Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing Earth Wind and Fire, George Clinton, Tom Misch and JTQ at Love Supreme tomorrow, with all my chums from Muesli Mountain who will be there in force as per usual.

What a glorious way to spend a hot, sunny day.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Jack White at Hammersmith on Thursday. Can’t say I like the latest album but boy can he put on a performance - last of the true rock stars?

Phone free show - you had to put your phone in a lockable pouch before the show - really great and well organised - made a real difference to have the whole audience watching the show.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just got back. How good were they? Jobson may be 58 but he bounded around virtually non stop all gig like a teenager!

And one of my favourite intros of all time (Of One Skin) sounded even better live than on vinyl. Really good gig that.

Thought it was great. Jobson certainly looking good and full of energy for an old boy. Not sure about the Leo Sayer referencing bit though- that was poor. Good to hear all the hits and everyone’s favourite TV Stars at the very end. It wasn’t even 10 o’clock when we got back into the town centre. Not a fan of these early shows.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thought it was great. Jobson certainly looking good and full of energy for an old boy. Not sure about the Leo Sayer referencing bit though- that was poor. Good to hear all the hits and everyone’s favourite TV Stars at the very end. It wasn’t even 10 o’clock when we got back into the town centre. Not a fan of these early shows.

Interesting point - I’m much more in favour of early finishes these days- in Brighton just to get to bed at a reasonable time on a school night. but I’m on the point of giving up with London gigs because the trains back are so bad. If a show finishes at 11, it’s pretty unlikely you can catch the 11:25 from Victoria and so you only get home around 2am (assuming the trains run of course). For Hammersmith on Thursday, we actually drove up and back.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Interesting point - I’m much more in favour of early finishes these days- in Brighton just to get to bed at a reasonable time on a school night. but I’m on the point of giving up with London gigs because the trains back are so bad. If a show finishes at 11, it’s pretty unlikely you can catch the 11:25 from Victoria and so you only get home around 2am (assuming the trains run of course). For Hammersmith on Thursday, we actually drove up and back.

I know what you mean about London concerts. I would only go if I was not working the following day. If you like your early finishes though The Haunt is often all done by half nine.

Jul 7, 2003

Concorde2 gig on a Friday night are often early shows as they have the club night there on a Friday. I really like these as either you get home at a reasonable hour or you can get to the pub for a couple before the last train home.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Everyone’s favourite Chilean psych rock band is coming to Brighton on 23 August. Föllakzoid will play Sticky Mikes. Go!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Cure/Interpol etc at Hyde Park on Saturday. They are not showing the football- anyone know any decent pubs around this area that will be?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Great night with Oh Sees at The Dome. Got there just as the band were soundchecking and warming up- some slight problem with one of the crew not being there due to forgetting his passport. Abused for most of the set as a result. Played for about an hour and a half- would be pushed to last much longer than that at the pace they were going. Crowd at the front clearly enjoying it whilst the older fans were stood well back. Took it easy myself as a long day at work ahead.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Great night with Oh Sees at The Dome. Got there just as the band were soundchecking and warming up- some slight problem with one of the crew not being there due to forgetting his passport. Abused for most of the set as a result. Played for about an hour and a half- would be pushed to last much longer than that at the pace they were going. Crowd at the front clearly enjoying it whilst the older fans were stood well back. Took it easy myself as a long day at work ahead.

I love The Dome, and I love Oh Sees, but they really aren't the best combination. It would have worked so much better at C2 or TOM. They were great nevertheless, the two drummers mesmerising.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They were. What was perhaps more impressive is that, for a band that's been around for c30 years, they got away with playing a set comprising just one old track, the remainder coming from their new album. For most other bands, that's a recipe for a moaning audience, but quite the opposite which, among other things, says something about the quality of 27 Passports.

Ha, yeah. And the 'old' track was released in 2010, 30 odd years into their career. They didn't even play the last track on 27 Passports did they, I assume because they've already been playing it live for a couple of years...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I love The Dome, and I love Oh Sees, but they really aren't the best combination. It would have worked so much better at C2 or TOM. They were great nevertheless, the two drummers mesmerising.

Yeah, this was where I ducked out, it's been a nice ride. The two shows at The Hydrant (now Hare and Hounds) in 2010/11 will live long in my memory and an amazing late night slot on the small stage at the Godspeed ATP around the same era (when Bridget was still in the band.) There was also an absolute rager at Ace Hotel Shoreditch with the two drummer lineup that weekend that ATP cancelled Jabberwocky (2014) at such late notice most of the bands were already in London.

As much as I enjoyed the Bexhill jaunt last year, this is a small venue band if I ever saw one. I also find the post Bridget material excellent but very samey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone listened to John Dwyer's other projects? Coachwhips, Pink and Brown, The Hospitals & Damaged Bug all well worth a go.

Thanks. I’m familiar with Damaged Bug, which I really like. I’ll check the others out. It’s bloody difficult keeping up with The Oh Sees let alone his side projects.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MELT Festival tomorrow. Looking forward to Answer Code Request, Fever Ray, George Fitzgerald, Jon Hopkins, Kim Ann Foxman, The XX and a few I’m new to like Mount Kimbie and Superorganism who I’ll ever like or they’ll annoy the shit out of me.

That lot is in the evening, rest of the time I’ll be BBQing, swimming and working my way though some choice craft beer.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks. I’m familiar with Damaged Bug, which I really like. I’ll check the others out. It’s bloody difficult keeping up with The Oh Sees let alone his side projects.

Not so much side projects now, I think it's only Oh Sees & Damaged Bug that are active.

Similarly Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin had a band together called Epsilons which is worth checking out. And he also did a record with The Traditional Fools.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here