that little nugget out, it went from being one of my least favourite to one of my more appreciated venues in Brighton.

Too right, need to be that side to avoid the bar melee.

2 gigs left in 2013 for me. Kurt Vile tonight and Toy / TRAAMS tomorrow.

Quite a lot lined up already for 2014, starting with Warpaint, Connan Mockasin and Metronomy in Jan.

It looks like there's tickets for Metronomy at The Old Market on Scarlet Mist, I think there was someone on 2013 thread who was after some.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Too right, need to be that side to avoid the bar melee.

2 gigs left in 2013 for me. Kurt Vile tonight and Toy / TRAAMS tomorrow.

Quite a lot lined up already for 2014, starting with Warpaint, Connan Mockasin and Metronomy in Jan.

It looks like there's tickets for Metronomy at The Old Market on Scarlet Mist, I think there was someone on 2013 thread who was after some.

That was me, I'll take a look later tonight.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I've got Midlake and Warpaint lined up so far. Keep meaning to get a Parquet Courts ticket as well.

Really tempted by Neil Young and The National, but I just know it will be disappointing - Hyde Park is famously a rubbish place to watch music, and the sort of London crowd at that has the potential to be full of utter twats. Hoping that The National announce a load of UK shows around that date - Brighton Centre please?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought some tickets to see John Grant in Berghain. Very odd choice of venue but it will be good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here