Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Was at the Royal Albert Hall yesterday, for one of the Teenage Cancer Trust shows - The Who, supported by Noel Gallagher (who was only announced when we arrived there). Supposed to have been doing an acoustic Tommy, but Dawltry 'fessed up that it was his mistake to announce it as that - would've taken four weeks of rehearsal and a lot of work to sort out. A bit ramshackle (Dawltry: "We've not done it for 30 years, so excuse the mistakes" Townshend: "And I'm not doing the f***ing thing for another 30 years...") but good nonetheless and couldn't believe the energy of Zac Starkey on drums.

Gallagher was one of the best support acts I'd ever seen - just him and a keyboard player, running through a load of Oasis classics along with one or two of his own things. Heartily recommend if he ever does any more of this sort of thing... a small, sort-of-unplugged performance...

Jul 7, 2003
The Darkness will be playing the Brighton Dome on 11th December. Also see Sparks are doing a small UK tour in September to support their first Album for eight years.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I saw Grandaddy this evening and was really impressed. I've never heard anything by them before. I was there to see Amber arcades, who were on stage between 19:00 & 19:30. I really love this band. They did not disappoint.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Richard Dawson (full band) - Old Market - 25 June.

I'll probably try and catch this tour in London as well. I'm led to believe his forthcoming album, his first with a full band, is amazing. His last 'Nothing Important' was likely my favourite album of 2014.

Jul 7, 2003
Went to see Ghost at the Dome last night. After a quick drink in Brewdog, we got to the Dome after the support act - Zombi - had started. Walked in to find a bloke playing the drums wearing headphones, his mate playing guitar and some pre-programmed keyboards playing. Lasted three songs before going back to the bar. Can only describe it as watching a kid practising his drums in his bedroom. All very strange.

And so to Ghost. It was an interesting show - part religious mass, part rock gig, part League of Gentlemen, part Beetlejuice! Fifteen minutes before the band were due on stage, the house lights went down and the religious mass type music started. Then crew members stepped onto the stage in sequence, bowed to the audience and each other before removing the cloths covering the stage set, repeating the bowing before leaving the stage. Similar thing with the drum tech when he came on stage to check the drum kit.

The first part of the gig, Papa Emeritus (the lead singer) was in full papal gowns and hat leading the nameless ghouls in the songs before changing into his other outfit which looked like a cross between the aforementioned Beetlejuice and Michael Jackson. He is a very good front man and the band were very tight in the music they play. At the end of the gig, there was a sense from some of the audience of "what the **** was that?". Have to say, it was a decent sized crowd for a Sunday night at the Dome.

I'm please I went but had to think of it more as a show than a gig. Would I go again? I'm not sure.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Went to see Ghost at the Dome last night. After a quick drink in Brewdog, we got to the Dome after the support act - Zombi - had started. Walked in to find a bloke playing the drums wearing headphones, his mate playing guitar and some pre-programmed keyboards playing. Lasted three songs before going back to the bar. Can only describe it as watching a kid practising his drums in his bedroom. All very strange.

And so to Ghost. It was an interesting show - part religious mass, part rock gig, part League of Gentlemen, part Beetlejuice! Fifteen minutes before the band were due on stage, the house lights went down and the religious mass type music started. Then crew members stepped onto the stage in sequence, bowed to the audience and each other before removing the cloths covering the stage set, repeating the bowing before leaving the stage. Similar thing with the drum tech when he came on stage to check the drum kit.

The first part of the gig, Papa Emeritus (the lead singer) was in full papal gowns and hat leading the nameless ghouls in the songs before changing into his other outfit which looked like a cross between the aforementioned Beetlejuice and Michael Jackson. He is a very good front man and the band were very tight in the music they play. At the end of the gig, there was a sense from some of the audience of "what the **** was that?". Have to say, it was a decent sized crowd for a Sunday night at the Dome.

I'm please I went but had to think of it more as a show than a gig. Would I go again? I'm not sure.

Thanks for that review. I'm seeing them at Bloodstock, sounds like a theatrical show. They are topping the bill after Kreator so I'l be knackered by the time they are on sounds like a good way to finish the saturday off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here