Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw The Pretty Things on their farewell tour at the Komedia last night. They were excellent - Dick Taylor (despite looking like a retired librarian) is a great guitarist! The support (The Sticks I think they were) were absolutely dreadful though...it was akin to three blokes who had no idea, improvising.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw them at The Great Escape two years ago, very good I thought .

Agree. Really liked them and was quite shocked lads so young can have Can, Neu and Suicide as reference points. I chatted with them as well; really great guys. I wish them well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Anyone seen Alabama 3 live? I really don’t know much about them and not the sort of band I would really listen too but going along with a friend who likes them lots and said I’d join him.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saw The Pretty Things on their farewell tour at the Komedia last night. They were excellent - Dick Taylor (despite looking like a retired librarian) is a great guitarist! The support (The Sticks I think they were) were absolutely dreadful though...it was akin to three blokes who had no idea, improvising.

I was there too. I'm amazed Phil May is still alive - I first saw them in the Assembly Rooms, Tunbridge Wells in 1964 and he was so out of it two roadies had to stand either side of him holding him up while he sang!! They were good last night and Dick Taylor was excellent. Agree also about The Sticks, they were bloody awful - they wouldn't have lasted long in a northern working mans club but Brighton being Brighton.....

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I was there too. I'm amazed Phil May is still alive - I first saw them in the Assembly Rooms, Tunbridge Wells in 1964 and he was so out of it two roadies had to stand either side of him holding him up while he sang!! They were good last night and Dick Taylor was excellent. Agree also about The Sticks, they were bloody awful - they wouldn't have lasted long in a northern working mans club but Brighton being Brighton.....

I was also there. Wasn't particularly impressed by the pretty things. In 48 years of regularly attending concerts, I've only ever seen one or two bands that were worse than their support band last night. Just returned from seeing Robert Vincent and Beth Nielsen Chapman in London. She was introduced onto the stage by no other than Bob Harris, who apparently is a great friend of hers. He raves about Robert Vincent, and I Don't blame him. I don't think BNC is in the same league as Patty Griffin.

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
Anyone go to the SLF gig last night? I hadn't being paying any attention in the lead up to the gig and was gobsmacked to find the Ruts (albeit whats left of them) as support.. I came away thinking I enjoyed them more than Mr Burns and co...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone go to the SLF gig last night? I hadn't being paying any attention in the lead up to the gig and was gobsmacked to find the Ruts (albeit whats left of them) as support.. I came away thinking I enjoyed them more than Mr Burns and co...

I was there.

Loved Mighty Soldier. And agree that Ruts were fabulous. I'd say they were equal to SLF.

I thought the whole gig was fantastic. SLF were brilliant. His voice is superb.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wife dragged me to Tom Walker at The Haunt on Saturday. Not my bag at all and we were two of about 10 people present aged over 35 so I have to say I was surprisingly impressed. Good tight backing band, genuinely driving, rocky tunes and even a little bluesy here and there. I do worry that Steve Mac will produce the life out of him by the time the album’s out but the wife proclaimed herself delighted with the gig and the fact that we seem to be able to out-drink and out-bounce a good few millennials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes indeed.

nm.JPG

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Heads up for any metalheads on here King Leviathan will be laying waste to the Green Door Store on saturday night after the Leicester game. My personal favourite band from Brighton, and they are simply superb live.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sons of Kemet at Komedia, 30 October. I saw them there a few years back and there was only 70 or 80 in the audience. I suspect there will be plenty more this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here