Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best ITALIAN in Brighton and Hove

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Are we in danger of a little bit of food snobbery here?

Is it not possible for someone to make excellent and very tasty food of a specific national origin if they themselves don't come from that region?

Of course it is.

In danger? Post 6 onwards confirms it.

Snobbery is essential here. I've been asked a favour for a 40th for people who know Italian.

*sotto voce* They're my wife's friends and my own opinion is that they should probably have booked a weekend in Florence or Sicily but they didn't.

The snobbery is a bit important because......

Controversial that Donatellos only gets one mention on this forum.

I thought it was good

Not it's not. Because anyone with taste buds thinks it's shit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
To expand on Edna's point Theo Randall is one of the best Italian chefs in the world and he's English. However, since Latin in the Lane closed my experience is there is nowhere in Brighton that would even come up to scrutiny by one of Theo's Commis.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Mediterraneo Delicatessen in Clyde Road.

Does bespoke menus and is no doubt the most authentic Italian restaurant in Brighton and Hove if you want the full experience. One sitting per night, intimate atmosphere. Sicilian food. Only opens as a restaurant Friday and Saturday nights. When you book you discuss the menu you would like and what sort of food you would like to try etc.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Of course it is.

Snobbery is essential here. I've been asked a favour for a 40th for people who know Italian.

*sotto voce* They're my wife's friends and my own opinion is that they should probably have booked a weekend in Florence or Sicily but they didn't.

The snobbery is a bit important because......

Not it's not. Because anyone with taste buds thinks it's shit.

I agree with the general sentiment here. I do think the standard of Italian restaurants is poor, mainly because the menus lack inspiration and generally prices do not reflect this. The food at Donatellos tastes fine, they deliver reliable and relatively cheap Italian style food to a large crowd. If I hear a large group is heading to Brighton at the weekend and want a recommendation where to eat, Donatellos is right up there, they will likely find you a table and you won't get ripped off. Sloppy mistakes in my experience are few and far between, so in summary consistent and reasonable value. Just not somewhere to recommend for a memorable meal for a special occasion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I agree with the general sentiment here. I do think the standard of Italian restaurants is poor, mainly because the menus lack inspiration and generally prices do not reflect this. The food at Donatellos tastes fine, they deliver reliable and relatively cheap Italian style food to a large crowd. If I hear a large group is heading to Brighton at the weekend and want a recommendation where to eat, Donatellos is right up there, they will likely find you a table and you won't get ripped off. Sloppy mistakes in my experience are few and far between, so in summary consistent and reasonable value. Just not somewhere to recommend for a memorable meal for a special occasion.

Fair point well made, though I'm still sure their lasagna is just a frozen one that's been microwaved!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But the service at Donatellos is often DREADFUL. There are plenty of other places that are just as cheap with much nicer food.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Unsure if anyone has mentioned it but Alfrescos is pretty darn good. A table upstairs means great food, service and a view.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Has Angelo retired? I haven't been to Hove for a while and was told that Topolino Duo has been closed. :(
Yes he has. Great shame. He is an avid Seagulls fan and we have been going to Topolino duo since it was simply Topolino further down the road. Always made welcome and well entertained.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
La Capannina, just off St James Street, good range of basics and specials, reasonable prices, went there last night with a group of six all said it was excellent.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pinnochio's. The food is lovely *

*After 10 pints.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Long gone but umbertos in rottingdean was brilliant for a comedy provincial Italian. Many a good time in there. Umberto used to literally bully people into finishing their plates and take great offence if you said you were too full.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here