Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Almost all numbers have a 3 in them.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Or maybe you think wrong. You could always post your explanation. Or maybe you can't. But assuming you won't, I'll just have to assume you can't.
Ok, bored with this now. If you look back at Buzzer's post (#42) he also disagreed, but was able to explain why he thought I was wrong. You didn't/weren't able to do that and just made a single post that added nothing to the debate. I simply replied to you in an identical inane and pointless fashion which was admittedly slightly petty (I should have just ignored it) and took the thread more towards traditional NSC territory of binfestry. (Apologies for the wasted posts from me and Trig to everyone else who may have been following the real discussion).

If you look at post #44 I blame my daughter for the slightly skewed explanation of different-sized infinities!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you look back at Buzzer's post (#42) he also disagreed, but was able to explain why he thought I was wrong. You didn't/weren't able to do that and just made a single post that added nothing to the debate.
Yes ok, my post didn't explain my thoughts, but I think most of us would assume that an infinity counted in decimals wasn't bigger, and not need to explain why (as it's obvious what we think re infinity). So my second post wasn't so short, and was asking for an explanation. Although you replied saying yes, I now see from post #44 (thanks) that you can't - it's your daughter I should have asked.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I know that 3 plays a big part in the way we have devised time. 60 seconds = 1 min x 60 = 1hr x 24 = 1 day x 365.242 = 1 year (ok it’s just off the perfect 366 day year) 30 days a month ish, 12 months to a year.

All divisible by 3, so 3 is a very important number.

There is obviously a good reason why time is not decimal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
but I think most of us would assume that an infinity counted in decimals wasn't bigger, and not need to explain why (as it's obvious what we think re infinity)..

Sorry but got to take you task here. I don't think that's true. People who aren't mathematicians usually apply common sense with numbers and infinity but infinity breaks every rule of logic and common sense. The idea that as the numbers get larger then they will include most numbers is a consequence of that type of thinking. It's not right but I don't think you can say that it's necessarily obvious.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No worries, you don't have to agree with me.
People who aren't mathematicians usually apply common sense with numbers and infinity but infinity breaks every rule of logic and common sense.
Is it? Seems fairly logical to me.
The idea that as the numbers get larger then they will include most numbers is a consequence of that type of thinking. It's not right but I don't think you can say that it's necessarily obvious.
I'm not sure what that has to do with my earlier post. I'm guessing that most people don't think one infinity is bigger than another, that's all.

The video Goring by seagul posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvOZm0d4H0&app=desktop) is interesting. But I don't agree with it. Using his diagonal method of listing fractions, he says: "So eventually, you are going to list every fraction. Every fraction appears on a diagonal, and you're going to list them."

I disagree. Eventually, you aren't going to list them all, because there will always be more. He might as well have stuck to one line. Sure, he'd never reach line (or indeed the number) 2, but so what. That's just shows how fruitless trying to list the numbers in infinity is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know that 3 plays a big part in the way we have devised time. 60 seconds = 1 min x 60 = 1hr x 24 = 1 day x 365.242 = 1 year (ok it’s just off the perfect 366 day year) 30 days a month ish, 12 months to a year.

All divisible by 3, so 3 is a very important number.

There is obviously a good reason why time is not decimal.

a lot of problems here. first theres no link between 60 and 24, they are artifacts of history (as far as i can tell created by ancient astronomers with too much time on thier hands, so over complicating things), one being Babylonian the other Egyptian. iirc the 60/60 for minutes and seconds follows a Greek system for measuring longitude. 1 year is 365 days rounded, not "just off" 366 which whould have been handy. 30 days and 12 months is a corruption of the Roman system, when Julius then Augustus wanted months named after them. not that the previous 10 months made much astronomical sence either, a sensible method would have been to follow the lunar cycle which is about 27 days giving 13 months. this doesnt fit neatly into 365 though, you'd need a leap month every decade.

sort version, there's nothing special about 3.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
a lot of problems here. first theres no link between 60 and 24, they are artifacts of history (as far as i can tell created by ancient astronomers with too much time on thier hands, so over complicating things), one being Babylonian the other Egyptian. iirc the 60/60 for minutes and seconds follows a Greek system for measuring longitude. 1 year is 365 days rounded, not "just off" 366 which whould have been handy. 30 days and 12 months is a corruption of the Roman system, when Julius then Augustus wanted months named after them. not that the previous 10 months made much astronomical sence either, a sensible method would have been to follow the lunar cycle which is about 27 days giving 13 months. this doesnt fit neatly into 365 though, you'd need a leap month every decade.

3 is my lucky number

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Infinitely many mathematicians walk into a bar. The first says, "I'll have a beer." The second says, "I'll have half a beer." The third says, "I'll have a quarter of a beer." The barman pulls out just two beers. The mathematicians are all like, "That's all you're giving us? How drunk do you expect us to get on that?" The bartender says, "Come on guys. Know your limits."

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

The link between 60 and 24 is that they are divisible by 3.

And a leap year is 366 days which is divisible by 3.

It is basically counting in base 12 which has more integer factors than 10 (12/2=6, 12/3=4, 12/4=3, 12/6=2).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here