Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As a follow up to the 2013 thread and with a bit of persuasion from Herr Tubthumper I thought it was worth thinking about next year and provide a place for anyone to post news and reviews for any band/festivals etc they have planned ahead. If anyone knows how the threads can be merged that would be great as there is a fair bit on last years which is worth keeping to look back on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure a kind mod will merge this. Onto business: so far I have Midlake, Toy, Daniel Avery/Erol Arkan, of Montreal and Arcade Fire at Earls Court and in Berlin. I'm also prob going to go to Polica and Moderat. The latter has sold out though so need to work out how I'm going to get in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I recommend Polar Bear, who are playing at the Komedia in March. It's a perfect venue for their music, which is broadly highly accomplished avant-garde jazz with a punk ethic and aesthetic. Don't let that put you off though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm sure a kind mod will merge this. Onto business: so far I have Midlake, Toy, Daniel Avery/Erol Arkan, of Montreal and Arcade Fire at Earls Court and in Berlin. I'm also prob going to go to Polica and Moderat. The latter has sold out though so need to work out how I'm going to get in.

Some great stuff there. Seeing Toy too at Hove Market Place- not heard their new album yet but hoping that Santa will deliver. Also got Great Escape, British Sea Power, Cate le Bon, The Wedding Present x 2 and Parquet Courts. Lots more to come I dare say.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
well assuming this carries on from the 2013 thread.
Last week saw...
Yo La Tengo at the De La Warr - great set, great venue - odd crowd first time I have seen a couple arrive at a gig with a push chair - is there a creche?!
Wooden Shjips at Audio ... bit disappointing, love the album but it all seemed a bit subdued possibly Monday night blues.
From the Jam at Concorde..great night playing All Mod Cons, really like the way the singer does n't try to be Paul Weller.
Rounds off a great year of live music for me.

Next year...Polica booked, possibly Parquet Courts. Also mention of a friend's new band, Les Stoogers who play The Green Door on Sat 25th Jan (after Leeds)..playing mainly covers from first three Stooges album. Not seen them yet but could be a fun night and only a fiver.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
So far in 2014 planning on Parquet Courts at the Concorde, great escape, Frank Turner at the o2 and hopefully Pearl Jam at Milton Keynes bowl

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rocking at the Amex when Rod arrives

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I recommend Polar Bear, who are playing at the Komedia in March. It's a perfect venue for their music, which is broadly highly accomplished avant-garde jazz with a punk ethic and aesthetic. Don't let that put you off though.

I saw them at Great Escape about three years ago in The Komedia. A friend persuaded me to go along as not what I would normally choose to watch. Have to say that they were pretty good but not sure I could take more than half an hour which was about the length of their set.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Neil Young supported by The National at Hyde Park
Arcade Fire - Earls Court
Goldfrapp and Franz Ferdinand The Dome

Might grab a ticket for Polar Bear after reading this.
Don't know if I can get away with Parquet Courts on valentino's day.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Neil Young supported by The National at Hyde Park
Arcade Fire - Earls Court
Goldfrapp and Franz Ferdinand The Dome

Might grab a ticket for Polar Bear after reading this.
Don't know if I can get away with Parquet Courts on valentino's day.

Neil Young is probably my favourite artist, but Polar Bear are not like him.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Paul Jones & Dave kelly at St Paul's in Worthing, Larry Miller, King King & Big Boy Bloater at the Ropetackle and Hawkwind at Shepherds Bush Empire booked so far.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Tickets acquired so far in 2014:

I Like Trains - Dordrecht
Midlake - Utrecht
Neutral Milk Hotel - Utrecht
Arcade Fire -Antwerp

Will be doing Pukkelpop for the 12th time in August, although tickets won't go on sale until April.

Bound to be lots more.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Springsteen and The e Street Band with Little Stephen early Feb', queens of the stoneage and Nine inch Nails double bill and Arctic Monkeys in March - all at Perth Arena. Unless I win a ticket no Big Day Out for me......

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I shall be seeing I Like Trains on Valentine's Day.

Cant think of a better way to spend time on the 14th Feb- although that is the date I am seeing Parquet Courts. A group of us are going from work so united in numbers against the traditions of St Valentine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I saw them at Great Escape about three years ago in The Komedia. A friend persuaded me to go along as not what I would normally choose to watch. Have to say that they were pretty good but not sure I could take more than half an hour which was about the length of their set.

Fair enough. I don't think you're quite such an old man as I am, but when you get there, you might take more kindly to jazz. You might also think that, as good as the music is at The Great Escape, queuing for hours to see a band is not the best way to spend the few hours you get to go out. I remember getting a ticket six years ago, and was the only nights I'd had out since my son had been born (his bowled over at the mo, because he got photographed with his favourite player, KLL, on Sunday). While my two friends were in The Pressure Point witnessing Bon Iver play his For Emma set, I was stood right at the front of the queue all the way through his set. I do approve of most of what you recommend on here, however.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm keen to hear recommendations particularly for Brighton, but rather than hear these in isolation, is there any chance that you can include the following questions (if this takes off, others can add or amend alternative ones):
Three favourite live bands
Favourite Brighton venues
Gig(s) of the year (so far)

My answers are:
Pixies, Shellac, Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Green Door Store, St George's Church, (Freebutt: RIP)
Peter Brotzmann @ GDS, Kraftwerk (Electricity) @ Tate Modern, F*** Buttons @ Concorde 2, Mark Lanegan @ SGC, Hookworms @ GDS (I think)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here