Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did your ****ing suitcase buy a train ticket ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I hear yer Wookiee. I make a beeline for those selfish *******s on purpose when I'm getting on a busy train.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Am on the 11.46 from Worthing to London Victoria, it's packed so many inconsiderate twTs with their suitcase on a seat, I just asked somebody to move theirs and he said to where, I was so close to telling him exactly where he could put his suitcase !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Am on the 11.46 from Worthing to London Victoria, it's packed so many inconsiderate twTs with their suitcase on a seat, I just asked somebody to move theirs and he said to where, I was so close to telling him exactly where he could put his suitcase !

why dont you? its awkward afterwards sitting next to someone of course, but i'd make exactly your point to them and ask to see the suitcase's ticket. have a row, lights up the journey :moo:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The real issue here is that some people need to "grow a pair or to be precise be assertive. The fave technique for the selfish is to sit on the aisle seat and place their bags/case/ coat on the window seat. Just politely ask them to move so you can sit down and just rise above any begrudging noises. Failing that tell them to shift their asses!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just ask. What's the problem? I remember once getting onto a train at Kings Lynn, it's the first and last station so hardly ever busy. I put my bag beside me as it had bits and bobs I wanted to use during the journey in it. Just kind of drifted off into my own world and didn't notice the carriage filling up. Next thing I hear "Buy two tickets did you? BUY TWO TICKETS DID YOU?" Some big fat shaky woman with a cat in a basket needed the seat. She really got my back up. She was making a right fuss muttering at me under her breath as she arranged her cat and whatnot so I said to her, quite calmly

"I've freed up the seat so there's no need to keep on, sit down or **** off but either way, shut up"

Also true: about ten mins later her cat shit diareah in its basket down by her feet. Luckily it had a curbed solid bottom so didn't run out but is reeked. I'm trying to ignore it, gazing out the window with my headphones on when I get poked in the shoulder.

"You don't have to turn your nose up at her, it's not HER FAULT!!! SHE GETS NERVOUS"

Unbeknownst to me someone else had called the ticket bod and she was asked to take the cat off the train for H&S reasons at Cambridge. Thank god.

Anyway, yes, it's nice when people are a bit more aware, especially on a train that is bound to be packed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Trouble is, these days, even if you ask politely you don't know what sort of answer you'll get - chances are you'll just get told to f off.

Such a load of hillocks. That's your perception perhaps but it's just not true. Occasionally you get confrontation but because those worst fear - and fear sells news stories - everyone thinks that's the reaction. But it's just not true. As the poster above says sometimes people are just not aware of their surroundings and just needs someone to ask politely to move down etc but instead many people just presume and go off on one. Just as bad! I've seen loads of people recently offering seats to elderly and pregnant women on the tube lately. Done it myself. Never seen someone knife someone for asking for luggage to be moved from seat though!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Such a load of hillocks. That's your perception perhaps but it's just not true. Occasionally you get confrontation but because those worst fear - and fear sells news stories - everyone thinks that's the reaction. But it's just not true. As the poster above says sometimes people are just not aware of their surroundings and just needs someone to ask politely to move down etc but instead many people just presume and go off on one. Just as bad! I've seen loads of people recently offering seats to elderly and pregnant women on the tube lately. Done it myself. Never seen someone knife someone for asking for luggage to be moved from seat though!

That's not what I said at all though. I've given my seat up too, only last week in fact. I've also been given a moughful when I asked someone to take their feet off a seat so I could sit dowm

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Got on a bus the other day to Streatham and there was a dog laid out on two seats on the top deck. I was pretty sure the fella in the seats behind was his owner. For a laugh I went up to the dog and said "Do you mind moving over?" There were a load of schoolkids on there who found it quite funny. The bloke was off his tits and it was about 8:30 in the morning. Quite depressing really but the kids thought this dog stretched out was hilarious. The dog was pretty well behaved too. But he wouldn't move over.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The classic is putting the bag by the window and sitting in the aisle seat. May I recommend that everyone targets these people even if there are other seats available. They know exactly what they are doing and it's always entertaining to watch them as they go through the same process: pretend they don't know you are there; look up and around as if they have just noticed you and to suggest that other seats should be used - easier for everyone; look perturbed when it is clear you want the seat their bag is using; watch them sigh and huff and puff as they slowly pick up the bag as if it is the density of star matter (7 tonnes per cubic inch btw) whilst hoping that you will cave and go somewhere else to avoid them having to make such a sacrifice; watch the look of seething resentment roll across their visage when they realise you're making them free up the seat because you have rumbled them; watch them struggle to look as if they wanted you to sit in the seat all along; enjoy their rictus grin for the rest of the journey knowing that they despise every cell in your body.

I'm loving commuting again. There is one of these on my route most days and by now she knows I'm coming for her. Must drive her mad.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't see why commuters make such a big deal out of this. Some people don't commute every day and as a result don't know any better, just ask nicely and everything will be ok. I've seen it happen loads of times, getting arsey just makes you look like a moron. Feeling like you've been empowered to be rude to people just because you travel a long way to work is more a reflection that your life has become empty and meaningless, bereft of empathy or understanding. If the only joy you can experience during that journey is because you behaved in a sour, agressive manner then I feel quite sorry for you. The people leaving bags on the seat probably don't think twice about it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Putting feet on seats annoys me. There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here