Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus Lanes in Liverpool

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The Mayor of Scouseland has decreed that all Bus Lanes within the City are to be removed from today for a trial period of 9 Months.

He is sure that the Lanes themselves are the cause of the congestion.

Could this work in Brighton?
It could work in Brighton but it won't be allowed to. The council would never admit that the colossal amount of money they've spent is making matters worse.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Yes and the Council say the majority of people want parking management in their areas when that is not true. People only ask for this when the adjacent area has parking restrictions and their areas are over run. As I always say, before long every road in the city will have parking meters. They stretch halfway to the boundary already.

As I always say, too many cars.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
As I always say, too many cars.
How can there be 'too many cars'? They don't go off and breed on their own; a couple of Mondeos don't go off into the forest and come back with a litter of KAs. The problem is there are too many people, and with Brighton there are actually two types of people: residents and visitors. Whilst it should/could/would be possible to reduce in-town car use among locals visitors often don't have that option. And before you say it: no, they can't all use public transport to get here.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not many cars carry multiple passengers. I once took part in a a survey, sitting on Lewes road in the rain with a clipboard, and the vast, VAST majority of the cars that passed me were single occupancy.
It's called personal space, the freedom to not have to sit next to smelly, urine stained weird people that you find on buses.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I've said it before, build a large car park out of town (or even use Bridge car park weekdays) and have a shuttle bus run into town. Commuters could park all day, visitors could miss the exorbitant charges in NCP etc, shuttle busses direct from the car park to old steine/ Churchill square every 15 mins means would need 4 busses to make it work. (Could in theory also just use the 25 bus to get in.)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It could work in Brighton but it won't be allowed to. The council would never admit that the colossal amount of money they've spent is making matters worse.

Worse for whom? Also, could you tell us how it would work?

As I've said before - to compare Liverpool and Brighton in exactly the same way has no value. Brighton has a far higher bus usage per capita than anywhere outside London. Liverpool evidently doesn't have that same culture of bus use.

So what value is there in undoing 20 years of rapid bus passenger numbers increases mainly in order to satisfy the falling minority (car users) and totally screw up the city?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've said it before, build a large car park out of town (or even use Bridge car park weekdays) and have a shuttle bus run into town. Commuters could park all day, visitors could miss the exorbitant charges in NCP etc, shuttle busses direct from the car park to old steine/ Churchill square every 15 mins means would need 4 busses to make it work. (Could in theory also just use the 25 bus to get in.)

A problem not yet fixed by any council administration for 30 years.

The one issue is - where? Bridge Car Park would offer a small solution as the majority of car drivers entering the city do so via the A23.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It's called personal space, the freedom to not have to sit next to smelly, urine stained weird people that you find on buses.

No, it's called selfishness. Sorry, but it is. Do what I do and get yourself some 'loser cruiser' gear and the bus isn't quite so bad.

EBOLA__1_.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bus companies don't like the scraping of bus lanes ..... oh the surprise !

Well, yes. The bus companies of course.

I can't help feeling that the decision was a foregone conclusion made before the survey was done, seeing as the report appears to indicate that some routes were worse off for not having bus lanes.

Where is this Brighton Pier you talk of ? No such place I'm afraid.

Very droll. Of course it should be Palace Pier, but the company is called Brighton Pier. Sadly.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I live in Liverpool and there are loads of buses and they are virtually always full. I rarely take the bus as most routes go in or out of town the other routes go in and out the dusty blue bells but can be useful if I haven't got the car. Overall from my point of view bus lanes are a waste of space. In general motorists let each other in and out and traffic tends to just flow a bit like a river. Narrowing said river to a single lane to give a slight advantage to the bus is in my opinion silly. When buses start pulling out, you kind of have no option but to let them out. The bus journey time will be effected but not by much, Arriva et al just need to adjust their timetables slightly. The major of Liverpool to his credit has recognised this and has now permanently suspended the bus routes.

I live in Liverpool and there are loads of buses and they are virtually always full. I rarely take the bus as most routes go in or out of town the other routes go in and out the dusty blue bells but can be useful if I haven't got the car. Overall from my point of view bus lanes are a waste of space. In general motorists let each other in and out and traffic tends to just flow a bit like a river. Narrowing said river to a single lane to give a slight advantage to the bus is in my opinion silly. When buses start pulling out, you kind of have no option but to let them out. The bus journey time will be effected but not by much, Arriva et al just need to adjust their timetables slightly. The major of Liverpool to his credit has recognised this and has now permanently suspended the bus routes.
The design of each bus lane is critical in determining whether it is going to work. It may well be the case that the Liverpool bus lanes were simply not going to deliver the benefits that were hoped for and it should therefore come as no surprise that some of them will be scrapped.

I've seen plenty of poorly designed bus lanes in London and wondered what the point of them was, but equally there are some examples of excellent road layouts that deliver real benefits to road users. My general assessment of Brighton's bus lanes is that they are mostly very well designed, with resources committed to getting the details right at difficult locations, such as busy junctions.

Cheapskate bus lanes that are not much more than a painted line on the road will never work very well, any more than cheapskate cycle lanes do.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A problem not yet fixed by any council administration for 30 years.

The one issue is - where? Bridge Car Park would offer a small solution as the majority of car drivers entering the city do so via the A23.

Although I agree a small solution, it would be starting something and giving commuters/ shoppers an option which they don't currently have.
As a guess (and I am no expert) set up costs would be low as busses run by there already and the car park is built. So just signage/marketing to advise drivers of its use.

IfI it is a success then would be able to pave the way for more sites around other arterial routes into the city.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here