Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

boik

Anyone else go to End Of The Road ? My first time and I can see why they call it the poshest festival - brilliantly organised, great food and even clean bogs. Luckily the music was fantastic despite some annoying clashes. Highlights for me were Hookworms, Oh Sees, St Vincent, Josh T Pearson and local favourites AK/DK kicking up a storm in the big top despite the lunchtime slot. Even the weather was perfect.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Anyone else go to End Of The Road ? My first time and I can see why they call it the poshest festival - brilliantly organised, great food and even clean bogs. Luckily the music was fantastic despite some annoying clashes. Highlights for me were Hookworms, Oh Sees, St Vincent, Josh T Pearson and local favourites AK/DK kicking up a storm in the big top despite the lunchtime slot. Even the weather was perfect.

I did. It was our first time too. Would agree with your assessment.
I really enjoyed the first three of your highlights (didn't see AKDK), but also though the following were excellent:
Imarhan (my band of the festival), Duds, Wild Billy Childish, Flatworms, Shame, Mulatu Astatke, Richard Dawson, Jim White, Zimpel/Ziolek, Idles and Ice Age.

boik

I did. It was our first time too. Would agree with your assessment.
I really enjoyed the first three of your highlights (didn't see AKDK), but also though the following were excellent:
Imarhan (my band of the festival), Duds, Wild Billy Childish, Flatworms, Shame, Mulatu Astatke, Richard Dawson, Jim White, Zimpel/Ziolek, Idles and Ice Age.

Oh yes, I forgot the Mr and Mrs Childish show - very entertaining. Actually, there was lots of good stuff in the Big Top - never seen Screaming Females before and thought she was excellent although not really my type of music. Same with Amyl and the Sniffers - I'd never buy a CD to listen to, but a good live show. I like Shame a lot, but thought the lead singer could do with toning down his mock aggression act a bit. I was having a lot of back pain from standing a lot, so missed the late shows in the Tipi. Gutted to miss the AK/DK and Snapped Ankles improv at 02:30. I was really looking forward to Omar Souleyman as I love the music, but there was just no 'show' to keep me interested. Should have played with a proper band rather than just keyboards and backing tracks. And I don't think Feist makes a headliner.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh yes, I forgot the Mr and Mrs Childish show - very entertaining. Actually, there was lots of good stuff in the Big Top - never seen Screaming Females before and thought she was excellent although not really my type of music. Same with Amyl and the Sniffers - I'd never buy a CD to listen to, but a good live show. I like Shame a lot, but thought the lead singer could do with toning down his mock aggression act a bit. I was having a lot of back pain from standing a lot, so missed the late shows in the Tipi. Gutted to miss the AK/DK and Snapped Ankles improv at 02:30. I was really looking forward to Omar Souleyman as I love the music, but there was just no 'show' to keep me interested. Should have played with a proper band rather than just keyboards and backing tracks. And I don't think Feist makes a headliner.

Agree about Amyl and the Sniffers
I'd definitely go again, but will wait to see their line-ups. We did Green Man last year, and would go back there too. They're both of a fairly similar size and feel.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Got Doomsday Deathfest at The Green Door Store on saturday. Just been listening to the rather impressive Casket Feeder who are second on the bill, really looking forward to seeing them. Basement Torture Killings headline but it's the supporting cast that has grabbed me, Angron and Enslavement in particular. Can't imagine there are many death metal fans on here, but it should be a cracking day.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Got Doomsday Deathfest at The Green Door Store on saturday. Just been listening to the rather impressive Casket Feeder who are second on the bill, really looking forward to seeing them. Basement Torture Killings headline but it's the supporting cast that has grabbed me, Agrona and Enslavement in particular. Can't imagine there are many death metal fans on here, but it should be a cracking day.

How many days until you can hear clearly again. Sounds like an audio onslaught.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another brilliant Thee Oh Sees, or whatever they’re called these days, gig last night. Really really good, and those two drummers are mesmerising as they pound away.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Really looking forward to this tonight......and relax

download.jpg

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I went to see Paris Monster last week at the Prince Albert, the frontman Josh plays the drums with one hand, keyboard with the other and sings! Highly recommend them if you can catch any of the remaining dates of the tour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been to see Jeff Mills (drum machines, synths) and Tony Allen (regular drums) do some improv. Interesting stuff.

Jul 7, 2003
I was at the Dome on Monday night to watch those 80's pop-rocker's Europe in action. Support was from British Blues Rock band King King who were actually fairly decent. Quite a few long numbers in a support set but very easy to listen to and I might explore their catalogue a bit more.

First time I've seen Europe play in around 25 years and they were still a good live band. Joey Tempest may have lost the blonde bubble perm or old but still has a strong voice and good range. Newer material is more sophisticated than the old 3 minute 'hits' of the 80's but holds up well. Obviously they finished with their most famous song - still one of the great rock anthems.

One high point of the evening was the drum solo. Now, I had widdly widdly guitar solos with a passion and while drum solos are a bit more interesting, a bloke banging the drums can be fairly boring. However, this one was done with the William Tell Overture played behind it. Not often you see people smiling through a drum solo.

Only downside of the evening was the crowd - or lack of. I think it may be generous to say that the Dome was half full. Ticket prices weren't bad but I don't think the gig was particularly well marketed, However, people often complain about established acts not coming to Brighton and yet don't come out and support them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forgot to say I also saw Amen Dunes last week. Enjoyable but he has a penchant for turning his back to the audience which is a tad annoying.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was at the Dome on Monday night to watch those 80's pop-rocker's Europe in action. Support was from British Blues Rock band King King who were actually fairly decent. Quite a few long numbers in a support set but very easy to listen to and I might explore their catalogue a bit more.

First time I've seen Europe play in around 25 years and they were still a good live band. Joey Tempest may have lost the blonde bubble perm or old but still has a strong voice and good range. Newer material is more sophisticated than the old 3 minute 'hits' of the 80's but holds up well. Obviously they finished with their most famous song - still one of the great rock anthems.

One high point of the evening was the drum solo. Now, I had widdly widdly guitar solos with a passion and while drum solos are a bit more interesting, a bloke banging the drums can be fairly boring. However, this one was done with the William Tell Overture played behind it. Not often you see people smiling through a drum solo.

Only downside of the evening was the crowd - or lack of. I think it may be generous to say that the Dome was half full. Ticket prices weren't bad but I don't think the gig was particularly well marketed, However, people often complain about established acts not coming to Brighton and yet don't come out and support them.

25 years, it’s 31 for me....and my bubble perm has also disappeared :lolol:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Coming up in October/November, Teleman,The Lovely Eggs, British Sea Power, The MonoChrome Set, Courtney Barnet, Mogwai, BC Camplight.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
sting-shaggy-album-2018-fdc3be56-cea2-4c7a-922c-07b3092cd89f.jpg

Can't wait for this tomorrow night. Not a huge Sting fan (at all) but his reggae/Caribbean album with Shaggy is wonderful. In a small standing-only club, too.

And I'm kinda hoping they combine to do Regatta De Blanc, always my favourite Police track after Can't Stand Losing You and Roxanne.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been to see Tim Hecker perform his latest project with the Konoyo Ensemble in deepest darkest East Berlin. Very enjoyable and soothing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw Teleman last night at Concorde. Absolutely brilliant and especially loud. Good selection of new and old material ending with an extended Not In Control which was just outstanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here