Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What festivals are people doing this year? I’ve got MELT! in July but the line-up is weak and smaller this year, they also have dispensed with one of the main stages.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Did The Great Escape last weekend- enjoyed quite a few bands especially those Bella Union groups on Saturday. Glastonwick looks good as does Indietracks. Tickets bought for Edge Of The Sea.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just bought tickets for St Germain in London on Wednesday 15th August.

The Jack White & Gruff Rhys Brighton gigs are of definite interest, so I'll look into those.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Ride at Sub-89 in Reading last night; another band doing a festival warm-up. Very good they were, too. I know a lot of people love festivals but for me you can't beat seeing bands, close up, in small venues. Ash in Kingston last week was also superb.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There were only about 25 people at The Green Door Store on Sunday night, but I was one of them, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ken Vardemark and Paar Nilssen-Love, a real treat to have such a talented duo come to Brighton. Much of this is down to the fact that we've got decent promoters working down here in Dictionary Pudding and Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival (who put on this gig).

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Ride at Sub-89 in Reading last night; another band doing a festival warm-up. Very good they were, too. I know a lot of people love festivals but for me you can't beat seeing bands, close up, in small venues. Ash in Kingston last week was also superb.
I was at the Half Moon in Putney for Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets on Monday with about 200 others. Marvellous to watch and hear musicians at that distance. I know I'm getting old but I'm not sure I can see myself going to a festival.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I was at the Half Moon in Putney for Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets on Monday with about 200 others. Marvellous to watch and hear musicians at that distance. I know I'm getting old but I'm not sure I can see myself going to a festival.

200-300 is a great size venue. Going to see Chameleons at Guildford Boiler Room next week which holds about 300. Got put off festivals by poor sound quality and too many kids who weren't really there for the music but each to their own.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
There were only about 25 people at The Green Door Store on Sunday night, but I was one of them, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ken Vardemark and Paar Nilssen-Love, a real treat to have such a talented duo come to Brighton. Much of this is down to the fact that we've got decent promoters working down here in Dictionary Pudding and Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival (who put on this gig).

Really wanted to go to this but had to give a miss. Been a fan of Vandermark for years but never seen him live. I assume it was a heavy sound improv gig?

Jul 7, 2003
Did The Great Escape last weekend- enjoyed quite a few bands especially those Bella Union groups on Saturday. Glastonwick looks good as does Indietracks. Tickets bought for Edge Of The Sea.

Are you heading to Kentish Town to watch HMHB in a couple of weeks time?

Jul 7, 2003
I know I should but sadly I can’t. Are you? I’m really enjoying the new album- guessing you’ve had a listen.

I'll be there. Shame no Ken in the band now so will be interesting to see how it affects the live show.

New album is growing on me with every listen

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
In Belfast for the Big Weekender so caught the PSB gig. Plus The Breeders, Manics, Beck and Orbital. Not bad for £20.
More up tomorrow.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here