Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar doing it his way

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Turns down a decent striker makes him more foolish than I thought he was
Unless he was unsure whether he was in or out regarding Mr A.Barnes.

I take it Oscar didn't throw the number away.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yesterday's side was not essentially the same side we had last season. Not even close.

Kuszczak, Calderon, Greer, Upson, Crofts, Buckley, Lualua, Barnes joined by Lopez. It may not be identical, but it is certainly close.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So instead we went with Barnes, who most of us (including Garcia I believe) know is not good enough and sacrificed the three points. Let's be honest, the vast majority of our own fans, suspected we would lose yesterday because we had nothing up front. I'm not encouraged by this news at all, in fact Garcia has just gone down a couple of notches if true.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So instead we went with Barnes, who most of us (including Garcia I believe) know is not good enough and sacrificed the three points. Let's be honest, the vast majority of our own fans, suspected we would lose yesterday because we had nothing up front. I'm not encouraged by this news at all, in fact Garcia has just gone down a couple of notches if true.
I don't see how you can form that opinion without, knowing who the player was, or who does eventually come in.

If he turned down Owen yesterday for Drogba tomorrow would it still be the wrong decision?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What would Ince have contributed to our midfield yesterday that Andrews and Crofts didn't offer? He's not a goalscoring midfielder, and our midfield did fine defensively (back four where the issues lay there...)

He (or Bridcutt) fills in the gap in front of the back 4, there was loads of space for their players yesterday.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oscar knows what style of striker he is after , why spend £10k a week bringing in another Barn Door Billy type of forward who isn't an improvement on Barnes for the 4 or 8 weeks he is here on loan ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't see how you can form that opinion without, knowing who the player was, or who does eventually come in.

If he turned down Owen yesterday for Drogba tomorrow would it still be the wrong decision?

You have a point, but if it wasn't someone better than Barnes, I'd be amazed. He really is one of the worst strikers, AT THIS LEVEL I have ever seen wear the stripes. And before everyone starts slagging me off, I've seen quite a few more years of championship/old division 1 football than most on here, but granted not as much as some others. Only McCammon come below Ashley, but least we forget that was at Withdean when we didn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yeah, let's panic, let's get another Billy Paynter on loan.
On Tuesday Leo was fit, and would have played yesterday if he had not got injured. With an international break coming up, the rest/break was upon us.
If a loan striker was coming in, then probably this break would be the time to look at it.
Anybody that thinks a striker could have been brought in between Weds and Friday, a quality one, is a bit deluded.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You have a point, but if it wasn't someone better than Barnes, I'd be amazed. He really is one of the worst strikers, AT THIS LEVEL I have ever seen wear the stripes. And before everyone starts slagging me off, I've seen quite a few more years of championship/old division 1 football than most on here, but granted not as much as some others. Only McCammon come below Ashley, but least we forget that was at Withdean when we didn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of.

Mark Farringdon
Daniel Marney
Chris McPhee

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
hmm.gif
Will be interesting to see who does fit in.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's difficult - do you just accept this new striker because we are desperate - or if you were the manager would you pass on a player that you already know will not fit your system - also knowing that we don't have much money to splash around if he doesn't work and may not be able to fund another?

I think Oscar has shown he is willing to give existing players a decent chance (Barnes etc) and even some youngsters who may not have got much of a look in under Gus (Ince and JFC).

I also wonder how much say Oscar had in the Upson / Chicksen / Kemy / Ward / Andrews / Lopez / Conway deals? OK half of those have been ok, but the remainder.....

We don't know the dynamics behind the scenes at the club but get the impression that Oscar is presented with new players by Burke. Maybe it isn't quite as simple as that. Oscar has been loyal by playing most of them including Kemy and Spanish Dave when they aren't fit. It has now got to the stage with his own reputation on the line that Oscar would understandably insist on some input into any new deals. I think I would.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Mark Farringdon
Daniel Marney
Chris McPhee

Pmsl, oh yeah...Farrington....But we all know what happened when Marney and McPhee started a season in this division and we still had Zamora to return from injury. Like I say, that was at Withdean when lets be honest, we were just happy to have a club still. Can't use that as an excuse these days.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Also shows that the club have a plan and are not in a state of panic like some ...

Bringing in a loan player before an International break is silly , paying a week or 10 days loan fee when there is no need to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here