Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

You think so? They'll improve the Vogue Gyratory so that cars can flow more freely through it? I'll believe it when I see it as every change over the last twenty years has been geared for the opposite effect. All the talk I've heard is to make it 'easier for pedestrians' and as a pedestrian who often walks that way I think it's fine as it is. If it CAN be made better so that cars can flow more freely then fair enough, however as I said I have zero confidence that that will be the outcome - or even the intent.
It was certainly the intention when the first outline proposals were announced. There's been public consultation since then. We can only hope that the public's input hasn't wrecked the proposals.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It doesn't work.
Now please put it back the way it the way you found it. :censored:

100% this - always said it would be a disaster - reducing the capacity of one 2 major routes out of brighton by 50%.... no surprize its freaking congested now. I guess the bus and bike w@nkers are happy though - which is nice.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's great for cyclists and bus users, so no complaints from me :clap2:

However I understand that some people have to drive which is fair enough so the congestion must be annoying. However if everyone who was just driving from (Falmer, Lewes, Moulsecoomb etc) used the bus, cycled or got on the train; which is now by far the most sensible thing to do, then the traffic queues would probably be reduced significantly!

Bingo, a sensible answer. The CROSS PARTY decision to vastly improve this road for public transport was a brave and so far good one. If you still choose to use your car (those that have a choice), I far from sympathise.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
It took me 25 minutes to travel from Coldean Lane to Coombe Road. I saw three cars eventually take the bus lane .I guess some people really need to get somewhere on time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was certainly the intention when the first outline proposals were announced. There's been public consultation since then. We can only hope that the public's input hasn't wrecked the proposals.
Well if 'the public' are the activist-types who usually respond to these proposals then yes, it will be wrecked. (Apparently 'the public' are also in favour of a bus lane up St James' Street!). In some ways, no, sorry, in many ways those complaining about 'The Greens' in general and this scheme in particular are the ones to blame. They're too apathetic to fill in the consultation forms (I was sent one for this scheme and didn't respond, ditto the 20mph zone extension) and too apathetic to vote at local elections. Not that voting would have done much good as all parties consistently get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to transport in Brighton.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I cycle from the Old Steine to the university most days and back again, often through the busiest times.

I'd say that once you get past the bus depot heading up to Coombe Road it's great. However, from The Level all the way to the bus depot is just horrible. The fumes from the buses and cars all sitting along that part of the journey is awful and when you get to the gyratory, well that was bad before but now it's like a suicide run. I've already been forced onto the pavement by a 25 bus to avoid being squashed (I was in the cycle lane at the lights and he just came across me), cars pull out in front of you at Sainsbury's or the BP garage all the time as they try to get across to go up towards five ways. Then you have cars coming out of Upper Lewes Road to get to across to either go up the hill or along Lewes Road.

As soon as the clocks go back I'll be switching to the bus as for me it's just going to be too dangerous in the dark.

My main gripe, I just wish they'd put in place a really good park and ride out by the stadium somewhere. I know that you can't use it on match days but all that space at Bennett's Field and Bridge Road going empty vast amounts of time. We could have a top class route into the city on the bus from there. I think at £3.50 a day, plus the reduced travel times it would be brilliant and people coming off the A27 from Lewes and down from Coldean all turning away from the city rather than into it. The infrastructure is all there now. As I said, would need to work out something on match days during the week but that's not impossible is it.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
its become a nightmare, i can see both sides of the coin, but still feel its really dangerous, and i avoid using it where possible, what annoys me more is the whole city being 20mph in most areas

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bingo, a sensible answer. The CROSS PARTY decision to vastly improve this road for public transport was a brave and so far good one. If you still choose to use your car (those that have a choice), I far from sympathise.

Is a fair point but what doing things like this doesn't do is get many drivers to switch to an alternative form of transport - instead many will continue despite the congestion thus pushing up local pollution and many will do what I do, don't go into the city centre at all. Instead I use the internet to shop or businesses on the edges of the city. There is a real risk of producing a dead city centre with some of these schemes.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The usual battle lines drawn I see. As someone who lives in the area. My principle worry has changed from irritation at the delays caused by this scheme to worries for the safety of those using it. Someone is going to get seriously hurt at either the junction with Coldean Lane or Coombe Road, it's just a matter of time, it's poorly designed and ill thought out and I for one wouldn't want to be riding a bike along there come winter...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is a fair point but what doing things like this doesn't do is get many drivers to switch to an alternative form of transport - instead many will continue despite the congestion thus pushing up local pollution and many will do what I do, don't go into the city centre at all. Instead I use the internet to shop or businesses on the edges of the city. There is a real risk of producing a dead city centre with some of these schemes.

Highly unlikely.

One of the most attractive aspects of the city centre, especially at weekends (when most people get time to go shopping) is the lack of cars in certain areas. There is also an excellent (if partially pricey) bus service into town. Even from the arse end of Hangleton.

There's too much going on for it to be considered 'dead'.

In fact, I avoid certain areas because it's far too crowded.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Totally agree. Not been shopping in Brighton in 5 years.

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
Highly unlikely.

One of the most attractive aspects of the city centre, especially at weekends (when most people get time to go shopping) is the lack of cars in certain areas. There is also an excellent (if partially pricey) bus service into town. Even from the arse end of Hangleton.

There's too much going on for it to be considered 'dead'.

In fact, I avoid certain areas because it's far too crowded.

Indeed, the attraction of central Brighton with its boutique shops intermingled with the larger chains is too great a draw to keep people away, those stuck sitting in their car on their own in traffic jams will slowly learn that using other methods of transport is by far the most efficient and hassle free way to get to town!

And what about ignorant w@nkers who complain about the traffic when they're part of the traffic?

I agree with this to a point TLO but the "traffic" has effectively doubled overnight on the road, I'm not surprised the car drivers are moaning about it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This attitude from bike riders and bus users does grate a bit. If a trip into the town centre for people who live in one of the suburbs was the only type of journey being made then I'd agree with you, but for anyone who doesn't live in Brighton and has to work there cycling is impossible and bus travel is expensive and much less convenient. As you've highlighted, many people don't have a choice.

At the end of the day most people base their preferred mode of transport on a combination of cost and convenience, people don't just choose to drive a car because they are evil or selfish. There seems to be a general attitude in the last few years that it's acceptable to make it harder for people in cars. Why not try to make it easier for everyone? :shrug:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Don't have to use it myself (I don't own a car or a bike and usually walk in Brighton) but a friend of ours lives just off Lewes Road near the Bugle and is based at Brighton University. Her commute has trebled in time, so she now goes the long way and uses Ditchling Road. She's not alone, I'm currently working at home and the queue down to the Fiveways lights at about six in the evening now goes back to Hollingbury Park. Motorists are now trying to beat the queue by using the side roads, there was a stream of cars going past my front door last night.

Has she thought about taking an alternative means of transport?

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
For anyone who doesn't live in Brighton and has to work there cycling is impossible and bus travel is expensive and much less convenient. As you've highlighted, many people don't have a choice.

Exactly the point that many of us have been making.

I personally think the problem is with local residents not realising that there are better ways to travel into town and resorting to using their cars. However if you live or work in a place that doesn't easily have train or bus links to Brighton centre (I.E. not in Brighton itself or on the east coast train line) then I think there is no issue with using your car.

People just need to think more before taking the lazy option, and making it slightly less appealing is probably the way forward!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here