Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'll let you know how the Berlin gig goes. I've seen them twice before and they have been outstanding; even on the Paralytic Stalks tour they were great even though the album was a bit difficult to listen to. It's a Saturday night in a fun venue and nice part of town so here's hoping.

It was a Sunday night which can be a bit difficult.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Going to see Toy tonight in Hove. Not sure it will be that good as recent reports of their live performance have been poor. My brother saw them in London and ended up leaving the sound was that bad and a friend saw them with Traams in December and said it was terrible. We shall see.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sooooo that of Montreal show last night.....

The support Calvin Love was shocking, polished but ultimately bland and lifeless, pseudo new romantic guff. That he described himself as Rock and Roll was laughable. I'm getting a bit fed up with crap tour supports of late, that Jupiter C that supported East India Youth were totally unremarkable as well. It's especially frustrating when we've got a number of excellent local bands at present who could fill that void, though there's no reason why OIB couldn't have put another band on last night as well.

My Last fm stats tell me that of Montreal are one of my favourite bands since I signed up in 2007. I adored their run from Satanic Panic through to Skeletal Lamping and have admired from afar their more recent efforts whilst not being bowled over by them. I saw them visit Brighton in 2007 & 2009 (Audio & Digital) and both gigs live long in the memory. Last night just wasn't up to that level. Probably not helped by the support, the crowd were lifeless at the start and even an early 'Suffer For Fashion' didn't pick them/us up. The venue was 2/3rds full which may have sucked the life from the show a little. It felt that every time they built some momentum, it was sucked out by the crowd's apathetic response to the stuff off the new record, which I personally don't think they overplayed. Too much talking not enough dancing...

The sickener was at the end when they pulled out the big guns Heimsdalgate, Gronlandic Edit & She's a Rejecter, the crowd went apesh*t and it felt like those great shows of the past again. I felt it was one of those nights where the crowd's response had a parasitic effect rather than a symbiotic one.

Personally I missed B.P and Dottie, the whole band is new isn't it?

Another moan as well, why are the OIB Haunt gigs finishing so early now? They own the venue so it can't be club night pressure, perhaps it's transport related?

I dropped my sons off at The Concorde where they were seeing another gig, and my wife and I arrived too late for the support. Doesn't sound like we missed much.

The crowd was really subdued at the start, I thought, and the band struggled to get a bit of banter going. Rebecca Cash (?) in particular gave it a go, but it seemed that nobody knew what she was talking about. It really is a bizarre accent.

I have never seen Of Montreal before - I came to them late, @Herr Tubthumber told me I'd like them. And I thought that they were fantastic - really entertaining, a great set list (I love the new album, but they didn't play a lot off it), with a whole plethora of influences and some wonderful guitar work from the guy out of Midnight Cowboy. I loved it.

And yes, it is strange to get out of a gig before 10pm! we then went back to The Concorde and watched Little Comets doing their encore through the side door. Their audience was very young, and they didn't float my boat... We were at the better gig. But my kids loved it, and it was great to see the euphoria with which the crowd reacted.

A good evening, all in all.

I chose Albion last night, so my Cate Le Bon ticket went unused.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Going to see Toy tonight in Hove. Not sure it will be that good as recent reports of their live performance have been poor. My brother saw them in London and ended up leaving the sound was that bad and a friend saw them with Traams in December and said it was terrible. We shall see.

Decided to give Toy a miss. They just come across as the sort of band who are better on record than live. Hope I'm wrong and its an enjoyable gig for you.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I dropped my sons off at The Concorde where they were seeing another gig, and my wife and I arrived too late for the support. Doesn't sound like we missed much.

The crowd was really subdued at the start, I thought, and the band struggled to get a bit of banter going. Rebecca Cash (?) in particular gave it a go, but it seemed that nobody knew what she was talking about. It really is a bizarre accent.

I have never seen Of Montreal before - I came to them late, @Herr Tubthumber told me I'd like them. And I thought that they were fantastic - really entertaining, a great set list (I love the new album, but they didn't play a lot off it), with a whole plethora of influences and some wonderful guitar work from the guy out of Midnight Cowboy. I loved it.

And yes, it is strange to get out of a gig before 10pm! we then went back to The Concorde and watched Little Comets doing their encore through the side door. Their audience was very young, and they didn't float my boat... We were at the better gig. But my kids loved it, and it was great to see the euphoria with which the crowd reacted.

I'm really pleased to hear that from someone that hadn't seen them before. Good stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Yay!

As an aside all this talk of of Montreal made me dig into their back cataloge over the past few days. Hissing Fauna really is an incredible album isnt it? I'm not sure I fully appreciated it's brilliance previously but revisiting it a number of years on it really is a stand out album.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Looking forward to Speedy Ortiz and Joanna Gruesome on thursday at the Green Door which is rapidly becoming my favourite venue in Brighton. Not only are the booking some great acts at the moment, but they also have Robinson's Trooper in bottles at the bar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yay!

As an aside all this talk of of Montreal made me dig into their back cataloge over the past few days. Hissing Fauna really is an incredible album isnt it? I'm not sure I fully appreciated it's brilliance previously but revisiting it a number of years on it really is a stand out album.

One of the best of the 00's IMHO. That run from Satanic Panic up to and including Skeletal Lamping is inspired.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Decided to give Toy a miss. They just come across as the sort of band who are better on record than live. Hope I'm wrong and its an enjoyable gig for you.

Totally agree. They were not too bad last night, hit the 'wall of noise' early on and some songs were unrecognisable from their recorded versions. Came on at 10 and finished just before 11 with no encore. I am noticing more and more bands are dispensing with this tradition and have to say I approve. Better to finish a set in one go and leave on a high. On a separate note we discovered The Conqueror pub round the corner has been completely refurbished and renamed with new owners. A decent effort made but preferred the old style.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The Foals at Alexander Palace tonight looking forward to this as always good live, the only issue being Alexander Palace is an arse to get out of and I'm supposed to be running the half marathon tomorrow morning.

Disappointed to miss Parquet Courts last night sounds like a great show.

I went to the Friday show, ended up getting home at 6am! I was right at the front and the last train to Brighton was cancelled, so ended up getting trains and rail replacement buses, hope your journey back was better! Amazing gig though!

Saw Little Comets Sunday, another really good gig. The support act of Catfish and The Bottlemen were especially good.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Looking forward to Speedy Ortiz and Joanna Gruesome on thursday at the Green Door which is rapidly becoming my favourite venue in Brighton. Not only are the booking some great acts at the moment, but they also have Robinson's Trooper in bottles at the bar.

Still not heard a Speedy Ortiz track. I'll be there for the support though!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Still not heard a Speedy Ortiz track. I'll be there for the support though!

I'm waiting until the gig to get the album, but it is fairly straight ahead gurney, fuzzy indie-rock. A little more downbeat than JG, so quite a nice complementary bill, should be a good night.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Ezra Furman tonight at Green Door - sold out. Who's in?

I was so worried that they would be slightly off when playing live - chuffed to be completely wrong.

It was surreal to walk in and hear 'you wanna buy anything buddy?', only to look up and see Ezra manning the merch stall!
He and half the band went back to my friends house...woke up this morning and Ezra was doing the washing up, true story.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Outstanding - he's a natural performer, the band are great. He played most of the new record and some great selections from his back catalogue. I think I'm in a minority but I really liked the So So Glos in support, they were a good time rocknroll-pop punk hybrid and nowhere near as bad as that sounds.

Glad you enjoyed it. Sadly did not see either support for Toy so can't report on them. However, one was briliantly named 'Vasaline Prince'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here