Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like the album, and can appreciate your characterisation of them as ferocious. I think they play regularly, so will try to check them out next time they play, but was busy eating on Sat night, eating a curry recommended by HT

What did you think? I was in Al Frash around 6pm. Had a mixed grill starter and a keema balti plus a takeout of Oakham Citra IPA (cask) from The Barton Arms which all combined rather nicely

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I saw Thee Oh Sees last night and they were totally on form (and a little manic at times). Best I've ever seen them. Crowd we're going nuts as well. I'm not sure exactly what had fired up John Dwyer so much but whatever it was it worked.

Probably able to commit mor enthusiastically now that his character ha seen written out of Game of Thrones. Seriously, he looks scarily like Ramsay Bolton!

Really pleased they've managed to make the move work - deserved by all parties,

Picked up tickets for Richard Dawson this week, as well as Beach Fossils in London. Looking forward to both.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Royal Blood have confirmed their first arena tour finishing at Brighton Centre on November 29th

On sale 26th May

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Royal Blood have confirmed their first arena tour finishing at Brighton Centre on November 29th

On sale 26th May

36 years to the day that Springsteen played The Brighton Centre. He also played there the following evening, 27 May 1981. I was lucky enough to attend both gigs. The best 2 concerts that I've ever been to.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oh Sees tonight then.

If you see a miserable bloke at the back, arms folded, cradling a lime and soda, crapping on about how they were better at The Hydrant, that'll be me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh Sees tonight then.

If you see a miserable bloke at the back, arms folded, cradling a lime and soda, crapping on about how they were better at The Hydrant, that'll be me.

I didn't see them at The Hydrant and probably won't be drinking anything but, apart from that, you've given a fair description of what I suspect will be my demeanour tonight.

PS Resident and Dictionary Pudding have just announced new 'small venue' Jeffrey Lewis tickets, Gas/Wolfgang Voigt at ACCA, and an in-store this Sunday for Will Stratton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to that London to see Chilean space-rock/ minimal tech masters Follakzoid. I'm extremely tempted to say it was my gig of the year to date.

They were cracking at The Joker(?) last year. Had the Mrs saying "they rock my world" during the gig which is high praise.
It was the first time I've seen Thee Oh Sees, but that was my gig of the year. What a performer John Dwyer is, and the two drummers made perfect sense live.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They were cracking at The Joker(?) last year. Had the Mrs saying "they rock my world" during the gig which is high praise.
It was the first time I've seen Thee Oh Sees, but that was my gig of the year. What a performer John Dwyer is, and the two drummers made perfect sense live.
I loved that Thee Oh Sees arrived at 8.30 set and mic'ed two kits up and soundchecked in 25 minutes and then were really good.

Punk.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I loved that Thee Oh Sees arrived at 8.30 set and mic'ed two kits up and soundchecked in 25 minutes and then were really good.

Punk.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My partner was working in Bexhill/De La Warr that day, just by coincidence, and did hear them sound checking mid-afternoon, so perhaps not quite so punk/spontaneous as they'd like us to think.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
My partner was working in Bexhill/De La Warr that day, just by coincidence, and did hear them sound checking mid-afternoon, so perhaps not quite so punk/spontaneous as they'd like us to think.

Sound check withstanding, they were pretty awesome last week at the DLWP.

As well as Faust, Lewes Con Club hosts the Bevis Frond next Saturday and Acid Mothers Temple in October.

It's a double bill for me next Saturday: Dinosaur in Brighton at lunch time then off to Swans at the Roundhouse with Thurston Moore in support.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Had a fantastic weekend alt-escaping.

The big highlight was 90's Radiohead tinged shoegazers Ulrika Spacek at The Joker, really looking forward to their new album now, the songs on their first were remarkably strong and that looks set to continue.

The Be Nothing/ Teen Creeps shows at The Joker were strong all weekend - Gurr sounded like a German Sleater-Kinney, Her's were a wierdo pop two-piece who were a lot of fun. My mates went wild for Flying Nun label influenced Aussies The Goon Sax, though they aren't really to my taste. Dream Wife, who must have played 100 shows over the weekend are really good.

Small Pond's Castle Street Gym show on Thursday was a great use of the space, if a little one paced. Ezikiel Doo were a new local band to me and a promising young shoegaze outfit. TEAR were a very accomplished London 4-piece in the vein of The Duke Spirit. Local hardcore types Negative Measures were vicious at The Richmond (nice to be back!)

I caught the wrong Blush on Friday afternoon at East Street Tap, expecting the Brighton all-female shoegazers and got London based lad-rock. The Parrots downstairs at The Hope are a Spanish Black Lips, plenty of fun. Local favourites prince vaseline then pulled off a lovely set there a couple of hours later.

I caught another two of my favourite local bands on Saturday afternoon; post-punk/shoegazers Red Deer People continued their upward trajectory at The Acid box showcase at Brighton Youth Centre and then a quick run down to see Penelope Isles (I reckon these are next to follow Royal Blood and Black Honey to bigger things) at St. Mary's Church, where the high ceiling was perfect for their Magic Numbers meets Deerhunter alt-rock. Lab Coast were beaten only by Ulrika Spacek in the final reckoning, playing a dozen, quickfire Guided By Voices esque numbers in their half-hour at The Hope. Australians Tired Lion were a great mix of melody and intensity. A quick visit to the Hub saw me catch an incendiary set from new Brighton noise-rock outfit DITZ.

After catching the aforementioned Ulrika Spacek, the final act was a frustrating set from local angry, rabble rousing young punks Abbatoir Blues, at the Echocamp showcase in The Richmond. Their inspiring anthems were beset by technical difficulties, not that it in anyway put off their significant local following from going wild.

I somehow managed to go the whole weekend without catching a Porridge Radio show.

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I'm off to see John Cale do The Velvets on Friday and then am catching this show on the way back on the Saturday.

Is it the Thurston Moore band do we know or is he doing something else?

I'd assumed it was the band as they're on the road in support of the new album. But it's not clear on the advertising associated with the Roundhouse show. Perhaps he's playing a solo set.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone doing Arab Strap at the Haunt? Bit annoyed at the price tag for the venue but hey ho. Mst remember to get in early, or try to convince them to open the top bar bit for a decent view.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
All in Brighton, all in one week. Early bird tickets available. Gggggggggooooooooooo.
Attenborough Arts
Digital Festival Early Bird for £50*. See five shows for £50 (normal price £70) - * = although mine was £40 for some reason!

Plaid and Felix's Machines on Tuesday 19th September 2017
People Like Us and Oliver Coates on Wednesday 20th September 2017
Holly Herndon on Thursday 21st September 2017
James Lavelle Presents UNKLE Sounds on Friday 22nd September 2017
Ryoji Ikeda on Saturday 23rd September 2017

Add a ticket for each show to your basket and the discount will automatically be applied at checkout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here