Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Great night with Oh Sees at The Dome. Got there just as the band were soundchecking and warming up- some slight problem with one of the crew not being there due to forgetting his passport. Abused for most of the set as a result. Played for about an hour and a half- would be pushed to last much longer than that at the pace they were going. Crowd at the front clearly enjoying it whilst the older fans were stood well back. Took it easy myself as a long day at work ahead.

I could have posted pretty much exactly this, as it sums up my evening too.

Very enjoyable gig, from the comfort of a chair for once. Not the traditional way to enjoy Thee Oh Sees but it felt great.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Another thumbs up for last night’s Oh Sees gig. I thought they were superb. I’d love to have seen them in a small sweaty club (not C2, which I can’t stand) but only discovered them them a couple of years or so ago.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another thumbs up for last night’s Oh Sees gig. I thought they were superb. I’d love to have seen them in a small sweaty club (not C2, which I can’t stand) but only discovered them them a couple of years or so ago.

Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival will be back in October. Although they haven't released any information on the acts, Peter Brotzmann's website indicates he's on the bill.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back from MELT festival which was much fun. Highlights were a live blistering, rattling and banging Answer Code Request set which was at 9pm on a hot sunny evening and more suited to Berghain at 4am....but it worked a treat for some reason. Jon Hopkins was his usual excellent self. He played for 1 hour from 01:30-02:30 so there was no hanging around and his live set was the first half of Singularity with the slow second half of this album replaced with choice parts of Immunity before bringing us into land with the beautiful Feel First Life and some lovely visuals. He really does own normally stiff German crowds, I have seen him play live twice over here now and both times I’ve paused to look at the people around me and everyone’s in their own world losing themselves and their shit. He’s the master.

Honourable mention to Modeselecter b2b with Apparat (aka Moderat) who played a mid-tempo 4 hour nighttime/sunrise set by the lake. I also enjoyed The XX who were a nice Sunday closer and have come a long way since their nervy gig at Patterns all those years back (and their support slot as a 4 piece at C2)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival will be back in October. Although they haven't released any information on the acts, Peter Brotzmann's website indicates he's on the bill.

Now announced:

PETER BRÖTZMANN & FULL BLAST
IRREVERSIBLE ENTANGLEMENTS
IVO PERELMAN & MATTHEW SHIPP
LAURA JURD’S DINOSAUR
DAVID BIRCHALL/ANDREW CHEETHAM/JULIE KJÆR/HANNAH MARSHALL
ADAM FAIRHALL

Saturday 13th Oct @ St Luke’s Church
3.30pm

Brotzmann is avant-garde jazz's star that keeps on giving, hugely influential on a range of alternative musical styles. I'm really looking to seeing Dinosaur too, who I've heard of, but not heard.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Just back from Natalie Merchant @ St Georges Church...

Was as potty as ever but when she gets through a toon without any distractions she's one of the best.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Now announced:

PETER BRÖTZMANN & FULL BLAST
IRREVERSIBLE ENTANGLEMENTS
IVO PERELMAN & MATTHEW SHIPP
LAURA JURD’S DINOSAUR
DAVID BIRCHALL/ANDREW CHEETHAM/JULIE KJÆR/HANNAH MARSHALL
ADAM FAIRHALL

Saturday 13th Oct @ St Luke’s Church
3.30pm

Brotzmann is avant-garde jazz's star that keeps on giving, hugely influential on a range of alternative musical styles. I'm really looking to seeing Dinosaur too, who I've heard of, but not heard.

Looking forward to this. Brötzmann still has big lungs!
I saw Dinosaur play a lunchtime show a couple of years ago at the Brighton Festival. Very enjoyable ECM style jazz.

Melvins with Jon Spencer solo in support, Sons of Kemet, Acid Mothers, Mogwai, Tricot and Courtney Barnet playing in Brighton towards the end of the year. A busy October/November.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just saw the incredible Follakzoid at Sticky Mikes. A 90 min set of one unbroken ‘song’ although I heard snatches of different tracks in there. Played at ear splitting volume with a cross dressing bassist in bra and tights.
Chilean psych rock at its best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just saw the incredible Follakzoid at Sticky Mikes. A 90 min set of one unbroken ‘song’ although I heard snatches of different tracks in there. Played at ear splitting volume with a cross dressing bassist in bra and tights.

They’re great aren’t they? One of my favorite bands. I am seeing them for the third time on Sunday. I’ve been recommending them for the past 2 years and everyone comes away from their gigs with similar responses to you. Sunday I’m taking a couple more friends with me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I saw them last year at The Joker too, where their set was more conventional. Doesn't the lead guy play the guitar, rather than the bass (he did last time, when they had a bassist and no keyboard player)?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Follakzoid have now played two of the best gigs I've ever seen. Last year at London Fields when they did 3 tracks in 60 minutes and last night where they reached the logical conclusion of their post-III refining of their set, turning one 10 minute track into a whole 90 minutes.

The two previous Brighton shows at The Joker and Bleach were no slouches either

The band they remind me of these days are Nissenmondai, not necessarily in sound but in this 6-sigmaing (is this the work bellcheese thread?) of their sound until all but the essential elements remain.

Honourable mention for Merlin Tonto who were just about the perfect support act as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I saw them last year at The Joker too, where their set was more conventional. Doesn't the lead guy play the guitar, rather than the bass (he did last time, when they had a bassist and no keyboard player)?

He does. and that Joker gig was 2015! They played Bleach in 2016 as well.

I saw them in May last year and they still had the bassist. Thought the new set up was an improvement on an already irresistible formula.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
He does. and that Joker gig was 2015! They played Bleach in 2016 as well.

I saw them in May last year and they still had the bassist. Thought the new set up was an improvement on an already irresistible formula.

Could have been guitar - in fact definitely was later on - was he switching between the two?

I can’t imagine how they’d sound without the keyboardist - isnt most of it coming from him? And finally, how does the drummer keep going like that for ninety minutes? Was he really Obelix the Gaul and not just a lookalike?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They’re great aren’t they? One of my favorite bands. I am seeing them for the third time on Sunday. I’ve been recommending them for the past 2 years and everyone comes away from their gigs with similar responses to you. Sunday I’m taking a couple more friends with me.

Maybe not this time Herr T. I thought there was a 70% Best thing ever 30% Are they taking the piss? split.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here