Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
3018_2887_m.jpg

[video]http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/romanesco-cauliflower[/video]

Thats the boy

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Had chicken feet in the China Garden thinking there must be something to them, for them to be on the menu...There isn't, they looked disgusting and tasted even worse

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ouite partial to a romunesque , a cross between a cauliflower and broccli , see them a lot in the fruit & veg shops locally so asume they are available elsewhere .

You can get them in SAINOS

Durian fruit. Delicious!

Nice tasting but they smell like babies nappies - after the baby has had a Madras. They are banned from lifts in Asia.

Had chicken feet in the China Garden thinking there must be something to them, for them to be on the menu...There isn't, they looked disgusting and tasted even worse

I had them in Taipei and agree. Also had snake blood and stinky tofu neither of which I would recommend and octopus beak which I would. The worst Asian food though is NATTO. Think fermented bogies.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
TBH I was joking about durian fruit. Smell bad, taste worse. I returned buying durian sweets once and handing them out just before a church service in Lewes. It amused me to see, one by one, the people who'd accepted my kind act, excuse themselves from the meeting in order to get a drink and rid themselves of the offending article.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Gołąbki, a Polish dish - pork meatballs in cabbage leaves and a rich sauce. Best made by my Aunt Lucyna in Łódź, but if that's too far to go, it's also available in jars in Sainsbury's for under £2 in the foreign foods section. Look for the red lids. Tesco too, but the Pudliszki brand stocked in Sainsbury's is better.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Seeing there's a lot of exotic fruit on here, one of my favourites is now NASHI, Japanese pears. Rounder than our pears and much crisper. Really really nice.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Vietnamese pho. The veg and herbs used really stand out. Cheap as chips in Saigon.

...and yes I realize there's a restaurant chain called pho...one I Black Lion St I think

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
peny8a6e.jpg

Dragon Fruit - looks great but sadly tastes a bit dull. Like a cross between a kiwi fruit and a pear, but without the flavour.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My missus has converted me to soymilk, rather than cows milk. I can even eat natto. But I draw the line at TOFU, tasteless wobbly wubbish.

I lived in Tokyo for nine months and mostly love Japanese food. I will defend sushi and sashimi to death and probably only cook my fish back home medium rare. There is NOTHING like a hot bowl of ramen and a cold beer on a cool winter's day. And the aforementioned nashi pears are LUSH. However, natto aside, I did have a few odd, a few revolting and a few tasteless dishes and without exception they involved tofu, daikon or both.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I love kimchi. ... The spicier the better for me.

Absolutely. The best kimchi should make your scalp itch.

Kkakdugi - radish kimchi - is even better in my books.

Both dead easy to make at home too.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We grew kohl Rabi very easily on our allotment last few years, strange looking beast, a bit like a swede/turnip, grows on top of the soil and peels like a potato, can be roasted or steamed, mashed etc,... really tasty.

HomegrownKohlrabi.jpg

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Soy has been linked with messing with male hormones, including effecting fertility and even growth of breast tissue in men.

Try Almond milk for a good milk alternative.

You make a good point. I have a fairly well developed pair of man chebs (I don`t like the moobs expression, altho god knows man chebs is not great) and maybe this is a result of the soy habit. Although I have other bad habits relating to beer and tabs, so who knows. Almond milk is OK but a wee bit like a depth charge in your coffee and needs a good stir from time to time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here