Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, they are. Probably my gig of the year last year.
We're taking our boy to his first gig tomorrow, to see Kraftwerk. Got several other gigs on the horizon, and the Green Man Festival too, which has some line-up.

I saw Kraftwerk perform Computer World the other week in Antwerp. Superb. Enjoy the gig, good parenting.

Looking at my diary I have Radiohead this Friday, Depeche Mode, Sun Ra, u2, Nick Cave, Ty Segall, Gorillaz, Billy Bragg, Pop-Kultur (Anna Meredith, Alexis Taylor and Young Fathers) plus a day of Lollapolloza and probably Audio Invasion classical music/electronic mash up in the Opera Hall in Leipzig so far. It's looking to be a great year for live music.

Who have you singled out for Green Man?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're taking our boy to his first gig tomorrow, to see Kraftwerk. Got several other gigs on the horizon, and the Green Man Festival too, which has some line-up.

Thee Oh Sees is my current gig of the year I think

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I saw Kraftwerk perform Computer World the other week in Antwerp. Superb. Enjoy the gig, good parenting.

Looking at my diary I have Radiohead this Friday, Depeche Mode, Sun Ra, u2, Nick Cave, Ty Segall, Gorillaz, Billy Bragg, Pop-Kultur (Anna Meredith, Alexis Taylor and Young Fathers) plus a day of Lollapolloza and probably Audio Invasion classical music/electronic mash up in the Opera Hall in Leipzig so far. It's looking to be a great year for live music.

I'll see you in Stockholm. I'm cutting it a bit fine before the gig, I think my flight arrives around 16:30 on the Friday but up for a Brewdog or Mikkeler meet before or after the show.Only full day is Saturday as flying back early Sunday.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
End of June looking a bit tasty, Thurston Moore and Richard Dawson, both at The Old Market. Lovely.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You're non-stop, in no small part due to non-parenting I'd wager.
I too am going to Thurston Moore and Richard Dawson later this month and, hopefully, Zu too.

RE Green Man: obvious ones PJ Harvey and Michael Kiwanuka, maybe Ryan Adams. Thee Oh Sees and Richard Dawson, definitely. Probably Sleaford Mods, Liars, BadBadNotGood, Melt Yourself Down. I've been told Grumbling Fur are well worth a look and am intrigued by the prospect of Shirley Collins, but am open to other suggestions as there are plenty on there that I don't know of. I will also have to fit in with what my two companions want to see.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not taken any notice of this thread as I rarely go to gigs these days. But saw a stonking set from the (reformed) Doctors of Madness at the Prince Albert on Sunday.

They were everything I expected them to be - it was like being a teenage again

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not taken any notice of this thread as I rarely go to gigs these days. But saw a stonking set from the (reformed) Doctors of Madness at the Prince Albert on Sunday.

They were everything I expected them to be - it was like being a teenage again

I saw them at the Top Rank in the 70s - the electric violin was mesmeric - one of my favourite bands at the time and I still listen to their albums.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're non-stop, in no small part due to non-parenting I'd wager.
I too am going to Thurston Moore and Richard Dawson later this month and, hopefully, Zu too.

RE Green Man: obvious ones PJ Harvey and Michael Kiwanuka, maybe Ryan Adams. Thee Oh Sees and Richard Dawson, definitely. Probably Sleaford Mods, Liars, BadBadNotGood, Melt Yourself Down. I've been told Grumbling Fur are well worth a look and am intrigued by the prospect of Shirley Collins, but am open to other suggestions as there are plenty on there that I don't know of. I will also have to fit in with what my two companions want to see.

I've seen Grumbling Fur and have a few of their long players. Worth seeing if they don't clash with anything else. And yes, no children :smile:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I saw them at the Top Rank in the 70s - the electric violin was mesmeric - one of my favourite bands at the time and I still listen to their albums.

They said they'd played Brighton before but I'm astonished that I missed it - they were one of my favourites in the 70s too and I still play their albums. I can only assume they played Brighton when I was away at uni, I'd never have missed it otherwise. You don't have a rough date do you?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
They said they'd played Brighton before but I'm astonished that I missed it - they were one of my favourites in the 70s too and I still play their albums. I can only assume they played Brighton when I was away at uni, I'd never have missed it otherwise. You don't have a rough date do you?

Think it was in 1976 but can't be clear in the exact date after doing a bit of research - it was a brilliant night - glad I was there.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Doing the same - taking my boy to see Kraftwerk as his first gig. My older brother took me to see The Clash in about 1980 for my first gig so I like to feel I am carrying on some kind of tradition. Don't think they cost £80 though!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Doing the same - taking my boy to see Kraftwerk as his first gig. My older brother took me to see The Clash in about 1980 for my first gig so I like to feel I am carrying on some kind of tradition. Don't think they cost £80 though!

We worked out that a babysitter would cost £30-40, and it didn't sound that bad to shell out (what I think was) £60 for our tickets.
Hope you both enjoy it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Also of to Kraftwerk in a bit. Looking forward to this massively- mentioned it at work to a few of the youngsters and they had not heard of them. Tragic.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Kraftwerk tonight. Simply incredible. In over 35 years of gig going I have not seen anything like this before. Even the terrible Brighton Centre could not prevent this being absolutely superb.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Kraftwerk tonight. Simply incredible. In over 35 years of gig going I have not seen anything like this before. Even the terrible Brighton Centre could not prevent this being absolutely superb.

We had a fine time too. Although the sound was so quiet until loads of people started shouting 'turn it up'. It certainly got louder with Radioactivity.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Have a newly acquired ticket for Kraftwerk at RAH so looking forward to it a lot having read many positive comments on this thread!

Got back from my 7th Primavera on Sunday - wonderful weekend as ever with perhaps slightly fewer stand out acts than usual - very much enjoyed Broken Social Scene (first time seeing them), Angel Olsen (likewise), Teenage Fanclub and Afghan Whigs. Nice surprise to hear the new Mogwai album in public for the first time. Generally avoided the main stages as the English 'lads on tour' factor is sadly rising year on year, with all the mindless chatter, look at me fancy dress and drunkenness lols that that entails. This means that with a heavy heart I only dropped in one Arcade Fire as they premiered their new tour, though very impressive it looked. Also managed to miss their secret set which was a bummer,

Other than aforementioned Kraftwerk gig I also have Richard Dawson, Whitney and Beach Fossils coming up. Hoping for some more Brighton stopovers as bands add in dates around festivals, still crossing everything for a Jens Lekman date after I missed him at The Haunt last time he was here.

Finally - who else is going to bite on Godspeed You at the Dome? They were wonderful last time, but balking at the £27.50 price tag and the fact it will be pretty much the same show...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
We had a fine time too. Although the sound was so quiet until loads of people started shouting 'turn it up'. It certainly got louder with Radioactivity.

That's the shitness of the Brighton Centre for you. We were near the front (row E ) and the sound was pretty good throughout.
What were the visuals like further back? Felt like the spaceLab was going to land on us!
Hope your lad enjoyed it, mine did and I've now tried to explain to him not every gig is alike that. Maybe I'll take him to see The Fall next to bring him back down to earth.
Next up Buffalo Tom on Friday with Thurston Moore and Kraftwerk at the RAH later in the month.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thoroughly enjoyed Kraftwerk last night despite airport style security when getting in ( yes I know! ) and it being too quiet for half the show. Visually outstanding- particular for Robot and Autobahn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here