Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Squad for the Ashes tour down under 2013/2014

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm still amazed they still have selectors, can't they just leave it to Cook and Flower

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

England's football team had its best % win record with a selection committee!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Vic Marks was in the I today saying he though Rayner was an outside shout, quote surprised he's not in the performance squad.

Can't understand why you'd have Carberry over Compton in the squad either
I wasn't saying Rayner disparagingly, but I'd never seen his name mentioned as a potential tourist. The fact he does appear to be on some people's radar does show how light we are in the spin department.

With regard to Carberry/Compton I was just raising an eyebrow, it does smack a little bit of 'revolving door' selection policy which was a sympton of the Bad Old Days. I accept that Compton was rightly dropped and has done nothing to stake a claim for a tour spot let alone a Test place, but he had, stats wise, a better season than Carberry and at a higher level. Carberry's claim does seem to be based on one doughty innings in an ODI and the fact he's NOT Compton. (Well it's certainly not based on his previous Test appearance).

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Let's hope that this does Monty some good. No Onions, Bresnan or Compton. Is Bresnan injured?

Will they stick with the current batting line up, or put Carberry in to open and put Root at 5/6? Or something else entirely?

Carberry will be back up only, top 5 is set and I would guess its a battle between Bairstow, Ballance and Stokes for No 6 With either Finn, Tremlett, Rankin or Panesar being the fourth bowler, depending on conditions

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Why are we playing the ashes again? Thought it was every two years? Apologies if a ridiculous question.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why are we playing the ashes again? Thought it was every two years? Apologies if a ridiculous question.

Sensationally this. Fracking cricket. Why won't it just flop off and leave us alone? Jesus CHRIST I'm sick of Ashes talk. A load of posh twats mincing about in a field for an urn. Literally the most pointless "sport" out there.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

All to do with rearranging Test Match Schedules to accommodate the format that really matters i.e. 1 Day Cricket, in this case the World Cup. And yes it is a load of bollocks but we are just the punters.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sensationally this. Fracking cricket. Why won't it just flop off and leave us alone? Jesus CHRIST I'm sick of Ashes talk. A load of posh twats mincing about in a field for an urn. Literally the most pointless "sport" out there.

I'm struggling with the concept, of 'all this Ashes talk'. I've only noticed the one thread, which you'd think would be quite easy to simply not click on, if it so offended you?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Oh give over won't you, cricket is easily avoided, the press barely pays attention unless it's the Ashes, it's not on terestial TV (aside from a woeful highlights show & the IPL,) hell you even have to turn over to Sports Extra on the radio. Football takes complete precedence over it in every way.

Imagine being a cricket fan who doesn't like football, where the football season has got longer and longer, every other year you have a major tournament with blanket press coverage to contend with, the papers can't even leave it alone in the off season and rather than write more about cricket, make up ludicrous transfer rumours. And all this for a game of overpaid prima-donnas, who couldn't give a toss about the club they play for as long as their latest cheque clears, where cheating barely raises an eyebrow and the where the integrity of the world governing body has been brought into question.

As luck would have it, I love both.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
We are woefully short of decent spinners.

I agree with Carberry over Compton, mind you. Compton just never convinces me whenever I see him.

The same could be said of Carberry for me. Not convinced. Hope he proves me wrong.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Onions has a good right to feel aggrieved. He's taken over 140 CC wickets in the last 2 seasons at a smidgen over 18. Never let England down in the past either. If Jimmy went down, the bowling looks very one dimensional, unless Breslad gets fit.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Onions has a good right to feel aggrieved. He's taken over 140 CC wickets in the last 2 seasons at a smidgen over 18. Never let England down in the past either. If Jimmy went down, the bowling looks very one dimensional, unless Breslad gets fit.

They are obsessed with big blokes who bowl fast. Tremlett and Broad are special but at the moment we have Finn and Rankin,(neither of whom i'm massively convinced by at the moment) , it's all a bit samey.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They are obsessed with big blokes who bowl fast.

Never did the Windies any harm though! But yes essentially this is what I'm saying. Jimmy is really the only one who moves the ball, Stokes on occasion has the ability to swing the ball (both ways) but I wouldn't rely on it.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Never did the Windies any harm though! But yes essentially this is what I'm saying. Jimmy is really the only one who moves the ball, Stokes on occasion has the ability to swing the ball (both ways) but I wouldn't rely on it.

If we had a load of brilliant bowlers who were all big and fast i wouldn't have a problem. My point is Onions is a brilliant bowler, Finn and Rankin aren't but they've gone above him because the are big and fast

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
From the Guardian

STAT OF THE WEEK

77 – the total number of wickets taken in first-class cricket this season by Boyd Rankin, Steven Finn and Chris Tremlett, at a combined average of 29.

69 – the total number of wickets taken in first-class cricket this season by Graham Onions, all on his own, at an average of 18.

Onions, has, of course, the advantage of playing his home games at the Riverside, a boon for any seam bowler. Away from the ground, he has taken a mere 28 wickets in five matches at an average of 19.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here