Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Haven't seen one or both to compare

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Bollocks

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Well yes, but the OP left that avenue well and truly open by giving no substantiation to calling it absolutely awful. It certainly wasn't absolutely awful, even if it wasn't someone's cup of tea.

sorry - i didnt expect such debate over my short review

i wanted to like it - im not the kind of person who has to watch movies with explosions etc - in fact my favourite movies are the ones that make you think or are open-ended that promote debate etc...

however, i just couldnt get into it, and if you cant get into a movie that is something as long as that, you tend to end up hating it by the end.......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I watched the modern version with Gary Oldman on Amazon Prime.

A very good film, yet another brilliant performance by Gary Oldman.

I was a bit too young to get into the Alec Guiness TV version, but I'll buy that at some stage and expect it to be high quality.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The BBC series is infinitely better than the film.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've read the books, seen the TV series and the film and heard all the BBC radio adaptations where Smiley is played variously by Bernard Hepton, Peter Vaughan, George Cole and most recently by Simon Russell Beale but whenever I think of George Smiley the image I get is of Arthur Lowe (not in a home guard uniform).
I thought the film was very good but the TV series has a lot longer to develop the story and has more of a 'cold war' feeling to it.

I've tried his books and the films and TV stuff, but it never really worked for me, but...I remember stumbling across SRB's Spy Who Came In From The Cold on the radio one afternoon, went for a walk with it on headphones, couldn't stop walking til it'd finished. Brian Cox was the main man - all brilliantly done, I thought.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've tried his books and the films and TV stuff, but it never really worked for me, but...I remember stumbling across SRB's Spy Who Came In From The Cold on the radio one afternoon, went for a walk with it on headphones, couldn't stop walking til it'd finished. Brian Cox was the main man - all brilliantly done, I thought.

Some radio plays are awful, but when you have a stellar cast reading a classic, I know exactly where you're at.

I remember being out and having the headphones in while listening to Toby Stephens as James Bond in From Russia With Love on Radio 4. Similarly, I carried on walking around until it was finished.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The BBC version of Tinker Tailor Solider Spy is blocked on YouTube. Smiley's People was still available last time I looked.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
After reading the thread title, I was most disappointed to discover that it wasn't about which of the four professions would win in a fight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Le Carré himself did state that, for later George Smiley books, he based the characteristics around Alec Guinness' portrayal.
The great irony of this is that Ewan McGregor seems to base his Obi-wan performance in Star Wars The Phantom Menace on Guinness!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I remember being out and having the headphones in while listening to Toby Stephens as James Bond in From Russia With Love on Radio 4. Similarly, I carried on walking around until it was finished.

Oh they're good too. I'm not sure they're as 'timeless' as John le Carre but the radio productions are t'riffic fun.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The BBC series by a mile.

The Film isn't even the best John Le Carre film, that would be the Spy who came in from the cold with Richard Burton as Alec Leamas

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Currently on iPlayer

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

jean-luc godard spy GIF

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
The TV series gives the story more time to breathe. As a whodunnit it's also better as both the Esterhase and Bland characters are fleshed out as possible moles.

Anyone who knows the Kim Philby story can easily spot the villain though in both versions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the film is rather rushed and obvious, TV is a far better telling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here