Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First sub 2 hour marathon

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It doesn't work like this though. Take a look at current marathon WR holder Wilson Kipsang. His PB at 10K is 28 minutes 37 seconds which is a full 2 minutes off the 10k WR.

Yes, I see your point, but Mo is touted as a 5/10k runner; reasonably so given his achievements! Kipsang is primarily a marathon runner. Arguably Mo is a better 1500m runner than he is at 5/10k (going by his time). If Mo gets a marathon WR, it would make him a legend, equivalent to Bolt. I'd love to see it happen; I just have my doubts, s'all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, I see your point, but Mo is touted as a 5/10k runner; reasonably so given his achievements! Kipsang is primarily a marathon runner. Arguably Mo is a better 1500m runner than he is at 5/10k (going by his time). If Mo gets a marathon WR, it would make him a legend, equivalent to Bolt. I'd love to see it happen; I just have my doubts, s'all.

Kipsang ran the shorter distances earlier in his career just like Mo. No runner starts off running 26.2, it's a distance you move to later in life. My point is that middle-distance is not a barometer for marathon running. I have no idea how Mo will do in London but we cannot write him off because of his relatively poor 10k times.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Mo's pb at 10k on the track would see him finish a marathon in about 112 mins. A marathon is 4.2 times as far so is he likely to achieve that? Given he has not yet beaten one hour for half marathon, running twice as far at a higher average pace seems unlikely.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
it would be amazing.....seeing a number appear 1.59:59 instead of 2.00.01 - wow, i would be so happy - amazing, really hope i see this in my life.

it would mean someone has trained to run fast, wow - i can't wait to see this.

sheesh, with the increased tech in drugs n stimulants this is innevitable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
it would be amazing.....seeing a number appear 1.59:59 instead of 2.00.01 - wow, i would be so happy - amazing, really hope i see this in my life.

it would mean someone has trained to run fast, wow - i can't wait to see this.

sheesh, with the increased tech in drugs n stimulants this is innevitable.

There already have been numerous sub 2 hour marathons, most notably Mohammed Atta in 2001.

The NWO feared that world recognition of the fact a human could travel at such a speed for such a duration of time would upset the political balance between the Scientologists and the Illumnati. They therefore decided to stage September the 11th and set Atta up as the ringleader to discredit his time. They stored all media records of the achievement in Tower 7, which was remote detonated by Glenn Miller in his WW3 bunker in the Florida everglades.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A whopping 26 seconds were taken off the world record today with the first sub 2 hours 3 minutes marathon. Record now stands at 2:02:57.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bounce

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can bounce all you want, but Kenyan middle and long distance athletes have all the credibility of Lance Armstrong saying 'I never doped'.

The first sub 2 hour marathon will be cheated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can bounce all you want, but Kenyan middle and long distance athletes have all the credibility of Lance Armstrong saying 'I never doped'.

Presumably applies to those who train with them too ? So that's Mo and Paula guilty as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
you can bounce all you want, but kenyan middle and long distance athletes have all the credibility of lance armstrong saying 'i never doped'.

sauce?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dont they test these chaps then?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

It appears not that much! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21771213

And when they do, they're not that bothered if they're cheating! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2480574/Kenya-face-Olympic-ban-failing-react-17-positive-drugs-tests.html

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Presumably applies to those who train with them too ? So that's Mo and Paula guilty as well.
Being English doesn't automatically stop you from being a doper.
Mo has done very little to distance himself (no pun intended) from a corrupt system.
Similarly neither has Usain Bolt and the Jamaican Federation.
Does that make them dopers of course not, does it make it easy to draw a line between the two, yes it does.
If you don't want to put 'Kenyan athletes - doping' into google, to find considerably more stories like the 2 IL highlighted for you.
You could pick your way through NSC's compendium of cheating:-
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...g-charges-part-deux&highlight=lance+armstrong

No sophisticated programme of doping will get caught 'in competition'.
If you're not being properly tested out of comp you're free to do as you please.

I'm a cyclist, I love cycling, I've had this as part of my sport forever, but on a different level over the last 20 years.
It's so frustrating having my sport which is the cleanest it's ever been used as the byword for doping.
When all the mistakes cycling made are being repeated across the board in most, if not all, mainstream sports.

If you want to argue widespread doping in sport with a cycling fan, sadly, you need to bring your 'A' game.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not sure it's possible, eventually as a race we will reach a peak regardless of how good training becomes etc look at horse racing, they are no faster now than they were 30 years ago

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure it's possible, eventually as a race we will reach a peak regardless of how good training becomes etc look at horse racing, they are no faster now than they were 30 years ago
Oh blimey, for the time being at least, lets keep the issue of doping in sport on 2 legs. :lol: :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here