Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
London Grammar at the Dome last night. Hannah Reid's voice has to be heard live to be believed, and Dot Major's multi-instrument ability is something to behold - from drums to keyboard and back in the same song. Met them post-gig, three of the loveliest, most down to earth people you could wish to meet.

That's what the missus said on her return from the gig (RE the voice.) The album does nothing for me though, it's high time that new young bands stopped using the "XX" album as a template for commercial success and came up with some ideas of their own. I'm bored rigid of that minimal sound now... move on.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
That's what the missus said on her return from the gig (RE the voice.) The album does nothing for me though, it's high time that new young bands stopped using the "XX" album as a template for commercial success and came up with some ideas of their own. I'm bored rigid of that minimal sound now... move on.

**** me I've never understood the love for the XX and their sound. Utterly dull from the off. There's a fine line between minimalist and dull, and the XX for me were dull.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I couldn't help but feel a little vouyeristic at the Goblin gig last night. Great musicianship, some excellent tracks from their whole career, the projections from the film added to the atmosphere. I could see it was working for other people but after about 45 minutes I started to get a bit bored.

Shame really, perhaps it was related to knowing the football was on the TV and I was desperate to get home without finding out the score.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I couldn't help but feel a little vouyeristic at the Goblin gig last night. Great musicianship, some excellent tracks from their whole career, the projections from the film added to the atmosphere. I could see it was working for other people but after about 45 minutes I started to get a bit bored.

Shame really, perhaps it was related to knowing the football was on the TV and I was desperate to get home without finding out the score.

That was the reason I didn't go. I'm a fan of 70s/80s horror and Giallo films so this gig had my name on it but the £25 price tag for what is 90 mins of dark atmospheric prog rock kind of put me off in the end. I think I would have preferred that though to the 90 mins of disappointment on ITV4.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That was the reason I didn't go. I'm a fan of 70s/80s horror and Giallo films so this gig had my name on it but the £25 price tag for what is 90 mins of dark atmospheric prog rock kind of put me off in the end. I think I would have preferred that though to the 90 mins of disappointment on ITV4.

As it happens I needn't have worried - my recording failed. I noticed it was £25 on the door - oof, it was pretty busy though.

The truth of the matter was it was a real fans thing, the 90 minute set length was testament to that. For someone such as myself who liked them but wasn't obsessive and hour would have been sufficient.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought some tickets for the Damon Albarn solo tour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got another monster gig week coming up starting next week: Neneh Cherry and RocketNumber9, Midlake, John Grant, Toy and Erol Arkan B2B Danial Avery in an 8 day period.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I still very much like Drenge but there were plenty of peeps in the Kommy downstairs - which has become a pretty sweet place for rock gigs - who only turned up to see Traams in their half-hour support slot last night. They sort of stole the show.

[yt]KCDLc4TDXuk[/yt]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I still very much like Drenge but there were plenty of peeps in the Kommy downstairs - which has become a pretty sweet place for rock gigs - who only turned up to see Traams in their half-hour support slot last night. They sort of stole the show.

[yt]KCDLc4TDXuk[/yt]

Traams really were very good, weren't they? I enjoyed Drenge too - far better live than on record.

A very noisy evening.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Traams have been brilliant for a while, highlights of the local scene and hopefully going onto national prominence. Grin is a super little record, one of my favourite indie-rock albums of last year. They've really come into their own as a live outfit, they used to be a bit nervy but the last time I saw them in December they'd all really started to believe in themselves.

Don't really care for Drenge too much, saw them at Bestival last year (fully aware this probably wasn't the best enviroment for them!) I'm sure our paths will cross again sometime.

Crystal Antlers were excellent at an under attended Sticky Mike's last night - I suspect everyone was at the Komedia. Didn't think too much of the support Nitzam, they had an air of 90's revival a little bit Pearl Jam, a little bit Stone Roses.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
In addition - Wild Beasts and These New Puritans are going to break my "never buy a Dome show Great Escape ticket" rule.

Indeed- I feel this is going to dictate my whereabouts on the Friday night.
I also see that Jon Hopkins is playing. I suspect the Corn Exchange will be used for him due to its larger size in comparison to other venues. Shame as its quite frankly awful.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Indeed- I feel this is going to dictate my whereabouts on the Friday night.
I also see that Jon Hopkins is playing. I suspect the Corn Exchange will be used for him due to its larger size in comparison to other venues. Shame as its quite frankly awful.

Hopkins was excellent at Bestival last year, Open Eye Signal was one of my highlights of the festival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here